Another basic networking question

T

throdgrain

Sorry :(

I got 2 pc's here on a little lan, how do I get one to share the net connection of the other ?
Cheers all :)

U

[UKLans]Khan

You either need a router (actual hardware like a HUB/Switch) or a bit of software that sits on one of your computers and acts like a gateway to the internet.

There are loads of free ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) programs, windows comes with a built in one, but this isn't as configurable as some on the market. A good free proxy server (you will have to add the proxy server in your internet settings) called Proxy+, this runs as a server on one of the machines and the others go through it. (google search for it if you want the site)

There are also NAT routing software, try doing a search on downloads.com or tucows for free software.

Hope this helps,

Khan

T

throdgrain

Well, I'd probably use the one that comes with windows. But you missed my question.
How do I do it ? :)

J

Jonty

If you're choosing the Windows path, and you're running XP, simply click . . .

1. Start
  2. All Programs
  3. Accessories
  4. Communications
  5. Network Setup Wizard
That should guide you through the whole process, just be careful you don't override any of your existing settings :) If you click 'Start' > 'Help' and search for 'internet connection sharing' you should find all the background information you need.

Kind Regards

X

xane

Windows 98 Second Edition ? Otherwise there is no ICS in it :(

P

pcg79

Server on the 98se one

and try put in gateway IP of server on the 98 one.

L

Lester

Throd, ask Jis, he aer teh king.....

Or if you 're stuck I will tell you about my setup, which is the same as yours really.

You will need two network cards in your primary unless you're adsl "in" is via usb.

Users who are viewing this thread