almost a valid argument for alcohol pricing

tris-

Failed Geordie and Parmothief
alcohol pricing in supermarkets that is.

'doctors' (who ever these may be) suggested that minimum alcohol pricing in supermarkets is raising the price of everyones shopping bill. apparently the supermarket increase the prices of other goods when they lower the price of booze. therfore, without minimum prices, our shopping bills will remain high.

we must bring in minimum alcohol pricing.

however, these 'doctors' forgot one small thing. supermarkets are a business. if they can charge £1.20 now for 2L of milk, i doubt theyl knock the price down to 1.10 just because a can of strongbow went up by 10p. theyl simply raise the price of booze, and keep the same pricing strategy in place for everything else. or am i being unfair to these fatcat supermarkets?

maybe they are ran by decent people that care about the consumer.

im failing to see a single valid argument for enforcing minimum alcohol prices in supermarkets.

anyone care to propose one?

soze

I am a FH squatter
Only one i can think of it is making an alcoholics job easier, but they would still find a way and why should the many pay the price because of a few.

Thadius

Part of the furniture
Miost doctors drink anyway, so they cant say shit.

Apparently one of the most highest car insrance "bands" is for doctors, due to drinking alcohol.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
MAaximum alcohol price, or regulated(nation wide) alcohol pricing would work.

IF

Other products had a maximum price after which they would have to marked as "expensive" by the store.

Then people could buy it, but know that it's over the national average price for that product.

taB

Part of the furniture
As someone who sells overpriced wine I am all in favour of a minimum alcohol price as we'd get more customers.

Supermarkets often run loss-leader promotions on alcohol which should be frowned upon in my opinion. But then there's a reason why 90% of UK wine purchases are made in the supermarket.

Oh, and if anyone puts a max price on my clarets I'll go on a fucking rampage :)

tris-

Failed Geordie and Parmothief
surely in the free market like ours, youre free to reduce your wine prices and get more customers?
if its over priced like you say, that to me means you could reduce your price and still make money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom