News Android Spies!

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Perhaps we need a [crime] tag?

El Reg said:
In a YouTube video posted on Monday, Trevor Eckhart showed how software...recorded in real time the keys he pressed into a stock EVO handset, which he had reset to factory settings just prior to the demonstration. Using a packet sniffer while his device was in airplane mode, he demonstrated how each numeric tap and every received text message is logged by the software...
“We can see that Carrier IQ is querying these strings over my wireless network [with] no 3G connectivity and it is reading HTTPS,” the 25-year-old Eckhart says.

Funneh :(

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
Yes, internet security is mostly based around 'I hope it happens to someone else'.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
This is why I'm glad I have a stock Google phone, and not something chock full of service provider cack.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
This is why I'm glad I have a stock Google phone, and not something chock full of service provider cack.

I know nothing about mobile phones. Isn't that what the article says?

I know that Eric Schmidt would like to do away with all privacy completely, so a stock google phone sounds like a big no-no to me :|

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing

Irrelevant, apparently (they've found it on sim-free phones). So far it doesn't seem to be popping up on European phones (although I did read one comment on El Reg that someone had found it in the UK), because I can tell you now, it is definitely illegal under European data laws, not just data protection, but if it is transmitting secure data like credit cards, its breaking Safe Harbor and PCI compliance as well.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Try finding it on a Google Nexus One bought directly from Google. You won't.

This software seems to be installed on phones that have been "messed with" by carriers. You know what I mean, buy a phone from Orange and it's chock full of "Orange accessibility brilliant shit" crap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom