Another boring "my pc crashes" thread

M

mincepie

Really doing my head in now. I know I've got a shit pc but these crashes are getting stupid. Doesnt happen in any other game or package. Only DAoC.

Ok.

Spec (lol)

Duron 1.1
768mb RAM
GF2 Ultra (not clocked) (may2003 dets from memory)
80gig 7200 HD (60gig free 2gig free on win partition)
1Mb Cable
Win2k (wont go to XP for various reasons)

First problem I get is on zoning. When I go to run through SI portal, try to enter a dungeon, get ported by wizzies etc the screen freezes for about 2-3 mins showing my char running into the zone point. After that the usualy loading screen appears for about 30 seconds. Then its pot luck - sometimes i zone, sometimes the whole pc freezes (mouse lock etc) and needs to be rebooted. I appreciate my pc is underspec but for it to keep crashing is not right.

Any tips would be appreciated.

edit :

Mobo - KT7Ar
Soundcard - Hercules Gamesurround Fortissmo II

O

oblivion_6

duron

hmmmm probs not the best but doesnt explain the crashin

its probably a conflict with ur gfx card coz its a cack one maybe try downgrading the drivers if u have the latest ones or upgrading if u have old ones

win xp is just a little bit more stable that 2k so it might be that as well

M

mincepie

yep could well be drivers - which would mean me trying different ones and runing back and for thru ports to try and force a crash :D Might try it tonight when I get bored of xping :)

Why do you say XP is more stable than 2k. I've always found the opposite? Or do you mean in relevance to DAoC as a supported OS.

M

mincepie

and to put things into perspective - my second account runs on a celeron 700 with 256 ram and gf2MX and i never have this problem

T

the_hermit

For what it's worth - I was having similar problems on my PC - Athlon 2800+, 1Gb ram, 64Mb Ti4200. Changed the drivers, DirectX, motherboard drivers - nothing...

Turned out to be a dodgy stick of memory - everything else ran 100% fine, but DAoC would crash after at least a minute, but never more than 10 minutes...

Works right as rain now :D

M

mincepie

Well update. Checked my RAM and had a total mismatch of sticks.

1 pc100 cas 2
1 pc133 cas 3
1 pc133 cas 2 ECC

removed the ECC stick and in game performance is a lot smoother but the slow zoning still exists. However after just chatting to a few guys in work who play it seems I might need to reinstall my DAoC. Basically my sound is screwed up and I assumed it was just a bug with the patch after reading somewhere about a sound bug. However I have the following sound problems

Any bear type mob makes a heal sound when hit and attacking.
The only player char that makes a sound when hit is a norse and a briton.
The only mobs that make sounds are those watery type mobs outside of goth harbour or the flame throwers in musp.

Reinstall time...

M

mincepie

nerf me - just read the 1.62 go live notes and it says at the bottom about the known problem with sound which will be fixed asap (notes were dated in August!! :D )

T

the_hermit

hehe yup - that sound problem is annoying as heck - but it you want a laugh, go attack a bear - they make a rather cool noise! :D

H

herjulf

this sounds very MS WINDOWS + ACPI ish.

it is fooked itell you.

ok, some things that may help you.

IRQ conflicts YES they still OCCUR.

Perhaps you have noticed when you get heavy GFX load u get jitter in sound or repeating sounds.

This is a pointer that u may have these problems.

Solutions:

Reset ESCD, go into bios and change to PnP capable OS: YES
remove all crap u dont use like if u dont use the built in soundcard on your mainboard, disable it in bios, dont u use the firewire port? then remove it in bios.

Disable all "idle" programs running in background.

Disable non essential sound channels ingame, like ambient sound, and music.
Dont listen to MP3 while playing.

if uare on a low range computer always do /effects self and make shure u dont have to high resolution.

S

Sichama

Having installed DAoC on alot of machines (of various specs) and running it on 5 myself...my experience about zoning crashing your machine is that 90% of the times it is either because CPU is overheating (i have had this mainly but not only with AMD Athlon and Duron CPU's) or there is a problem with your memory sticks, either one is faulty or (usually when a memory upgrade has taken place) the memory sticks don't work well together, or memory sticks are overheating (yes this can happen too).

Oh and on a final note i consider not beeing able to hear the Inconnu's hicap, when you hit them, a very good thing.

Users who are viewing this thread