Film American Sniper

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Watched this on Friday with the kids, wow, a very intense and graphic film which highlights the pains that a soldier faces. Shoot a kid or not? How do you deal with it? Etc.

Well worth a watch!

Billargh

I am a FH squatter
Will be going to see it some time next week, haven't heard anything but amazing things about it.

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Will be going to see it some time next week, haven't heard anything but amazing things about it.
It is an amazing film, you will not be disappointed. Btw, stay for a bit when the end credits come up....

The best thing for me is that Clint did not make this a film about how great America is but concentrated on one individual, his work life, his personal life and what they need to cope with.

A definite purchase on Blu-ray when it is released for me.

Chosen

Resident Freddy

He was called a legend among the seals after his attendance in the war of Iraq, even us in the Norwegian forces got to review some of his accomplishments. When he got back to the US(To his normal "boring" life) he might have dictated some stories to live through his past glories, but that does not mean his accomplishments during the Iraq war was "totally bullshit". :)

ECA

I am a FH squatter
He was called a legend among the seals after his attendance in the war of Iraq, even us in the Norwegian forces got to review some of his accomplishments. When he got back to the US(To his normal "boring" life) he might have dictated some stories to live through his past glories, but that does not mean his accomplishments during the Iraq war was "totally bullshit". :)

I'm not questioning his kill count, I'm questioning the ecocentric nature of his tales, and the accuracy of anything that wasn't verified by others.
He's a pathological liar.

He claims he killed 30 people from the superdome after Katrina in New Orleans - a total fabrication.
He claims he was mugged at a gas station, that he killed the 2 muggers and told the officers that came to the incident to "ring the pentagon" and that he never heard from them again - again complete fiction.
He claimed Jesse Ventura - an exseal himself, said some pretty nasty things - to the point where Ventura sued him and won almost $2mill for defamation.

tldr, there is incident after incident he has claimed ( in his biography ), that are just demonstrably false - total 100% bullshit.

I'm not saying he didn't kill a lot of people, I'm saying the self aggrandisement is fictional.

Not only that but the film perspective on his character is nonsense, if you read his book he says shit like "I loved killing bad guys, I was sad when I was at home because it was so much more fun being over there".

He wasn't some silent gentle giant that donned the uniform to protect his country, he got his rocks off killing people.

That's why I said - decent movie, but fictional.

Chosen

Resident Freddy
I'm not questioning his kill count, I'm questioning the ecocentric nature of his tales, and the accuracy of anything that wasn't verified by others.
He's a pathological liar.

He claims he killed 30 people from the superdome after Katrina in New Orleans - a total fabrication.
He claims he was mugged at a gas station, that he killed the 2 muggers and told the officers that came to the incident to "ring the pentagon" and that he never heard from them again - again complete fiction.
He claimed Jesse Ventura - an exseal himself, said some pretty nasty things - to the point where Ventura sued him and won almost $2mill for defamation.

tldr, there is incident after incident he has claimed ( in his biography ), that are just demonstrably false - total 100% bullshit.

I'm not saying he didn't kill a lot of people, I'm saying the self aggrandisement is fictional.

Not only that but the film perspective on his character is nonsense, if you read his book he says shit like "I loved killing bad guys, I was sad when I was at home because it was so much more fun being over there".

He wasn't some silent gentle giant that donned the uniform to protect his country, he got his rocks off killing people.

That's why I said - decent movie, but fictional.

I do mostly agree with you! :) Actually one of the links you posted might give a good explanation why he did lie about some of the incidents.

"So why would Chris Kyle lie about shooting car jackers and looters, and "baby killer" signs and WMDs? The answer is two-fold. Firstly, he did it to reinforce his status as a hero. Chris Kyle embodied the Hero Archetype. His fans would be the first to tell you this. He was a hero for fighting for his country, he was a hero for killing so many Iraqis, he was a hero for saving American lives. This is his story, and it's the story he tells in American Sniper, and it is why he is beloved by so many. But, like all archetypes, the Hero Archetype has a life of it's own. Chris Kyle was submerged in it and overcome by it. He even says in his book that he felt "invincible". It could be easy to see how he would be swept away by all the hype and praise and glory. He knew he didn't kill any car jackers or looters, but he could haveand that was all that mattered in his mind. He BELIEVED that he did, even while he KNEW that he didn't. The archetype made him BELIEVE it, his rational mind KNEW it was false, but the rational mind almost always takes a back seat when the archetype is in town."

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Mark Kermode was unconvinced. Bits of the film didn't sit well with him. Don't think it'll be a go to the cinema job for me.

Love Clints work as a director in general tho - so I will see it.

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
Not for me...watched the trailer, tired and predictable scenario done a hundred times before...I wouldn't be surprised if he had to shoot a puppy to save a toddler at some point.

Overdriven

Dumpster Fire of The South
Lots of words regarding a movie..

Saw it last night, guess it's worth the watch. Entertaining enough.

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter

Was reading it earlier, America will swallow anything it seems, especially if they can make a few quid off it.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Lots of words regarding a movie..
Don't understand your problem.

Movies aren't always for pure entertainment. They often exist to inform and educate. Discussing the world's most popular artform in that context is natural.

leggy

Probably Scottish
I don't particularly care that he was a liar. There was some questions raised as to why this wasn't portrayed in the movie but after seeing it there's no real surprise. It was an American Hero type movie that bored the living fuck out of me from the start.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom