AMD makes processor price cuts

E

Embattle

Originally posted by Deadmanwalking.
/me whistles

I be getting an Athlon 3000+ now :D

I just got me 2800+ but thx to dads company over ordering on the stock i will get a spare 3000+

/me dances

Hmm sounds like you could be in this program on ITV atm ;)

D

Deadmanwalking

ROFL Yeah thats what i got told :p

But i havent had anything in terms of comp stuff for myself for 5 years. And i am technically doing them a favour.

Now shut it U jealous tarts :)

E

Embattle

Next up on the shopping list is either a R350 or R400 ;)

J

Jonty

Originally posted by Embattle
Next up on the shopping list is either a R350 or R400 ;)
They certainly seem cool :D Personally I'm intrigued by the RV350 (9600 series). According to the pre-released specs, it will be manufactured on a 0.13 micron level, 10 layer PCB, complete with a 256-bit bus and 128Mb DDR-II RAM. Now surely this could easily rival a 9700 or perhaps 9700 Pro? Even limited with 4 rendering pipelines, the possibitily of having 2 TMUs could make up for this. And all this for ~$200. Should be an interesting piece of kit. That said, these specs are mere speculation at the mo :eek6:

Kind Regards

A

adams901

well I just got a 9700pro so I wont be buying a new graphics cards any time soon, no matter how tempting.

*walks off to cut up the credit cards*

D

Deadmanwalking

lol same

/me hugs Radeon 9700 pro

Even more so for me as i have just come up from a voodoo3/tnt 2

T

Testin da Cable

I moved my 2200+ to 15x with a 140fsb. frankly I was amazed it still worked

D

Dr_Weasel

Did you have the L1 bridges burnt out on your chip (and therfore have to fill them with superglue and reconnect the bridges with conductivepaint)? Or was it factory unlocked?

*edit - clarified my ramblings

T

Testin da Cable

factory. it's unstable as hell now though, and for some reason my entire poota is underperforming like mad :/
time to sell some stuff off and get some new kit methinks

A

adams901

if i tried to overclock a locked cpu what would happen?, and how do i know if it is unlocked or not?.

D

Dr_Weasel

With a locked CPU you can only change the FSB speed in your bios.

With an unlocked one you can change the clock multiplier too. (As long as your BIOS permits you to change these values. The cheaper Mobos tend not to give you these options)

Remeber that you will probably need to gradually increase your VCore to keep the thing stable, and dont put the Vcore too high or youll fry the chip.

T

Testin da Cable

you can push it's speed slightly by tweaking the FSB, but screwing with the multiplier won't work because it's fixed to a certain step. that's what "locked" means.

the offside of FSB tweaking is that the speeds of the AGP and PCI buses are also affected so there are more possible things that can go wrong.

A

adams901

i think mine is unlocked then (have a 2200+) as there are 2 changable fields (from what I rmember), if this is the case I can go home and blow my CPU up :).

I wanna get a 2800+ anyway so if it does blow up I will have an excuse.

D

Dr_Weasel

If you google about, there is some good guides on how to overclock.

However, remember to do it all gradually. Find out what an average overclock for a 2200 is and start below that. Move your FSB, Vcore and clock multiplier about slowly. Test for stability using somehting like Pime95 (or whatever its called). If you get problems, try upping the Vcore a bit and see if that makes it stable. Always keep an eye on your temps though!! Make sure you have adequate ventalation for this.

If you have any doubts sell me your chip so I can play with it :clap:

T

throdgrain

I wonder when these price changes will come into force ?

A

adams901

ill give it a go but will probally get pissed off with it, have never tried overclocking before because I heard the stories about it messing with the agp bus, pci bus dont really bother me as all the PCI slots are empty.

W

Wij

Most cards can handle an AGP bus of 100 MHz now tbh. You won't get it near that.

I wish I had money to upgrade. A new PSU is all I'm gonna manage for a few months :(

Tip: Don't agree to decorate !!!11

T

throdgrain

I know this will sound terrible, but I have plenty of money, but not the slightest scrap of ability or knowledge :(

T

Testin da Cable

I'll swap you my beautiful poota for a nice motah :)

E

Embattle

Originally posted by adams901
i think mine is unlocked then (have a 2200+) as there are 2 changable fields (from what I rmember), if this is the case I can go home and blow my CPU up :).

I wanna get a 2800+ anyway so if it does blow up I will have an excuse.

Main problem with the 2200+ is it runs hot.

A

adams901

mine runs at 36C which is good considering my Thunderbird used run at 50C.

And my chip is unlocked as well so time for me to do some damage.

D

Deadmanwalking

37c athlon 2700+ in a Shuttle with its dodgy heat pipe stuff thingy :p

A

adams901

my system failed at 149/37 FSB with 13.5 Multiplier

@ 150/30 my bios tells me..... Caution: system memory can only operate at a frequency higher than or equal to the CPU frontside bus, please make sure the dram is not less than 333mhz

D

Dr_Weasel

I managed to overclock that 1700+ to 1975Mhz with a 12.5x multiplier and FSB of 158. (Vcore @ 1.7)

I could get it past the 2Ghz, windows would boot, but Prime95 torture test would report rounding errors.

Still, Im quite happy with a > 500 Mhz improvment on the standard clock speed. :clap:

Ive just ordered another 1700+ to replace the old 1Ghz processor Ive got in my second computer :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom