Alternate games ?

Redfern

Fledgling Freddie
I wont start a new lagwhining tread with this post. But just say I'm so damn tired of the everlasting problems with GoA :kissit:

Can anyone recomend another game that in gameplay and genre is like DAoC ?

I've played DAoC only the past 3 years, and have not really been checking out what else have turned up. I did try both WoW and SWG - those did not catch on.

Plz give me a couple of hints guys :D

Helme

Resident Freddy
EQ2 or Guildwars depending on what kind of player you are.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
EQ2 or even EQ1 if you like your pve.

Guildwards if you like your arcade pvp.

Elvo^Rylu

Fledgling Freddie
Guildwars - havn't tried it much, but imagine a MMO-diablo
EQ2 - pure pve to the end. Free trial.
Final Fantasy XI - Has some kind of pvp, can be very fun to play with japanese people. Free trial if you know someone who plays the game.
Lineage II - Pure pvp
City of Heroes - PvP still to come in next expansion, tho they just implemented a arena a few weeks ago, so you can fight each other. r0x to be a superhero.

And lastly if you like fps games
Planetside - MMOFPS game, can be quite fun. free trial.

Escape

Can't get enough of FH
I'm on Guild Wars atm, it's quite good... just a shame they didn't market the game better.

The PvP appears to be more tactical and skill-based than DAoC.

Zebolt

Can't get enough of FH
It's a darn shame they don't charge you for guildwars too..

Chronictank

FH is my second home
Guild Wars is nice but be warned if you have a crappy comp you gona have fps lag >_<
I havent got ready for pvp yet
One good thing i found about guild wars there no DT on patches, all the updates are made on the live servers ^^.
Early days yet but looks pretty promising, best of all its free :D

Exarkun

Fledgling Freddie
Planetside is a mmfps. Very nice game.
imo this is the original new frontiers, bases and towers to capture.

you can run around in Mechs, fly around, drive tanks, use heavy weaponry. its a blast rly :)

Cavex ElSaviour

Fledgling Freddie
guild wars. you can instantly make your lvl 20 char, more spells/skills will unlock later when you lvl up. haven't expiernced any lag so far and best of all. no monthly subscription

Darksword

Can't get enough of FH
is guild wars worth playing? it looks good on the site but :p how bigs the world and how many people r currently playing it? whats pvp like at the mo and if u inst lvl 20 wont u haev no items? :p

Ballard

Fledgling Freddie
ATM, you are fine with a insta level 20 character as there is so many ppl doing it. You basically get to choose each armour/weapon piece out of a limited selection of choices. Then do some minor skill adjustments and voila you are done and ready for action. I just bought it yesterday out of frustration at the DAOC lag but had a blast for the 2-3 hours I played. There are a TON of people in the starter zones. Start a proper level 1 character tho, the quests/items and skills you get while adventuring seem well worthwhile and fun.

Ballard

Fledgling Freddie
played ryzom in beta and it was a load of crap tbh. truly bug ridden even on release I hear. ! week before go live heaps of items and monster gave you error text whenever you tried to look at em. Very good ideas but very poorly implemented. If someone is still playing it, it would be initeresting to know how its turned out now its been out for a bit.

Outlander

Part of the furniture
playing guildwars as well and tbh its pretty good. looks are really nice with some good details, the quests n stuff are pretty good too and not too hard to get the hang of.

the pvp is fun, the arenas(battlegrounds) you can go to as you level up are nice, based on small grp vs grp fights that last from 1-10 mins or there abouts. classes are great with ability to have secondary spec line, and can choose from any of the classes so there is alot open for variety and utility to all players.

it progresses rather well there doesnt appear to be mmuch grind so far, always have things to do that help you level n stuff, as well as just killing mobs ofc that works fine too. yea think of diablo as a mmo and with gfx better than wow/daoc (imo) and you are pretty close.

plus theres no subs to pay at all. and if you want you can just roll a pure pvp character to mess about with.

Ballard

Fledgling Freddie
The current issue of PCGamer has a 15 day trial for UO including all the expansions. Id guess there is still a reasonable number of people playing it.

gervaise

Fledgling Freddie
UO: Sir_Bruce in his recent chart puts UO subscription pretty much on a par with DAoC at c. 175k. His confidence rating in the DAoC number is low though and given the recent nosedive in US peak population (only just passed 14k peak last night) its probably fair to say that UO numbers exceed DAoC.

GW: probably worth saying that this has had a semi-open beta over the last 12 months. A few weekends initially then for the last 6 months everyone who pre-ordered could play 1 weekend a month. Worth saying because it means the developers have had genuine feedback. Character options are remarkable fluid as well. Biggest plus about it is the lack of a monthly subscription of course so you can try it and not feel you are abandoning DAoC/EQ/EQ2/Wow etc. Some will stay of course attracted by the pricing policy. Optional paid for expansions are 'planned' but you get to pay for those with DAoC as well of course.

Javai

Fledgling Freddie
Guild Wars really isn't like Diablo MMO on-line at all (though having loved Diablo 2 I was hoping it might be :) ) - the skill sets are much much more detailed and require some real thought to actually adapt your skills to situations. You get a vast amount of skills but can only take 8 into a given mission so you need to think about which 8 to use.

Personally I am really liking GW - I like my games to have optional pvp so I do it when I'm in the mood and GW sets this up really well, but it also caters for the pvp crowd by letting you jump right into it and not having to actually level up the character first. In DaoC terms its like being able to roll a new 50 with whatever spec you like each time you fancy some rvr

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom