Android security key app out now

Mabs

J Peasemould Gruntfuttock
as per title in case anyone was waiting for it and hadnt spotted:)

Z^^

Can't get enough of FH
What do you do if you dont have a cellphone? :D

Keitanz

Can't get enough of FH
I'd love to get some stats on the number of people using this while having passwords like "computer" and "hello" and "anakin"

Mabs

J Peasemould Gruntfuttock
I'd love to get some stats on the number of people using this while having passwords like "computer" and "hello" and "anakin"
yeah but thats the point tho
people "cba" with hard to remember passwords cos its "just a game" till their account is nicked. this fixes that problem :p

Keitanz

Can't get enough of FH
I still don't get how it works.. I assume you just change a setting on your account to only people log on to it if this app has sent some data to the server in the past minute..

Makes sharing accounts impossible for people using it.. and also what happens if your phone fucks up and stops working, locked out the acc forever or what? :eek:

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
If that happens you can contact customer services to remove the authenticator from your account.

If it is the same as the WoW and Rift version then it generates a random numerical code every 20 seconds which you input on a 2nd password screen. I presume the server generates the same code as your key based on the serial number or something and if they don't match you don't get in. It means that even if someone has your user name and password, either through a key logger, phishing scam or even a database hack then they won't be able to access your account. They would have to be extremely lucky to guess the code...which changes every 20 seconds anyway.

As for sharing accounts, that is not really their concern, I doubt they allow it (most don't) so I don't think they had that drawback in mind when they designed the system :)

rynnor

Rockhound
As for sharing accounts, that is not really their concern, I doubt they allow it (most don't) so I don't think they had that drawback in mind when they designed the system :)

Easy - you phone the person - they then text you the code

Keitanz

Can't get enough of FH
That will be difficult to do if it generates a new one every 20seconds tho :D but hmm, I don't think I'll really bother unless I start playing seriously 10 hours a day..

rynnor

Rockhound
That will be difficult to do if it generates a new one every 20seconds tho :D but hmm, I don't think I'll really bother unless I start playing seriously 10 hours a day..

I think you get quite a while to enter the code - it just cant be a code thats been used before.

Septina

Part of the furniture
I still don't get how it works.. I assume you just change a setting on your account to only people log on to it if this app has sent some data to the server in the past minute..

Makes sharing accounts impossible for people using it.. and also what happens if your phone fucks up and stops working, locked out the acc forever or what? :eek:

This is exactly what happened to me, added security key on my phone a day after my phone decided to die on me for some odd reason :( Took em 5 days and about a million calls to sort it for me, finally after a 2 hour phone queue and £60 in phone call costs they sorted it for me, granted this was very close to release so can understand that they're swamped with all the people needing support. I for one wont add a security key to my account again before they sort a restore code for it like Blizzard has. :p The 5 secret questions you need to answer every time you log in from a new computer should be more than enough security for your account.

rynnor

Rockhound
Septina said:
The 5 secret questions you need to answer every time you log in from a new computer should be more than enough security for your account.

Keyloggers render secret questions fairly useless tho.

Agell

One of Freddy's beloved
My phone wiped recently too (24 hours after installing security key, maybe it has a secret timer?!) a quickish phonecall to Customer services (on New Years Day Aus) solved it. It seemed no surprise and simple for them to do.

It's odd as I have a blizzard authenticator on my old iPhone which the kids now use. They deleted the authenticator and all I had to do was reinstall from app store and it was back up and running.

Keitanz

Can't get enough of FH
Keyloggers render secret questions fairly useless tho.
Afaik most key loggers (if not all) don't find out what you paste.. so I keep all security questions / passwords in a text file and just copy and paste every time.

Bahumat

FH is my second home
I have the wow authenticator. You are issued with a separate account code which can be viewed via the application. If anything happens to your phone i.e it gets wiped, reinstall the application on the same or a different phone. Link it to the account code and you're back in business.

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
Anyone know if you can have the keychain and a phone app linked to same account? Not going to carry around that keychain everywhere. iPod version would be better for me travelling.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Afaik most key loggers (if not all) don't find out what you paste.. so I keep all security questions / passwords in a text file and just copy and paste every time.

Actually quite a lot of them do. Some can even take screen prints.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom