Another Mars movie

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Well, not quite:

Opportunity-b-1632-1634-ncam-victoria-egress-anim.gif

Shagrat

I am a FH squatter
best mars movie ive seen in a while. Just awesome that we've got robots driving around on another planet sending us pictures.

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
Would colour be too much to ask?

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
best mars movie ive seen in a while. Just awesome that we've got robots driving around on another planet sending us pictures.
I still can't get over the sheer brilliance of that landing.

Job

Very good..but they dropped the two viking landers in the 70s in exactly the same way

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Very good..but they dropped the two viking landers in the 70s in exactly the same way

Erm no. The Viking landers used integral parachutes and rockets to slow their descent. Curiosity was delivered by a separate vehicle, which, once it had delivered its payload, fucked off somewhere else. That's very, very cool.

Job

Yes ok..they used a skycrane..but it was just a twist on the same principle...I think the polar lander was the same?

Job

They should have let Cameron put the latest 3D movie cameras on it...then maybe someone outside of geeksville would be interested in it.

rynnor

Rockhound
Access Denied said:
It's about time we had a base on the Moon tbqfh.

Not much point really except as a training base for mars and we still havent figured a lot of the problems out with a human mars mission.

3D printing may solve some of the issues - they have already tested rocket parts made by a printer.

It could mean a massive difference in the payload - particularly if you can print using local materials.

Access Denied

It was like that when I got here...
Not much point really except as a training base for mars and we still havent figured a lot of the problems out with a human mars mission.

3D printing may solve some of the issues - they have already tested rocket parts made by a printer.

It could mean a massive difference in the payload - particularly if you can print using local materials.

I disagree with the first part but agree with the rest. Non-terrestrial manufacturing would solve a multitude of problems surrounding getting the stuff into Space. The savings made by not having to shift the stuff into orbit would eventually more then offset the cost of building the base in the first place. It would not only serve as a training base for Mars missions but for a whole host of other things as well.

Access Denied

It was like that when I got here...
Food production for example. The problem faced by astronauts experimenting with growing things in space is that in a zero-gravity environment the plant gets, well, confused as to which way to grow. Building massive greenhouses on the Moon would solve a lot of this because it does have gravity, hopefully enough to let them grow. Think about it, the Moon is a quarter the size of the Earth, even if you only use 20% of the place for food production you're going to solve world hunger at a stroke.

noblok

Part of the furniture
Food production for example. The problem faced by astronauts experimenting with growing things in space is that in a zero-gravity environment the plant gets, well, confused as to which way to grow. Building massive greenhouses on the Moon would solve a lot of this because it does have gravity, hopefully enough to let them grow. Think about it, the Moon is a quarter the size of the Earth, even if you only use 20% of the place for food production you're going to solve world hunger at a stroke.
World hunger is not a problem of too little production, though.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Organic Moon potatoes, I like it.

Job

Yeah right..the west throws away a third of its food..so lets grow some more on the Moon

rynnor

Rockhound
The moon is not really terraformable - too small to sustain an atmosphere and tidally locked.

Thats why Mars is so attractive - in theory you could actually give it an atmosphere and have a cooler earth 2 - transferring whole biomes wholesale.

Need to work out what destroyed its original atmosphere though.

Also would need to work on its magnetic field to try and lower the radiation.

Still a second world would vastly increase the life expectancy of our species.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Need to work out what destroyed its original atmosphere though.

Also would need to work on its magnetic field to try and lower the radiation.

The lack of a powerful magnetic field means that the sun blasts much of the atmos into space?

Mars is too cool. Needs a big molten iron core :)

rynnor

Rockhound
Scouse said:
The lack of a powerful magnetic field means that the sun blasts much of the atmos into space?

Mars is too cool. Needs a big molten iron core :)

I favour the catastrophic impact scenario personally.

Mars almost certainly had liquid water on the surface 2 billion years ago and right by the asteroid belt you'd expect it to get regular recharging.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom