Crap Almost certain to go stir crazy...

Urgat

Part of the furniture
Two days into my first six weeks of recovery following spinal surgery...

Bored shitless

:(

leggy

Probably Scottish
Get well soon.

Sounds like you need a full time hot nurse. Learn Spanish or Chinese... Think how useful it'll be when you leave the house for the first time and not one speaks English anymore :)

Urgat

Part of the furniture
A discectomy.

Incision at base of spine, muscle peeled back, bone drilled through, nerve moved out of the way, then section of disc removed.

Then put it all back together.

Relatively minor procedure as far as spinal surgery goes, but fuck me does it hurt now.

Can barely move.

More suggestions on how to occupy myself please :)

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Ouch.

Spanish if you can do it. Why the hell not. They reckon about 1000 hours is what you need to put in to Spanish to be able to speak fluently. Chineese is 10,000 hours.

So, a mere 8 hours a day for 6 weeks and you can be 240 hours in to it!

Or play Civ. ;)

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Think how useful it'll be when you leave the house for the first time and not one speaks English anymore :)

You should know :p

On a more "helpful" note; mouse driven games(such as hearthstone), or in a pinch...ngh...consoles should keep you occupado. CAtch up on you reading, design/do something you've been keeping from.

fettoken

I am a FH squatter
How limited are you exactly? Can you utilize your computer or do you need to lie down all the time? Can you have a wank without perishing? (If you haven't had a vasectomy like some others..)

You should know :p

On a more "helpful" note; mouse driven games(such as hearthstone), or in a pinch...ngh...consoles should keep you occupado. CAtch up on you reading, design/do something you've been keeping from.

Actually, an Xbox 360 controller for PC works wonders with, for example Xcom, Skyrim, Deus Ex, Fallout etc.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Spanish is a pretty pointless language, learn Cantonese, or at least make a start!

Get well soon old bean.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Actually, an Xbox 360 controller for PC works wonders with, for example Xcom, Skyrim, Deus Ex, Fallout etc.

Why the fuck would you hobble yourself with a controller for these games when a wireless keyboard and mouse in your lap works a bazillion times better?

Spanish is a pretty pointless language, learn Cantonese, or at least make a start!

Disagree completely. A shitload of the world speaks spanish - and if you go travelling it's nice to speak the lingo (or be able to get by).

Unless you plan on travelling to China or working there, why bother?

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Because more and more opportunities are arising with the Chinese, working in law and speaking Cantonese could open all sorts of doors. Working and in law and speaking Spanish, not so much. A lot of the places that people think speak Spanish actually speak Portuguese or a bastardisation of Spanish anyway.

Mabs

J Peasemould Gruntfuttock
Because more and more opportunities are arising with the Chinese, working in law and speaking Cantonese could open all sorts of doors. Working and in law and speaking Spanish, not so much. A lot of the places that people think speak Spanish actually speak Portuguese or a bastardisation of Spanish anyway.

this is very true, also most UK people learn french/spanish/german, those are a dime a dozen, speaking buggalog or whatever is much more rare

mooSe_

FH is my second home
My dad got knocked off his bike by some idiot and broke his hip a few years ago. He's a very practical guy and usually spends most of his time out doing stuff so was depressed at the idea of spending months stuck inside. My brother jokingly said to him "Well you could either learn Japanese or learn to build a violin from scratch in that time", so he went up the shed and made a violin. He's made like 3 or 4 now in his spare time and has been teaching himself to play too ^^

I guess you can't do any woodwork if it's your back but still try to do something that engages your brain imo. 6 weeks of TV will probably turn your brain into soup. Learning a language seems like a good plan to me. Or you could learn a programming language if that interests you. Make a list of books that you never got round to reading and read all of them. Do the same with video games if you are able to play I guess.

Get well soon init

Urgat

Part of the furniture
Whelp.

PS3 has been relocated, do i have to pay for netflix?

Recommendations on ps3 games? Especially if cheap on ps store.

Got bl2, skyrim, red dead, ME3 , already.

Was gonna reply last night, but codene + naproxyn + paracetamol = knocked the fuck out!

Mobility is possible but limited and painful, unfortunately its required so that things don't seize up. So most of the time at the mo is spent reclined in bed, interspersed with cursing as i try to mobilise myself in various ways.

Thanks for the thoughts.

babs

Can't get enough of FH
Netflix is 6 quid a month, but have a look at the info in my 'recommend me a film' thread a little way down and sort yourself out with something like unblock-us too

babs

Can't get enough of FH
Oh and if you learn Chinese, go for Mandarin not Cantonese. Mandarin has standard romanisation (pinyin iirc) and is much more widely spoken.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
I'd say don't spend all your time on films and games m8. Definitely keep the brain engaged ;)

Urgat

Part of the furniture
I'd say don't spend all your time on films and games m8. Definitely keep the brain engaged ;)

Oh for sure.

Several hundred books on my kindle, some writing to do... Though i think ill pass on chinese :)

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
Fuk learning Chinese..teach them English...far more productive.

babs

Can't get enough of FH
Might be teaching you to suck eggs depending on your level of geek, but sign up at codeacademy. Great way to get started on javascript, python, ruby etc and it's all game-ified so you earn badges and stuff doing it.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
educate thyself young man. games and movies are well and good but use those for happy fun times. set yourself a schedule and work that brain. learn a new language, learn a new programming language, learn something practical in theory and immidately start applying it once mobile again. read your ass off. yup.

mooSe_

FH is my second home
Yeah do what Job says and invite a bunch of Chinese people round your house and teach them English.

Urgat

Part of the furniture
1st book on the agenda...

A brief history of time - Stephen Hawking.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Hope you get better soon @Urgat
educate thyself young man. games and movies are well and good but use those for happy fun times. set yourself a schedule and work that brain. learn a new language, learn a new programming language, learn something practical in theory and immidately start applying it once mobile again. read your ass off. yup.
This, fuck a spoken language, learn to code. If you write some spiffy software you could get rich and people will generally help you translate that shit for nothing anyway. You could call it Urgats Urchin and be the best flappy bird clone since whatever flappy bird copied to begin with ;)

fettoken

I am a FH squatter
Why the fuck would you hobble yourself with a controller for these games when a wireless keyboard and mouse in your lap works a bazillion times better?
See now, the thing with a wireless keyboard and mouse, slight disturbance with the connection or the battery, they start chopping and acting up. Also, you need to handle these two items while lying down, in bed, which together makes it massively annoying sometimes. Also, have you even tried playing these games with an Xbox 360 controller? It works like a charm, there are actually enough buttons also you needn't strain your muscles in bad ways while, yeah, lying down. Dare you to try it!

So, in this case, you are massively mistaken!

sayward

Resident Freddy
Sounds ridiculous but a brilliant bloke I know taught himself to crochet. It's very therapeutic. Get well soon. Know what it's like my daughter had a cage put in her broken C7. She was wanting to do things and not being allowed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom