Another school shooting, but not in USA.. In Finland

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Yeah, 8(+1) dead.

Globalisation really is the "bomb" as we say, no school shooting i've heard of ever happened before this.

Wasn't near it, in case anyone here was concerned.

Golly

Fledgling Freddie
video no longer available?

can't blame one shooting on globalization really, even though globalization will be the death of the planet/human race

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
video no longer available?

can't blame one shooting on globalization really, even though globalization will be the death of the planet/human race

Well, in a sense no, but in a sense, without the US school shootings, would this guy have done it or just off himself?

Dahakon

Fledgling Freddie
Well, in a sense no, but in a sense, without the US school shootings, would this guy have done it or just off himself?

Maybe, the worst school shooting in the UK happened before Columbine et al, then some crazy guy walked into Dunblane Primary School and shot 17 people and himself. That was back in 1996, before all the recent big ones in the US got splashed all over the media.

Golly

Fledgling Freddie

well this is blame that should be directed at the media, which I guess you could attribute to globalization

at the same time, he could have done this off his own back, maybe some personal vendetta against schools due to poor childhood?

have to add the opposite argument to your points toht :p

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
well this is blame that should be directed at the media, which I guess you could attribute to globalization

at the same time, he could have done this off his own back, maybe some personal vendetta against schools due to poor childhood?

have to add the opposite argument to your points toht :p

Yeah i know and they are good points, it is possible he could've been the original school shooter, but as it was, he wasn't and i'm betting the idea came from the recent news.

Which brings another interesting idea.

If games were to blame for school shootings in the US/(or UK), can we now blame the news for this one?

No matter how or what is speculated, it's rather close for comfort when it's less then 20km from where i live. Not to mention that Finland is a rather "safe" country to live in.

Same was when we had a carbomb explode, back in 2003 or so, a block from our apartment and right at the street where i used to walk to work, at the normal "go to work time". I was late that morning, 'cause my alarm clock ran out of batteries.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Some info from a finnish news site(might lose some content in translation):

-----
The video was released on youtube just before the shooting, but the user has registered for over two weeks ago.

The shooter has made clear in his blog that noone of hsi family, or friends, or movies or games should be blamed for this.

Paraphrasing: "This is my war, my idea and my plan."

The man also informs he's an avid supporter of darwinism and nazism, and says:

"Time to put the natural selection and survival of the fittest back on track."

He also says his reasons are deeper and more political then simply a "school shooting".
-----

So it seems it was not just someone "snapping", it was a really planned event.

Calaen

I am a massive cock who isn't firing atm!

Who cares whether he would have done it or not, you cannot blame everyone else/anyone else for someones actions.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Who cares whether he would have done it or not, you cannot blame everyone else/anyone else for someones actions.

Ofcourse not...

Not what it was about.

Anyway, have to say that the finnish healthcare industry showed how good they really are.

After the shooting was announced, 14 operating rooms were up and running in a matter of minutes.

Golly

Fledgling Freddie

twasn't the point, if it was just a barmey bloke who hated life etc, might not have chosen to take out a classroom of kids before popping his own clogs etc, might have been old fashioned and headed for a bridge or large building to jump off

so with the natural selection PoV- did he discriminate in which kids he shot? or does it look more like someone trying to act clever without any real motives?

givf links!

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
All links are in finnish so sorry to say, me and other fins are your only source of info on this.

CorNokZ

Currently a stay at home dad
Am I the only one thinking this is incredibly tragic?

Seems like you're all just trying to point fingers and figure out why this insane 18y old bastard decided to one day to just start shooting the ppl around him..

kivik

Part of the furniture
"Time to put the natural selection and survival of the fittest back on track."

Woa, he must has misunderstood 'survival of the fittest' baaaaaaadly!

There are probably many small things that encouraged him to push himself over the edge. But I think, like many other serial killers, mental illness/problems is the main issue.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Am I the only one thinking this is incredibly tragic?

Seems like you're all just trying to point fingers and figure out why this insane 18y old bastard decided to one day to just start shooting the ppl around him..

I'm not really "showing my concern of tragedy" as i'm still trying to see what happened and where.

It's mostly disturbing as it's so close.

All untimely death is tragic by default.

Gorbachioo

Fledgling Freddie
Deeper reasons my ass. These fucking low lives are only after the fame and "respect".

I hate the fact that these school shooters are always portrayed as criminal masterminds who have deeper reasons to do what they do.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
News at choose:

8 dead, the shooter shot himself in the head, but didn't die, and is in critical condition. So chances are, with the nice free healthcare, that he'll survive and be punished by the long arm of the law.

Also the basic, friend tells "he was a happy and normal young guy. He had been a bit "to himself" lately, but nothing special."

kivik

Part of the furniture
If that's defined as 'normal guy' we're in deep shit mates!

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
He was evidently happy, normal, doing great in school, very intelligent for his age, interested in tons of stuff.

Just the opposite of what one would expect and you are right, it is a bit concerning.

Golly

Fledgling Freddie
everyone has the potential for these things, man's dark side etc

Saggy

Can't get enough of FH
Funnily enough I talked about school shootings yesterday with few friends and we all were very surprised why there hasn't been one in Finland yet. Now that this happened all I'm thinking is when the next one will happen - the ball is rolling...

The shooter labelled his acts as "one man's war" which probably is true but his profile is scarily similar to one I described yesterday about potential shooter. Finnish society is built for females and the "butt-raping" of males equal rights starts as soon as at the 1st grade - while the stereotype of Finnish man is humble and silent one day he might think that enough is enough and either A) commit suicide B) revenge (and what place would fit better than the place where all started?) or C) do both.

My condolences for those who lost their loved ones.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Well, didn't want to mention it, but since Saggy opened the door of "previous speaches", i talked to my friends last weekend about "finland not having anything like 9/11 or 7/7" and how lucky we were to live in a such "small country".

Well, be careful what you ask for i guess.

Laddey

FH is my second home
Well, didn't want to mention it, but since Saggy opened the door of "previous speaches", i talked to my friends last weekend about "finland not having anything like 9/11 or 7/7"

Touch wood!

No country deserves anything like that.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Touch wood!

No country deserves anything like that.

I know, it just came up in a conversation as "part of it", and i simply was telling how lucky we were not to have one. Did say "knock wood" and all that, as per usual, but still.

Laddey

FH is my second home
I know, it just came up in a conversation as "part of it", and i simply was telling how lucky we were not to have one. Did say "knock wood" and all that, as per usual, but still.

Do Finland have an army?

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Do Finland have an army?

Mandatory for any male at 17-18(i think) if no illness to prevent it. Also women are joining(not mandatory) in quite numbers.

Which, for a 5-6mil country is quite nice as at wartime etc, everyone is trained and called upon as soldiers, many take it as a profession(so we get real experts), and in effect, the whole country goes to war.

Laddey

FH is my second home
We do. Infact all males in Finland have to do some time in the army.

Atleast it gives little fuckers abit of discipline huh?

Do you get chavs and shit in Finland?

(sorry for turning it offtopic)

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Atleast it gives little fuckers abit of discipline huh?

Do you get chavs and shit in Finland?

(sorry for turning it offtopic)

An english person might class people as chav in finland, but as a term, i don't think we have.

We've got our way of saying "that guy is a metalhead" etc, but there's no english style class system.

Usually it's just some foreigners and black people that people are "against".

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom