Another maths question! (trigonometric identities)

Bugz

Fledgling Freddie
Fuck this unit is hard.

Anywho - any help with this?

Find to the nearest integer, the values of x in the interval 0 < x < 180 degrees for:

3 sin (squared) x - 7 cos 3x - 5 = 0

I've tried putting it into the quad. formula to find the 2 possible solutions and finding separate Primary angles for each but my answers don't match those in the back:

36, 84, 156 (all degrees).

ASTC applies here btw :)

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
LOL isn't it nice to know that once you've finished school most of us never have to bother with that shit for the rest of our lives

leviathane

Part of the furniture
3 sin (squared) x - 7 cos 3x - 5 = 0

I've tried putting it into the quad. formula to find the 2 possible solutions and finding separate Primary angles for each but my answers don't match those in the back:
have you tried putting it into the same form? ie in cos form?

Jugvayne

Can't get enough of FH
Are you sure that is the right equation? Try putting the values of x in; they don't work.

ileks

Part of the furniture
We did this ages ago, and most of the time you would just do:

sin(squared)X = cos(squared)X - 1 or something

and substitute values in, factorise to get the different values of X. (also i think because its 7cos3x you would do 0<3x<540). Then use a CAST diagram

Jugvayne

Can't get enough of FH
We did this ages ago, and most of the time you would just do:

sin(squared)X = cos(squared)X - 1 or something

and substitute values in, factorise to get the different values of X. (also i think because its 7cos3x you would do 0<3x<540). Then use a CAST diagram

The identity is sin^2 x = 1 - cos^2 x. You cannot however use that equation in this situation then factorise, cos x and cos 3x are completely different functions of x. It is possible to get a cubic in cos x since cos 3x = 4cos^3 x -3cos x, but this is pretty irrelevant since Bugz must have given the wrong equation or the wrong solutions from the book as they don't work in the equation. :p

ileks

Part of the furniture
yeah when i tried i couldnt factorise because of the 7cos3x part, would have been ok if it was just 7cosx. /shrug

Bugz

Fledgling Freddie
3 sin (squared) 3x - 7 cos 3x - 5 = 0

:d

Managed it ^^

My typing error owned me.

Jugvayne

Can't get enough of FH
Ahh righteo. Well I'm guessing you used sin^2 3x = 1 - cos^2 3x

re-arranging that you should get a quadratic in cos 3x that should factorise nicely.

(3cos3x + 1)(cos 3x + 2)

Remember that one of the solutions will be invalid since |cos 3x| < 1.

Also remember when your inverse cos your valid root, you'll get two answers for 3x, one positive and one negative.

Say if you still can't get the given answers.

Edit: nevermind then :p I'm guessing you're on Core 2 or something, wait till the trig gets even more fun at Core 3 and 4, and even FP2

Bugz

Fledgling Freddie
Ahh righteo. Well I'm guessing you used sin^2 3x = 1 - cos^2 3x

re-arranging that you should get a quadratic in cos 3x that should factorise nicely.

(3cos3x + 1)(cos 3x + 2)

Remember that one of the solutions will be invalid since |cos 3x| < 1.

Also remember when your inverse cos your valid root, you'll get two answers for 3x, one positive and one negative.

Say if you still can't get the given answers.

Edit: nevermind then :p I'm guessing you're on Core 2 or something, wait till the trig gets even more fun at Core 3 and 4, and even FP2

I didn't actually notice that factorisation there - so I used the quadratic formula.

And yes, currently C2. We're doing C1, C2 and M1 in January and C3, C4, M2 in June/July.

Golena

Fledgling Freddie
I spent most of my A-level maths course in McDonalds instead..

I'm now starting to remember why!

Nate

FH is my second home
Sorry I'm only a qualified FH-Doctor, if you have any medical problems I can help you..but Math's? Fuck off!

Huntingtons

Resident Freddy
Sorry I'm only a qualified FH-Doctor, if you have any medical problems I can help you..but Math's? Fuck off!

in a qualified FH-Paedo, if you have any children problems send the kids to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom