Am I dyslectic or just abstracted?

MaCaBr3

Banned
Many times, I even in my mother langue, many senteces that I type seem either to be missing words or making no sense at all because I ment to type a certain word, but just seem to be typing totally something else instead. I actually see all of the errors when I reread all that I have typed, but I never notice them while i'm typing them.

Now I don't know if the same thing happens if I wright, because since the computer age, I must admit, that I hardely ever wright something down anymore.

Is it because i'm thinking of the next set of words while I'm typing that I mix em all up or something? Dunno, just wanted to share :p

Sparda

Fledgling Freddie
when yout typing, no. If your writing, then maybe but prolly not. Like you said your just thinking ahead of yourself and need to slow down. You see the errors when you re read it and dyslexics usualy cant, too them it all looks fine.

Most dyslexia revolves around things like getting b and d confused. Bad spelling of basic words, or even things like using there instead of they are. But with todays slag that last one is usualy normal :p

Im no doctor though, if you think theres a problem, go get some help. :)

tris-

Failed Geordie and Parmothief
i thought this is what is commonly called a freudian slip?

uron

Loyal Freddie
i do this alot aswell, only wen typing though, normal writing im fine! i tend to miss out words, or put in a totally different word, i think its where i think ahead of what im actually typing, so i kinda type what im thinking at that point and so things get missed out...its very annoying. so i make up for it by tlking rather alot on comms :p

Jarahl

Can't get enough of FH
uron said:
i do this alot aswell, only wen typing though, normal writing im fine! i tend to miss out words, or put in a totally different word, i think its where i think ahead of what im actually typing, so i kinda type what im thinking at that point and so things get missed out...its very annoying. so i make up for it by tlking rather alot on comms :p

You do more than make up for the loss of typing on comms!!!!!!!

Eeben

Fledgling Freddie
MaCaBr3 said:
Many times, I even in my mother langue, many senteces that I type seem either to be missing words or making no sense at all because I ment to type a certain word, but just seem to be typing totally something else instead. I actually see all of the errors when I reread all that I have typed, but I never notice them while i'm typing them.

Now I don't know if the same thing happens if I wright, because since the computer age, I must admit, that I hardely ever wright something down anymore.

Is it because i'm thinking of the next set of words while I'm typing that I mix em all up or something? Dunno, just wanted to share :p

funny i got almost the same exact problem when i write with a pen .. i spell the word in my head an then when i write the word for some reason my hand writes something else..
So anoying i pretty much never write anything other then on my computer..

Blackjack

Fledgling Freddie
tris- said:
i thought this is what is commonly called a freudian slip?

a freudian slip is a slip of the tongue were you replace one word with another to reveal what you are really thinking.

E.g your gf has gotten you a very nice x-mas pressy. She is sitting in a very sexy tight shirt and looking fine. You turn around to say "You are the best" but instead blurt out. "You are the breast" :p
It's basicly. think one thing, say another. ;)

Overdriven

Dumpster Fire of The South
Blackjack said:
She is sitting in a very sexy tight shirt and looking fine. You turn around to say "You are the best" but instead blurt out. "You are the breast" :p

What if you say that if you're just staring at their breasts? =(

*May or may not of happened.

Blackjack

Fledgling Freddie
Overdriven said:
What if you say that if you're just staring at their breasts? =(

*May or may not of happened.

Has to be subconcious. outright pervyness doesn't count as parapraxia. ;)

Huntingtons

Resident Freddy
damn it seems im dyslexia :< cant seperate t's and k's in some words if they're both represented

kirennia

Part of the furniture
MaCaBr3 said:

The problem is mate, no-one can properly know when you're talking an alternative language to your own. For example, if an English person were to type 'wright' instead of 'write' as part of an english piece of work without realising what they've done wrong and continuallly do it whilst not being able to see their mistake, they may well be picked up as having either dyslexia or more accurately, just an unfamiliar understanding of the word. It would however take several sets of words of them not understanding, before it would be properly picked up as dyslexia.

The thing with typing is that quite often, people will type what is considered complete crap if submitted for any piece of coursework yet it is merely them not being completely focused on what they're saying. With everything typed so far, I have deleted many parts and changed a few as well purely because I have reread it and noticed either:

a)spelling mistakes (just made a mistake with the word mistake)

and

b)Grammatical errors

I do not consider myself dyslexic, just a sloppy typer. If I don't have any soul put into what I'm manually writing, I often come up with more errors as well. I wouldn't read anything into it until you look back on what you've written, think that there is absolutely nothing wrong and still, even when somebody corrects you (who you trust), still cannot see anything wrong with that piece of work.

I am far from dyslexic yet still have people who cannot understand what I write because there are different levels of comprehension in a language like English. My history for example (in English language) include one set of grades averaging 30% from one teacher (year 10) and 75% from another (year 11). I did not hugely improve within this small timeframe, I just beleive different people comprehend things in different ways. That is why to talk to someone you can often settle differences in 5 minutes whereas by typing, you can't solve issues in 5 days...

Even if you find yourself dyslexic in the long run, it is not by any means a hinderance. Just remember, some of the greatest minds ever discovered on earth were dyslexic and many of the everyday household items you overlook are attributed to them...

It is merely a different way of thinking, not a wrong way in my view.

kirennia

Part of the furniture
Isn't it also funny how some typed words just cannot be typed correctly at first glance?

For example, 'just' is a word which I really have to slow down to type because it often comes out as 'jsut'!

I know I'm not alone in this because I've seen many an error made in the same way by various people throughout my 5 years of online gaming :D Strange, isn't it? :)

Afran

Part of the furniture
I did it now and then when doing writing work in school but don't really do it anymore. I just wrote a total random word instead of writing what I was 'supposed' to write, usually a word after the word I was supposed to write, if that makes sense... :)

kivik

Part of the furniture
kirennia said:
Isn't it also funny how some typed words just cannot be typed correctly at first glance?

For example, 'just' is a word which I really have to slow down to type because it often comes out as 'jsut'!

I know I'm not alone in this because I've seen many an error made in the same way by various people throughout my 5 years of online gaming :D Strange, isn't it? :)

hehe aye, same with 'some' always end up as 'soem', to me atleast :)

Got the same problems as threadstarter, doubt I'm dyslexic though, I just think to fast forward so that my writing can't keep up, will notice when I make a mistake instantly too.

MaCaBr3

Banned
Well I'm a bit relieved that I'm not the only one with this problem. I was aware that I'm not dyslectic, but sometimes it just felt like I was, but then again there are so many degrees of deslexia, so I wasn't sure :p

Ezteq

Queen of OT
kirennia said:

lol isnt that how many gaming words came about? look at pwn (p next to the o) and teh all kinds of words that were common mistakes and just became part of the gamers language.

when i type its not usually a problem as tbh i type more than i write these days (which is a good thing because since i broke me hand it gets sore if i write with it too long) but when i write with pen and paper i find i put caps in with lower case letters like i'LL bE Writing Like ThiS anD noT knoW because my hand writing tends to need an enigma machine to decipher it i try to write in blocks and im always in a rush so maybe its because some caps are easier to write? dunno.

anyhoo for those who think they may be dyslexic go to or ring your local college or doctors and ask if you can do the dyslexia test they gave it to everyone on my course to see who needs specal help and tbh i cant see why this would be used only for students, it takes only about 15 mins and isn't difficult and its always worth knowing if you have a medical problem that prevents you from doing certain things so that you can find ways to do them that suit your style of doing it.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Blackjack said:
a freudian slip is a slip of the tongue were you replace one word with another to reveal what you are really thinking.

E.g your gf has gotten you a very nice x-mas pressy. She is sitting in a very sexy tight shirt and looking fine. You turn around to say "You are the best" but instead blurt out. "You are the breast" :p
It's basicly. think one thing, say another. ;)

No...

A Freudian slip is where you say one thing and mean your mother :D

Err...i mean...another.

Rub

One of Freddy's beloved
well recently im having the problem that i just forget to type some characters, i think its because im trying to type to fast, but my whole family has a bit dyslexia so might be because of that too

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom