Rant Amazon prime

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Just had an email from Amazon to say that prime video will not be available via my lg smart bd player from the middle of September.

Seems they are pushing their own fire products heavily, and wanting me to buy that as an alternative.

So be careful, seems Amazon are not to concerned with compatibility and support across devices that aren't their own.

Bit annoying as now I've only got one tv I can watch prime on, it doesn't work via chrome cast and now via a two year old smart device either.

leggy

Probably Scottish
This is why [legal] Internet based TV distribution is shite and always will be. Too many corporations protecting their own agenda and profit margins.

I'll continue to steal movies and TV until it becomes too cheap not to. (I pay 19 dollars for a giganews sub so I'm not too tight).

I also actually own a fire TV with a prime sub. But I never watch it and won't be renewing it.

Edmond

Is now wearing thermals.....Brrrrr
Hmmm, I watch mine though my PS3, not had any problems yet. I'll keep an eye out though

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Can you imagine the BBC sending everyone a letter that told them from a certain date, only Sony televisions would be able to receive their channels?

I can have a full movie within 5 minutes, in 1080p. It plays on my phone, tablet, computer, or television. Why can't these idiots supply a service like that?

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
Did you see recently about how there's been complaints of how they treat their staff?

The boss is a bit of a cunt, take no prisoners kind of approach.

leggy

Probably Scottish
Can you imagine the BBC sending everyone a letter that told them from a certain date, only Sony televisions would be able to receive their channels?

I can have a full movie within 5 minutes, in 1080p. It plays on my phone, tablet, computer, or television. Why can't these idiots supply a service like that?

They can. But why would they?

It's a bit like - 'Until saving the environment makes money no one will give a shit'

soze

I am a FH squatter
Nothing new Netflix withdrew support for my Samsung TV over a year ago :(

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Nothing new Netflix withdrew support for my Samsung TV over a year ago :(

But that's not really because of Netflix, its because of Samsung's own dire Smart TV platform. This is the problem here, there's a bunch of legacy crap in the TV space that does make it really tricky for the streaming companies to support, so its not surprising they go towards core services with more reach. Its why you need standards (like Android TV, which Sony are going with) or have "dumb" TVs with all the heavy lifting done by external devices. From Amazon's point of view, is it worth supporting LG's shitty efforts to integrate services or offer a Fire Stick for 70 quid? Probably the latter.

Embattle

FH is my second home
While if may appear some sort of nasty attempt to control and sell products it is much more likely to be a platform/software issue, as is often the case with the massive software fragmentation in this area of products.

DaGaffer

This is the kind of thing that needs to happen in the TV space if you want wide content distribution. Unfortunately the names not on the member list are far more important than the ones on it...

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Its amusing that they still think they can dictate how and when people watch content.

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
I've just sent my Fire TV back, it stopped working. Anyway before that lot's of Prime shows (Outlander, Dremel or whatever it's fucking called etc) played with no sound. I complained and got *lots* of phone calls from a saffer called Marvern then *lots* of emails with their tech support who constantly blamed my amp (I don't have one and told them that 7 million times). They then blamed my HDMI lead, I then pointed out it was Amazon's own lead and told them to check the orders I had placed.

So yeah, Prime is fine through the Fire TV for me as long as you don't want sound on 70% of the stuff. It is something I wanted to talk to @leggy about and see if he had a problem and see if it is a KODI related problem but then I decided my wife can watch something else other than the god awful Outlander :eek:

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
You can buy the KODI loaded Firesticks for 50 quid on ebay...I mean they blatantly advertise what they do...no one seems arsed.

soze

I am a FH squatter
I've just sent my Fire TV back, it stopped working. Anyway before that lot's of Prime shows (Outlander, Dremel or whatever it's fucking called etc) played with no sound. I complained and got *lots* of phone calls from a saffer called Marvern then *lots* of emails with their tech support who constantly blamed my amp (I don't have one and told them that 7 million times). They then blamed my HDMI lead, I then pointed out it was Amazon's own lead and told them to check the orders I had placed.

So yeah, Prime is fine through the Fire TV for me as long as you don't want sound on 70% of the stuff. It is something I wanted to talk to @leggy about and see if he had a problem and see if it is a KODI related problem but then I decided my wife can watch something else other than the god awful Outlander :eek:
I get that a fair bit on mine. I restart it holding play and the select button and it sorts it for a few weeks. But as I have installed XBMC on mine I do not want to send it back.

Trem

I get that a fair bit on mine. I restart it holding play and the select button and it sorts it for a few weeks. But as I have installed XBMC on mine I do not want to send it back.
I never had the intention of returning it until it stopped working completely (remote wouldn't function at all, yes I changed the batteries :eek: ) I complained about it because I wanted more Prime months for free :D

There is also a free Kodi configurator on the Play store for people who are unsure how to do the Kodi thing, which is nice. I still have the 2 sticks, both cost me £19 each which is crazy cheap.

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
The whole thing is a crock of AIDS. I mentioned this in the 'random annoying things thread' about the clusterfuck of streaming services.

All I'm looking for is a single, up to date streaming service, a consortium of suppliers who get to together and agree on a single standardised distribution of media through a single application.

DaGaffer

The whole thing is a crock of AIDS. I mentioned this in the 'random annoying things thread' about the clusterfuck of streaming services.

All I'm looking for is a single, up to date streaming service, a consortium of suppliers who get to together and agree on a single standardised distribution of media through a single application.

You're never going to get that. The only way to get anything even approaching that would be via government intervention, probably at the EU level, and even that would take years. Think about all the stuff you need to fix; technology standards, rights issues, existing syndication and licencing agreements, and that's before you get to the strategic aims of the platform owners who all want "own" the living room. The best you can hope for is some consolidation around a few major platforms, just like the rest of the internet.

Gumbo

FH is my second home
I have prime for the delivery, the TV bit is a bonus which I occasionally use and wouldn't miss. I greet this news with, meh.

Trem

You can buy the KODI loaded Firesticks for 50 quid on ebay...I mean they blatantly advertise what they do...no one seems arsed.
It's a grey area, Amazon frown upon it but can't stop it. You aren't doing anything wrong by installing Kodi on any device so the use of the word blatant is a bit gay :eek:

DaGaffer

It's a grey area, Amazon frown upon it but can't stop it. You aren't doing anything wrong by installing Kodi on any device so the use of the word blatant is a bit gay :eek:

Its not the loading, its the reselling. It kind of depends how it's being done, but Amazon can have a trademark case.

DaGaffer

NB. Is it just me or is the :eek: emoticon broken for everyone using Chrome?

DaGaffer

Broken in Firefox as well. Interesting. Why the fuck would my company firewall be blocking an emoticon? Just looked on my tab and its fine.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom