News America's best president ever is a tard

Thorwyn

FH is my second home
I grew up watching StarTrek and loved the optimism and hope the show portrayed, I'd like to live in such a future and watching space programmes develop makes me think we are a little closer to that future (rather than the post apocolyptic clusterfuck that we seem to be headed towards now).

You know that we´ll never be able to fly to the next solar system, yet the idea fills you with hope. Isn´t that pretty similar to religion?
Rationally you know that there´s no god and no afterlife, but believing it fills you with hope.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
You know that we´ll never be able to fly to the next solar system, yet the idea fills you with hope. Isn´t that pretty similar to religion?
Rationally you know that there´s no god and no afterlife, but believing it fills you with hope.

I so would've been lynched for that post :p

But hold to your seat and brace yourself, i agree with the notion.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
You know that with current technology we´ll never be able to fly to the next solar system, yet the idea fills you with hope. Isn´t that pretty similar to religion?

Fixed it for you.

Never say never. 150 years ago it was a fact that it is impossible to fly.

Bugz

Fledgling Freddie
Fixed it for you.

True but surely technology has to have a limit somewhere?

Until we find a way to bend reality/physics, we will always have a constraint.

Thorwyn

FH is my second home

Mongolfier started in 1783. ;)

I know what you mean, point taken, but IMO it has nothing to do with technology, more with physics. But still, it doesn´t really affect my point about hope and religion.

Golena

Fledgling Freddie
Mongolfier started in 1783. ;)

I know what you mean, point taken, but IMO it has nothing to do with technology, more with physics. But still, it doesn´t really affect my point about hope and religion.

The difference with religion is that if you tell me I can't reach the next solar system by sitting in my bathtub and turning both taps on at the same time then with sufficient proof i'll probably believe you.
If you tell someone they can't get to the afterlife by sitting in the bath and turning both taps on at the same time, they are likely to call you a heretic, stone you then go back to their bath.

Yeah I went slightly past silly with the argument but I find it to generally be the reason I don't consider science to be the same as religion, in that science is prepared to change it's beliefs when new knowledge comes to light. Religion isn't.
With what we know now there's no way to get to the next galaxy. The good thing about science is we don't simply give up with that and try to work out what we are mssing or if there's another way of looking at the problem, which is why taking the none religious approach, we might actually make it there, and why doing things like "going to the moon" simply to push the envelope and discover what we wern't expecting to discover are worth doing.

There's a lot we don't know about the universe. We arn't going to discover what that is by sitting here waiting for it to hit us in the face.

Thorwyn

FH is my second home
That´s a big difference, you´re right. But my point was more about the concept of hope. Ez said that watching Star Trek filled her with hope that some day, mankind would be like in this show. And while science and religion are very different (as you pointed out), the evoked emotions are quite similar. It doesn´t really matter whether the source of the emotion is static or progressive.

Roo Stercogburn

Resident Freddy
Well yes, it could be argued that a static source is a placebo, while a progressive source could be regarded as genuinely worthwhile.

I could probably explain better after some more coffee.

Thorwyn

FH is my second home
Which - consequently - means that if someone finds the ultimate truth or the definition of an ultimate limit, the source automatically turns from worthwile to placebo. :)

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
[original link...blah blah blah]

thats IF they ever landed there in the first place

Ezteq

Queen of OT
That´s a big difference, you´re right. But my point was more about the concept of hope. Ez said that watching Star Trek filled her with hope that some day, mankind would be like in this show. And while science and religion are very different (as you pointed out), the evoked emotions are quite similar. It doesn´t really matter whether the source of the emotion is static or progressive.

*recoils in horror* don't suggest I am religious *does general hissing and clawing in a nosferatu type way*. I do see your point (from a completely athestic point of view) my stance on religion isn't that I don't just not believe in it, I don't care about it, someone could present me with absolute proof their is a god and I still wouldn't go about worshipping it...I would probably never ever go to the toilet or masturbate ever again but those would be the only effects of that knowledge.

I think that maybe science can be compared to religion in the way that people do believe in it, though their beliefs tend to be substantiated (not all the time though lol) and when they are proved wrong they immediately come up with something from an arcane text to explain any discrepancies.

People get very passionate about both religion and science...I can't say I do, generally I get passionate about food but I do get excited about the thought of going to another solar system or even the moon fgs...hell I'd be happy just popping the atmosphere tbh but I wouldn't collapse and consider my entire life worthless if I found out it just wasn't going to happen.

But then I'd have lots of other things to hope for, look forward to and generally keep me occupied until my number comes up.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
back up there EZ!

You'd never go to the toilet again or masturbate if there was proof of a god? why the hell not?

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
I know you think highly of me bugz, but I've told you before, just because I provide you with video's of ez pooping, does not make me your god.

Thorwyn

FH is my second home
*does general hissing and clawing in a nosferatu type way*

*throws some garlic and holy water at Ez*

Don´t take this discussion personal please. I don´t want to drag you into an argument or anything. I just found your statement quite interesting, because it seemed to fit so closely to the religious ideals. Isn´t it interesting, that we all seem to share the urge for hope, regardless of confession or source?

collegien

Can't get enough of FH
Gotta love the FH crew. :)

Going from Obama's NASA dealings to Ez masturbating in the toilet with great ease. :)

:clap::clap:

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
I think that maybe science can be compared to religion in the way that people do believe in it

Funny this line, if i recall, i was lynched rather nicely because of similar statement :p

Guess i need boobs to be given special treatment.

Lethul

FH is my second home
Funny this line, if i recall, i was lynched rather nicely because of similar statement :p

Guess i need boobs to be given special treatment.

Or maybe its enough to not be the most disliked guy on the forum? :flame:

Ezteq

Queen of OT
back up there EZ!

You'd never go to the toilet again or masturbate if there was proof of a god? why the hell not?

Um because knowing there was some one watching, and disapproving, would make me self conscious and take all the fun out of it... if he was cheering me on would be different tbh.

*throws some garlic and holy water at Ez*

Don´t take this discussion personal please. I don´t want to drag you into an argument or anything. I just found your statement quite interesting, because it seemed to fit so closely to the religious ideals. Isn´t it interesting, that we all seem to share the urge for hope, regardless of confession or source?

*melts*

hehe wasn't actually mortally offended Thor not a jot, I just always make jokes about being the polar opposite of anything religious all the time with and round B2 and his family because they annoy me by not accepting that I can be happy being an athiest.

I do see what you mean though the thought that a belief can make you happy is one that I really don't have a problem with, I don't have a problem with people believing things just to make them happy at all...I would still leva e milk and mincepies out for father christmas if I didn't know B2 would scoff them all then be up snoring all night with bad digestion.

Golena

Fledgling Freddie
Gotta love the FH crew. :)

Going from Obama's NASA dealings to Ez masturbating in the toilet with great ease. :)

:clap::clap:

It's because of Obama's NASA dealings that she can masturbate in the toilet with great ease!!!

Have you ever tried masturbating in a zero G toilet!!! There's nothing easy about it! :(

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
It's because of Obama's NASA dealings that she can masturbate in the toilet with great ease!!!

Have you ever tried masturbating in a zero G toilet!!! There's nothing easy about it! :(

If someone's doing it inside the space shuttle just ignore them and keep your mouth closed

or get them to go on a space walk and spray their goo into outer space

some gay alien will lap it up

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom