No idea Another fork stuck in the road.....

Jeros

Part of the furniture
Well I ended up staying in University and will graduate around March time.

Now I have a choice.

Take an entry level Geographical/Geological role and bring in between 20-40k

Or

Do vocational programming training for another two years to net myself a programming role for around 30k a year

Or

Begin my emigration process to Australia with the aim of getting granted residency within two years (may end up working for the Aussie government), which as always has been the long term goal.

FUCCCCKKK, it was a lot easier when it was "sometime in future", now I actually have to start thinking seriously about things....

Also the pay for programmers in Australia seems pretty crap :/

djpringle

Pork Smuggler
Hmmm, not really knowing the demand for geology based professions in Australia but imagining they would be, due to all the mining and oil activities that are going on at the moment, I would go for the entry level geology role, get the experience and then emigrate.

According to the Australians at work, things are expensive as hell down under at the moment so I would certainly aim for a higher paying profession when making your move.

Jeros

Part of the furniture
Oh thank god, they have removed the requirement for relevant professional experience in the visa process, phew.

pikeh

Resident Freddy
Dont get the whole big deal with Australia personally. the first option sounds the most interesting to me, especially if you have chosen that as your degree.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Well one would have to ask; do you want to do geo stuff, or programming?

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Well one would have to ask; do you want to do geo stuff, or programming?

This.

Dont get the whole big deal with Australia personally

And this. My brother lives there. Nice place to visit, IMO.

If you've been to Oz, want to live there and it's your real "long term" goal - stuff the "long term" - man up and go there now. They're a bunch of lazy bar stewards and anyone with a work ethic will do well. :)

Tilda

Now I have a choice.

Do the first one, you'll find it a million times more easy to get into Aus, and when you're there get a job in Aus if you've got a few years experience under your belt first.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
To add to the previous;

If you choose to go down under and don't like it; you're f*cked.

If you do an education, then go there, you have a backup.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
I'd add to previous - lots of people get a job and lose their spine.

"I can't afford it" or "it's not the right time" or "I need to save some cash first" become their excuses for not having the balls or the get-up-and-go to leave.

You're young, free and single. NOW is the time to go. If it doesn't work out you can always come back.....

Agell

One of Freddy's beloved
To add to the previous;

If you choose to go down under and don't like it; you're f*cked.

If you do an education, then go there, you have a backup.

This exactly, living out in Adelaide at the moment after doing some vocational qualifications, I was lucky and after completing them (+ afew years experience) I got sponsored to come out, as others have said it is very expensive over here but the family are loving it.

Agell

One of Freddy's beloved
I'd add to previous - lots of people get a job and lose their spine.

"I can't afford it" or "it's not the right time" or "I need to save some cash first" become their excuses for not having the balls or the get-up-and-go to leave.

You're young, free and single. NOW is the time to go. If it doesn't work out you can always come back.....

This too, if you want to (can) come out here don't overthink it.... just do it. It isn't easy to start off, but I wouldn't change a thing (other than having a house that stays warm in winter!)

Jeros

Part of the furniture
Lived out their before so I know the lay of the land.

I am just surprised I would have the opportunity so soon.

Poag

m00?
Hmmm, not really knowing the demand for geology based professions in Australia but imagining they would be, due to all the mining and oil activities that are going on at the moment, I would go for the entry level geology role, get the experience and then emigrate.

According to the Australians at work, things are expensive as hell down under at the moment so I would certainly aim for a higher paying profession when making your move.
Really? With the Aussie mining industry being massive i would have thought geologists would be in demand?

ECA

I am a FH squatter
Australia? Where every form of wildlife can kill you? Fuck that!
Any country with poisonous spiders bigger than my hand is off the visit list let alone the emigrate to list.

Chilly

Balls of steel
Go to Aus now and work for a mining firm and make a fortune. I know a couple of people who do that who moved there from here in pretty much your situation. JFDI.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
I would rather live in NZ myself, the wildlife doesn't try and kill you at every opportunity.

However, my cousin moved out there with pretty much nothing and hasn't looked back, runs his own plumbing business now.

rynnor

Rockhound
Join Anglo American - I have visited their HQ by St James which is fantastic and the company has such diverse activities you could have a really interesting career.

Gumbo

FH is my second home

Now I have a choice.

Do this one, with as big a multinational as you can, then absolutely work your fucking arse off for a few years, hopefully travel lots and learn all about the world. You might end up in Australia, you might end up anywhere, but whatever you'll end up with $$$

Or
Do vocational programming training for another two years to net myself a programming role for around 30k a year

Hahahahah, No.

Begin my emigration process to Australia with the aim of getting granted residency within two years (may end up working for the Aussie government), which as always has been the long term goal.

FUCCCCKKK, it was a lot easier when it was "sometime in future", now I actually have to start thinking seriously about things....

Also the pay for programmers in Australia seems pretty crap :/

See the answer to the first part.

I'm suprised you need to be asking the question.

I'm assuming you've got a good degree from a good Uni, that can get you work with BP/Shell/whoever.

Chilly

Balls of steel
Unless you're unusually skilled in programming, don't even consider it. It's a commodity these days. Unless you've got distributed and large scale systems experience, high end graphics or scientific programming experience there's not really much point. Or finance of course.

SilverHood

FH is my second home
Go Ausieland, go now. Take a job meanwhile, if they have operations in Australia even better.... then get transferred down there and they pay for your move!

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
I can't even begin to understand why you're entertaining the idea of programming over geology. Haven't you actually read the business section like...ever?

Overdriven

Dumpster Fire of The South
Take the job.
Get the experience.
Leave for 6 months to a year.
Come back.

I've currently done #1, am gaining #2, plan to do #3 in a year or two/three (when completely medically clear and considered more experienced), then #4 when you're sick of #4.

Chilly actually tried helping me getting some work 2 years ago or so, and it hasn't changed. Luckily I hit a niché market and got lucky with what I do, I'd take the exp over anything these days tbh. - I didn't end up where I expected (Programming I thought, not anymore) and I think it's for the better, so I wish you luck with your decision.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Reading all these replies, i can't help asking whatever happened to doing what you love, instead of doing what pays you big bucks?

djpringle

Pork Smuggler
Studying a subject at university should indicate a preference or love for that particular subject, otherwise why wouldn't you change halfway through or whatever.
It seems in this case there are 2 subjects that Jeros is passionate about but can't quite decide on...in fact it might just be the case that going to Oz is the 'love' bit.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
i can't help asking whatever happened to doing what you love

Nothing that I love, at all, pays money in this economy.

Capitalism provides menial, depressing, boring jobs to the vast majority of people IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom