Advice Android Roms?

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
Hi bummers, I have rooted my Samsung Galaxy SII and have been trying a few roms on it.

I really don't like Cyanogen Mod 9.0, it seems really quite cack compared to 7.0 and it also messes up the APN settings and doesn't allow you to restore or add the settings to receive/send picture messages. I also tried the Omega mod which is pretty much stock but does stuff like turn your LED on when you get a text, which cannot be turned off (No LED has been removed from the phone), it just does it at random times.

I am now back to stock, but it is just so slow and bloated and restricts what I can and can't change.

Any advice on the better roms out there? Something that is clean and fast but gives features and control.

Cheers in advance.

Poag

m00?
Try AOKP its built on CM9 but has Unicorns.

Also you should be able to edit the APNs to allow MMS. On my S2 i had CM9 and MMS worked. Whos your provider?

Sar

Part of the furniture
Yeah I used CM9 for a while as well and had no problem with APNs.

ATM I'm using Checkrom Revo HD v6, Gingerbread yes, but I didn't really like ICS's general UI style tbh. Mind you if I can eventually get a good port-down of 4.1 I'd give it a crack, just for decent S Voice and Project Butter. Saying that, Checkrom's pretty butter like on this S2 anyway :)

Trem

Try AOKP its built on CM9 but has Unicorns.

Also you should be able to edit the APNs to allow MMS. On my S2 i had CM9 and MMS worked. Whos your provider?

Provider is Tesco/O2.

Honestly the APN thing is driving me up the wall, even if you manually enter the settings it just won't save, the entry stays blank.

Poag

m00?
Delete the current entry and make a new one with these settings.

carrier="Tesco UK"
mcc="234"
mnc="01"
apn="prepay.tesco-mobile.com"
user="tescowap" password="password"
server="http://wap.tesco-mobile.com/"
proxy="193.113.200.195"
port="9201"
type="default,supl,mms" />

If those dont work, try these
carrier="Tesco"
mcc="234"
mnc="10"
user="tescowap"
password="tescowap"
proxy="193.113.200.195"
port="8080"
mmsc="http://mmsc.mms.02.co.uk:8002"
mmsproxy="193.113.200.195"
mmsport="8080"
type="default,supl,mms"

Trem

Delete the current entry and make a new one with these settings.

carrier="Tesco UK"
mcc="234"
mnc="01"
user="tescowap" password="password"
server="http://wap.tesco-mobile.com/"
proxy="193.113.200.195"
port="9201"
type="default,supl,mms" />

If those dont work, try these
carrier="Tesco"
mcc="234"
mnc="10"
user="tescowap"
password="tescowap"
proxy="193.113.200.195"
port="8080"
mmsc="http://mmsc.mms.02.co.uk:8002"
mmsproxy="193.113.200.195"
mmsport="8080"
type="default,supl,mms"

Neither of those work per se, they don't work because after saving all the settings the APN list remains blank, nothing in there at all, nothing there before I enter the settings and nothing there after.

Thanks for trying though Poag.

I am trying AOKP which I like but a few issues, the APN issue remains and also I cannot view all the folders on the SD card (not phone storage external SD card). Looks like stock rom is the only one I can ever have :(

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
I farted around the whole ROM flashing thing & now can't be arsed with it. Whats the point?.

Every single one has issues (stability, the radio don't work, problems with network services, this isn't supported, bugs here, etc etc). You know what? Stock does everything I need. Everything works. I actually don't need a faster phone. Want, yes, need? no.

The web browser is faster than my desktop!, zero lag on games, video is crystal clear, I can send email, texts, calls no problem. Sticking with stock gingerbread until I decide to get a new phone (and TBH its going to have to make the SGS2 look like dogshit for me to change. The one thing I don't like about the S2 is the display: its shite in sunlight. Can't see anything. Fix that pls Samsung)

Last edited:

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
always worth rooting to remove all the crap stock apps, but ive never found a better OS than the stock one.

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
Agree, being rooted definitely has its benefits (Titanium Backup, SD Maid Pro, Root Explorer, Ad Free, etc).

Poag

m00?
Neither of those work per se, they don't work because after saving all the settings the APN list remains blank, nothing in there at all, nothing there before I enter the settings and nothing there after.

Thanks for trying though Poag.

I am trying AOKP which I like but a few issues, the APN issue remains and also I cannot view all the folders on the SD card (not phone storage external SD card). Looks like stock rom is the only one I can ever have :(

Trem just to be sure. After you type all these in. You are pressing MENU and save right? Not just back?

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Trem just to be sure. After you type all these in. You are pressing MENU and save right? Not just back?
I bet he does now ;)

Trem

Yes I do mate. After further research I found something relating to the sim card being only 128k or something, apparently these roms don't get on well with small sized sims. That may or may not be the issue, no idea what size my sim is for starters.

I have gone back to stock now, totally pissed me off trying to sort the APN. I did get the provider list by downloading something called an APN widget off the market but that still wouldn't save any of the settings I manually entered. APN backup apps don't work either.

dysfunction

FH is my second home
Lamp said:
The one thing I don't like about the S2 is the display: its shite in sunlight. Can't see anything. Fix that pls Samsung)

The S3 screen is much better in sunlight! Much better than the s2. You can at least see to do things!

PLightstar

Part of the furniture
For my old Desire I had Ginger Villain and was fantastic, wasn't bloated and worked with everything. The guy stopped developing for it, but now I have the HTC One X, just waiting for a decent Jellybean ROM to jump to. Stock Rom works fine for now.

Trem

I am now on Resurrection Remix and it is the best so far. Linking to a recent thread by me the best thing about rooting and putting a rom on is the ability to send certain calls straight to voicemail, it has already paid dividends. Christ knows why that feature was removed by Google/Samsung.

Poag

m00?
I run CM10 on my OneS atm. Working with the devs to fix some GPS/Data issues atm but seems to have got it in the last release.

Poag

m00?
I am now on Resurrection Remix and it is the best so far. Linking to a recent thread by me the best thing about rooting and putting a rom on is the ability to send certain calls straight to voicemail, it has already paid dividends. Christ knows why that feature was removed by Google/Samsung.
Samsung..not Google.

The default Android has an option in contacts to direct all calls from a certain contact to voicemail. Samsung remove it for Touchwiz because......

This is why i run AOSP over anything else. The basic Android experience is just better than the crap put ontop.

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!

which version of Remix m8? Is it 3.0.3 JB? Which kernal are you using with it?

does your FM radio work?

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
CM9 is stable now on all supported devices, as of a few days ago. Will go up from whichever nightly I have on it atm when I can be arsed but everything that I use on the phone works just fine as is.

PLightstar

Part of the furniture
Has anyone used Cm10 yet? Seen a few releases, but haven't tried them out.

Trem

which version of Remix m8? Is it 3.0.3 JB? Which kernal are you using with it?

does your FM radio work?

Yes it is 3.0.3 and the kernal is 3.0.1.5-siyah.s2-v4.0.1.

It has no FM radio widget so I don't know if it works.

One issue so far that is annoying - cannot change storage location for photos taken from phone storage to SD card.

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
I'm running Siyahkernal on stock GB

Been umm-ing and arr-ing about CM9. Plenty of hiccups from what I'vew read on the forums. CM10 still very much experimental. I quite like Paranoid Android, but the one site that hosts the GApps zips has been hacked and all the info lost.

Trem

I'm running Siyahkernal on stock GB

Been umm-ing and arr-ing about CM9. Plenty of hiccups from what I'vew read on the forums. CM10 still very much experimental. I quite like Paranoid Android, but the one site that hosts the GApps zips has been hacked and all the info lost.

I have just got the GAPPS and Paranoid Android about 10 minutes ago, try it again chum. Just installing it now.

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
I have just got the GAPPS and Paranoid Android about 10 minutes ago, try it again chum. Just installing it now.

Let me know what its like. Downloading Gapps now.

Just to confirm, all I need to flash are the paranoid ROM + the CM10 Gapps? Do I need to flash a kernal afterwards or is that included in the PA ROM zip?

Trem

Let me know what its like. Downloading Gapps now.

Just to confirm, all I need to flash are the paranoid ROM + the CM10 Gapps? Do I need to flash a kernal afterwards or is that included in the PA ROM zip?

Wipe the data/factory reset then install rom, then do the same again with data/factory reset then install GAPPS then reboot system.

Kernal is all included.

It actually isn't much different than CM9.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom