Another gfx problem

wyrd

Fledgling Freddie
There seem to be a lot of them on here...

There should be a couple of screenshots attached. Basically, the whole screen looks splintered and broken into spears of colour. It all flickers and shifts, and nothing seems to improve it. At times, it gets bad enough to block the whole screen.

When I took these screenshots, both images were crossed and splintered with lines of corrupted graphics. Looking at them outside the game, only one of them has a problem (confusing...).

I'm running in windowed mode, but the problem remains when I switch to full-screen.

Basically, I've played with all the game display settings (the ss were taken with everything set as high as posisble - it seems to make no difference), and with my gfx card settings a bit (not much as I don't know much about it). I'm running a PIV 2.8, 1G RAM, GeForce 4 ti4200 w AGP8x (which is listed as a fully supported card). The card drivers are up to date and have been reinstalled, and I've upgraded to DirectX 9b. The DAOC installation is new (I've played before, but not for some time, and I had to reinstall the game).

As always, GOA's tech support is taking forever to respond, so I thought I'd look for solutions elsewhere. The only ideas I can come up with are a fault on the card or a monitor problem - has anyone got any other ideas? All help appreciated :D

Attachments

• sshot000.jpg
    sshot000.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 35
  • sshot001.jpg
    sshot001.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 38

plastic

One of Freddy's beloved
Hi.

These settings can be found in your graphic card options. (I'm not sure your card supports all of this, so if you can't find one of them that's why :p)

Turn off Anisotropic filtering.
Turn off Anti Aliasing.
Set AGP speed to 4X. If that doesn't work try 2X.

I've also read that changing AGP volture in BIOS from 1.6 to 1.7 can solve lots of stuttering/buggy graphic problems, you might want to try that too.

plastic

One of Freddy's beloved
And btw, the answer you will get from RightNow will most likely be:

"Can you send the DxDiag? Press 'Start' -> 'Run' and then type 'dxdiag' then press save"

After that they will tell you to:

- Re-install mainboard drivers.
- Re-install graphical drivers.
- Re-install DirectX.

And after that, if the problem still isn't solved, they will tell you that there is something wrong on your hardware.

wyrd

Fledgling Freddie
Thanks...

Cheers, plastic - helpful advice.

Unfortunately, none of it worked - but I managed to borrow a low-end card from a friend, and that works fine. Slow and jerky, but otherwise fine. So I suspect I need a new card. Rats.

Any recommendations from anyone on what to get? Money no object for the purposes of daydreaming :).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom