AMD makes processor price cuts

J

Jonty

Courstesy of the FiringSquad
Over the weekend Intel cut its CPU prices, AMD responded on Monday by cutting prices on chips of their own. As of today the Pentium 4 3.06GHz is officially listed at $589, an 8% price decline. Likewise, the Pentium 4 2.8GHz now sells for $375, a price decrease of 6%. In comparison, AMD held the line on its Athlon XP 3000+ and 2800+ processors, likely to keep the average selling price of its processors as high as possible. Keep in mind that these are the official prices both manufacturers charge its customers in 1,000 unit quantities, not street prices consumers pay at the retail level.

Below those processors, Intel slashed its prices; the 2.6/2.66GHz chips are now priced at $241 (a 21% decline) while the 2.5/2.53GHz CPUs are now selling for $193 (also a 21% decrease). For its chips, AMD cut prices on the XP 2600+ to $241 (a 19% decrease). AMD does undercut Intel on their Athlon XP 2400+, which is now listed at $141 (a decline of 27%) while Intel's 2.4GHz and 2.2/2.26GHz processors are all priced at $163.

For more details, you can see the official Intel price list on all its CPUs here, while AMD's latest prices can be found on this page.

A

adams901

heh, dunno why the link is asking for us to sign up, I got it in an email from them, sorry :)

C

.Cask

Yay don't have to knock over as many old ladies for that upgrade now!

F

FatBusinessman

*knocks over .Cask and steals his lunch money*

T

throdgrain

I was just about to buy a new cpu, think Ill hang on now :)

E

Embattle

Originally posted by adams901
Some good news, I might be able to afford an xp2800+ now :)

Got my 2800+ (Barton) today :)

W

Wij

What's the best you can fit on a 266 fsb mobo ?

C

.Cask

Originally posted by Wij
What's the best you can fit on a 266 fsb mobo ?

Couple of eggs, a sausage, tomato... few strips of bacon at least I reckon :bore:

T

throdgrain

No its not :( neither is the 2700 either mind ..

T

throdgrain

This is the problem I have as told on my XP2700 thread . My A7V333 mobo is set to 266 fsb, yet according to the Asus website it supports the XP2600/2700, which is 333 fsb. I can only assume from that , that a bios revision changes it to 333fsb, so maybe its the same for you ?

T

throdgrain

Embattle

thanks for going to the trouble of looking that up. I wouldnt have known where to start.
I reckon all those links have conclusively proved that with a bios update a xp2700 will go in my mobo.
Thanks again :)

A

adams901

£294 :eek: plus it says 2003-03-03 so they are not out yet?

E

Embattle

They get batchs of the processor, I was lucky enough to get the last one of the first batch they had :)

D

Dr_Weasel

Anyone had any luck with overclocking the lastest 1700+'s? I heard you can easily get 2Ghz out of them and I also heard a rumour that they are factory unlocked....

Can anyone confirm if this is true?

W

Wij

2 actual GHz ? Not 2000+ rating ?

2 Gig would be excellent :D

D

Dr_Weasel

I read that somewhere else and I cant remember where :(

However, a few weeks ago I bought a 1700XP for a machine I was building for someone else. I noticed at the time that the L1 bridges weren't burnt out. I never thought to check if it was unlocked.

Im tempted for 40 quid to buy a new one and chuck it in my mobo just to see....

D

Deadmanwalking

/me whistles

I be getting an Athlon 3000+ now :D

I just got me 2800+ but thx to dads company over ordering on the stock i will get a spare 3000+

/me dances

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom