Animated Avatars

UndyingAngel

Can't get enough of FH
Ello guys just tryed to upload my animated avatar with a nice christsmas hat.. and I get the msg "You may not upload animated images." is this right :< ?

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
Second time I've heard this. Animated gifs have been forbidden it seems, Be glad you still have one.

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
It's about time, and well done whoever made that decision.

The numerous times i've been forbidden to have "bouncing cleavage" avatars, yet there have been many other questionable animated avatars for a long time.

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
The dude abides......

(or not as the case may be)

Whipped

Part of the furniture
Unfortunatley, this does mean that Mr Walking Floppy Disk himself is now dead :(

So here he is, so he can walk forever.

floppy_disk_walking_md_wht.gif

yaruar

Can't get enough of FH
:eek2: I think my icon says it all! I was just preparing a special crimbo version too!

SheepCow

Bringer of Code
omg Mr Walking Floppy Disk, I feel like you've been around since I was a wee lad. I salute you.

Louster

One of Freddy's beloved
Whipped said:
Unfortunatley, this does mean that Mr Walking Floppy Disk himself is now dead :(

So here he is, so he can walk forever.

floppy_disk_walking_md_wht.gif
Uhh what. You're not actually Whipped anymore without that disk, you realise? I don't know who the hell you are now but you're not Whipped. Sorry to have to break that to you.

Anyhow if we're getting rid of animated avatars we should also definitely get rid of animated smilies. I mean jesus half of that stuff isn't work safe at all, woah. And how about getting rid of avatars altogether? I mean if it's a question of "avoiding any potentially bad stuff" then obviously the only way to be truly safe is to get rid of all the ways a user can fuck shit up. Like that. Enforced strict word filters that auto-ban anyone that swears would be another good step, definitely. In fact, given how the current wanton freedom that allows people to post actual messages can obviously always be potentially exploited for nefarious gain, it would probably be a good first step to just disallow posting altogether. That would kill, like, a whole flock of birds with one little stone!

Just throwing out some ideas here.

Mazling

Can't get enough of FH
Don't ban him, please, we like him. At least when he's not berserk.

TdC

yes, I like him too, and he does touch on a valid point. therefor I shall ask [highlight]teh man[/highlight] to answer.

it is very hard for us to moderate avatars (ie restrict pron/brain breaking flashing animated ones etc. etc.) given the hugeness of the grey area involved, so I guarentee nothing :)

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Hey peeps... it's not practical to suggest that we go through all people's avatars and nuke the animated ones, even though we decided a while back that they wouldn't be allowed. We're not gonna start picking and choosing people out who can have them either, as that just aint fair. In short, if you change your avatar your new one will not be animated, so choose carefully.

Normal rules apply - people found to have offensive or plain inappropriate avatars may be asked to change them, but this isn't a witch hunt, just trying to be sensible about.

Oh... and yeah, I miss Mr walking Floppy too:fluffle:

TdC

cheers matey, that was very quick :)

Rubber Bullets

FH is my second home
Jupitus said:
We're not gonna start picking and choosing people out who can have them either, as that just aint fair.

Oh... and yeah, I miss Mr walking Floppy too:fluffle:

I can see your point, and do agree, but wondered if it would be possible to make an exception in the case of Whipped? I don't know if he has PM'd you, but in this thread he is the one person who hasn't asked for his avatar back, even though public opinion is that it be restored.

After all those who still have animated ones are being allowed to keep them, so his would not be the only one, and I wonder if he would have changed to a Christmas one if he had known he would not get the old one back.

I suspect that a 'Free Mr Floppy' campaign would be pretty low key, but I for one would be in favour.

RB

PS Whipped, I hope you don't see this as interfering, I apologise if you do.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
And after over two years I had finally copied across content from my old hard drive. The A-Team / Knight Rider animated gif shall never be allowed to be uploaded again :(

Whipped

Part of the furniture
Rubber Bullets said:
I can see your point, and do agree, but wondered if it would be possible to make an exception in the case of Whipped? I don't know if he has PM'd you, but in this thread he is the one person who hasn't asked for his avatar back, even though public opinion is that it be restored.

After all those who still have animated ones are being allowed to keep them, so his would not be the only one, and I wonder if he would have changed to a Christmas one if he had known he would not get the old one back.

I suspect that a 'Free Mr Floppy' campaign would be pretty low key, but I for one would be in favour.

RB

PS Whipped, I hope you don't see this as interfering, I apologise if you do.
Nope, I never mind people interfering on my behalf.

To be honest, I think it's time Mr. Walking Floppy Disk was put out to pasture. He's had a long run and it's time he got out into the world and met Mrs. Walking Floppy Disk.

Farewell friend, we shall miss you.

I'm sure I'll find a new identity in another avater after my Christmas one has run it's course.

TdC

Whipped said:
I'm sure I'll find a new identity in another avater after my Christmas one has run it's course.

48023aFHE_w.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom