Another Recommendations Request Thread

X

Xtro

Morning :)

Pay day and I'm after two bits for my PC.

Wonder if anyone could recommend a particular product:

First a HDD, preferably 120gb and 7200rpm.

Secondly a DVD writer, one that hopefully is multi-format. I'm not mega clued up on DVD writers but am aware of DVD-R minus or wtf - ie. the diff formats. Not sure who's winning the race and don't care as long as the drive I get isn't useless in 2 months :)

Money is not a problem, however I'm from Yorkshire so will still take the cheaper alternative ;).

Cheers.

T

Testin da Cable

HDD: get a westeren digital caviar drive with the 8 meg cache and/or maxtor have an 8 meg cached drive out too. whichever floats your boat.

DVD-R: tdc sez don't buy a writer yet, though I'm slow to adopt "new" tech 'specially when the standards battles are still going on :/

K

kameleon

for the dvd writer I suggest the pioneer a106 its multi format and going for about £135 inncluding VAT at www.spotonuk.com

L

lovedaddy

If your sure you want a multi format, I'd second the A106.
If your just after the - format, the 105 is spot on.

Not trying to sound negative on the + format (which I know is technically better), but my 105 (minus only) does ps2, xbox, dvd films and mini GC dvds without hitch.

L

lovedaddy

The 106 can cut minus media at the same speed as the 105 (4x, about 17 mins for a full 4.7 gig dvd).

I dont have a 106, but it looks like a nice drive.

X

Xtro

Ta muchly, 106 it is then and I think a maxtor for the HDD.

K

kameleon

I have one and my dad bought one on my reccomendation. They are a god drive , you can write practically anything on them and while the cd writing speed isnt ultra fast (16x) it performs well.

I havent had any 4.7 GB coaster yet either. Bear in mind its an OEM product you wont get any burning software with it, and if you use nero you'll need to upgrade past 5.5.24.

W

Will

I've had a Maxtor die on me after a sudden power cut, while my WD drive has survived a lot of them.

T

Testin da Cable

I once had a Maxtor DOA, once had a WD die after 5 years of work and we use lots of seagates at workies. I have both M and WD at home and have never had a problem.

X

Xtro

Ordered a Pioneer 106 :) Will now go for the WD HDD, so here endeth the argument and ta AGAIN! :)

T

TedTheDog

I've had 4 maxtor drives die in the last year. They're shit. Dont buy maxtor. If you do, please tell me so I can point and laugh.
I've got a few of those WD drives now. Seem fine so far.

And I've got a a104 dvd writer and its fine. The 106 looks nice, but I wonder why TDC suggests not buying anything right now. Something new coming our way TDC?

T

Testin da Cable

not that I know of, though I wish I could say something constructive about it. I'm just really really slow at adopting "new" technology (new being things like RDRAM, USB, dvdR(W) and whatnot). I play a waiting game and lay low...at least until there's a more-or-less stable standard.

I must add though, that reading the specs of that 106 model leads me to believe that it supports both the rival standards. is that correct? did I miss something? do tell!

K

kameleon

Yes TeeDee it supports both - r and +r formats for normal media and rw media. The price has dropped 16 quid in the three weeks since my dad bought his, I think this is because there are a lot of 8x writers being realeased on to the market. At around 20p per gigabyte, dvd writers are a cheap and conveient method of backing up your information.

Edit: I also wouldnt touch Maxtor drives with a 10 foot pole, I've had 3 die on me within as many years. Western Digital all the way!

S

Sawtooth

Had nothing but probs with Maxtor so I avoid them like the plague. Western Digital Caviar has a good review but I have to say I wentr for a Seagate Barracuda SATA drive (120GB/7200) as its very very quiet and thats important to me.

E

Embattle

Had a problem with a single drive out of a 4 drive Maxtor RAID once, although using the Powermax Utility fixed it. Other than that I've had a number of Maxtors without problems and only one drive that ever had to be sent back, a Seagate Drive.

BTW the Pioneer 106 is one of the best atm.

X

Xtro

Blimey, ordered the Pioneer from SVP yesterday - its here today \o/

Ordered WD 120gb 8megcache HDD from ebuyer - prob be here Monday-Wed next week...sigh.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom