All you Pro's give a new player some advice...

C

CobraMkIII

Ok, here goes...

I think I've found a game that is reminiscent of Elite :clap: ...

I've been looking at the Eve official web site to get an idea about the game, as I haven't bought it yet (will be buying it this weekend!)... but when I do I want to start off on the right foot. Obviously I will read the manual... but I thought people that are playing the game now, and those that have been Beta testers could tell me what I want to know;

I was looking to play a kind of solo player (I'm a casual gamer... ie not much free time, so I would like to get a little fast and exciting playtime!)... so I was looking at being a kind of rogue hunter ship, that could perhaps trade some banned substances... (I probably have a Han Solo complex! ;) ).

What race should I go for?... is there a race I should avoid?... obviously race determines the ships i have available to me... any ideal candidates for the kind of character I want to play? Any pitfalls I should be aware of?

Your suggestions/comments would be welcomed!

Hope to see you all in game! ;)

Edited to remove the REALLY dumbass questions! :p

N

Neural Network

First thing you should avoid is expecting too much. The game is lacking alot of the features people is made to belive it has on the official site, and no one can tell when/if they'll come.
On the bright side you don't have to worry too much about chosing race and profession as all players can train all skill and fly all ships. I've heard all the cool dudes play Gallente 'cause they start of with an atrribute point more than the other races. Not that it matters as attributes only influence your training time and not your performance.
And about smuggling drugs. I've seen the illegal drugs on the market (no supply or demand though), but they dissapeared after the latest patch. Also the smuggler skills (if any) isn't really in effect yet. But it may change soon

C

CobraMkIII

Thanks for the info Neural...

I'm suprised that all races can fly all ships as you are given the distinct impression that races only have certain types of ships open to them!

It's a shame what you say about the illegal drugs market... I was hoping to "level up" by trading... I think that sounds more fun than mining!... (mining was dead boring in Elite let alone here!). I hope that trading is a viable career path!

Surely there must be someone to say what patches are coming and what will be fixed?... What features are lacking specifically at the moment then? :eek:

The boards here seem a little quiet... although I have delved deep to look at some of the "new player info" that people have posted!... I think there should be more of this, so get posting your hints and tips people... that way new players may stick around for longer! :clap:

M

Midgardian

A good site to look at is www.eve-i.com

They have a lot of useful info on ships, skills equipment etc etc

N

Neural Network

I play as a Caldarian, but at the moment the Caldari regions are heavily camped by player pirates, which makes traveling outside of the secure systems very risky. That is one good reason to play as another race.
The primary reason I've stayed in the Science & Trade Institute is to help new players, and I like to play as I see fit outside of a player run corporation

C

CobraMkIII

Maverick Cobra

Well, I took the plunge... wandered down to Game and bought Eve after checking out the Eve-I site mentioned above (thanks!). Well it all looks impressive so far after I loaded it up last night. The tutorial was well done. I still have to sit down and properly read the manual, but initial reaction is "It has potential!" :D

For anyone interested I became a Gallante Immigrant called Maverick Cobra who studied Trade and Black Market Trading. And yes I know Maverick is a prententious name, but it was my Elite Commander name, and I wanted to stick with it! :p

Anyway, as a Trader what do you think the first thing I did?... yes, well, it was mining!! :( Oh well, we all gotta start somewhere!

If you see me around feel free to spend 100isk (wtf!) and say "Hi". Your patience would be appreciated! :rolleyes:

T

Tom

I just gave you 100 000 isk to get you started, go buy yourself an Imicus and a couple of expanded cargo holds. If you're interested in joining a corp, do a player search for Shintai at Coretech, and speak with him. Explain your background (tell him you come from same forums as Embattle and Tomm), and he might let you join up!

gl and hf

C

CobraMkIII

Crikey!! Thanks... That is very kind of you! :clap: Hope everyone in game is this kind! :D

Can't wait to get home from work now and try and find somewhere to buy a ship... :eek:

T

Tom

I'd sell you my old imi, but im about 50 jumps away from it atm lol

A

adslrizla

Sell? Dear god I tried to give one away - fully equipped for newb miners with some basic lasers/crystals in the hold. Could I? Not a chance :D Sadly Cobra had already bought his before I even saw this thread....

C

Custy

the 100isk for sending msgs and chat is to stop game wide spamming and advertising etc.

C

CobraMkIII

Well, I'm a few days into Eve, I've made some cash mining, have bought a frigate (using a kind donation above!), am hanging in there, but I've been a little frustrated in my attempts to become a trader... I've travelled around a little bit between systems making a note of goods and prices, but can't really find anything that has a reasonable* profit margin, especially when you compare it to mining... <*I define 'reasonable' as profit making approaching or perhaps exceeding mining>

Surely I can't be the only one... :(

In Elite I used to trade computers between a "safe" zone and an "unsafe" zone... and then the return trip would involve buying narcotics... Made me a wealthy player...

I'm hoping other traders have had some experience in this within Eve... and might be able to offer some advice or "places to go" where there are established trade routes and goods.

Obviously I'm flying a frigate, and am not in the arms of a corporation as yet, so I can't get entangled with big time pirates just yet... but the time will come... ;)

(EDIT - Thanks Custy!... It's a good idea... I now appreciate why it's done!)

O

Olgark

I play a Minmatar freelancer if you want to chat with the other freelancers visit the in game channle FLC or mercsforhire. The mercs channle is not very active as its mainly used for contracts but at the moment not many corps are giving them out yet.

The blackmarket is coming in soon with the next batch of patches from what I hear.

the FLC are not a corp we are just a bunch of players that join up in game and either mine or hunt pirates, we also swap Blue Prints with each other to further the Freelancer network.

If you need a contact in game I am Kiran.

O

Olgark

Originally posted by CobraMkIII
Well, I'm a few days into Eve, I've made some cash mining, have bought a frigate (using a kind donation above!), am hanging in there, but I've been a little frustrated in my attempts to become a trader... I've travelled around a little bit between systems making a note of goods and prices, but can't really find anything that has a reasonable* profit margin, especially when you compare it to mining... <*I define 'reasonable' as profit making approaching or perhaps exceeding mining>

Surely I can't be the only one... :(

In Elite I used to trade computers between a "safe" zone and an "unsafe" zone... and then the return trip would involve buying narcotics... Made me a wealthy player...

I'm hoping other traders have had some experience in this within Eve... and might be able to offer some advice or "places to go" where there are established trade routes and goods.

Obviously I'm flying a frigate, and am not in the arms of a corporation as yet, so I can't get entangled with big time pirates just yet... but the time will come... ;)

(EDIT - Thanks Custy!... It's a good idea... I now appreciate why it's done!)

The market is not static like in Elite it changes and moves about thats one reason your trade routes move. But if you can find that niche in the market and sell your goods before other traders get there you will make a killing.

A

adslrizla

Also you'll never make any money trading on the npc market in the same region (or if you do you'll be damn lucky). You need to find inter-region trade routes to make serious cash.

Alternatively you make pc contacts and trade with them (which is actually much more enjoyable). Find a miner in an area where mineral costs are rubbish and buy from him. Then move the minerals to an area where you know somebody else buys regularly. Eg - a player called Malais buys all the nox he can at Vittenyn and will pay up to 210 for it if it's in quantity. He visits the system every day to pickup (or he did when I was there). So go find someone who's willing to sell to you for less, ship to Vitt and sell it to Malais. He sells it on to his mate who runs a corp and everyone is happy :)

With minerals I found what worked for me was keeping an eye on who was buying from me (on the market) and if they were doing it regularly I'd approach them and do a deal which guaranteed me a fixed price. I made a hell of a lot of ISK (50 mill+ ) doing this :D

Be realistic about what you charge though when dealing with other players. You have to leave them enough margin to make money as well (if they're traders).

L

larossa

A tip I discovered was that if you exit a station, hit warp a bit early and find yourself dangling in space for ages, waiting for GMs to move you - get a friend to ram your ship.

After being stuck in warp (not the tunnel effect) just outside a station for 30 mins plus, a corp mate suggested this solution and after a couple of trys it worked. :)

M

Midgardian

I am Also now a Freelancer, Based out of the Solitude Region.

Need anything, then feel free to look me up

C

CobraMkIII

Oddball

I've seemed to have turned this thread into my own personal log... my apologies to everyone! :eek:

Anyway, I've joined a very friendly (if not quite mad) bunch of people at the Oddball Mining Corp ( I would post the URL but it seems I'm not allowed :( )... hopefully any merchanting skills I possess will come in useful to them.

Thanks for all your help and comments so far everyone... seems like a friendly community... apart from those damned pirates! :eek:

M

Midgardian

Did you say not quite mad...

Not the same bunch of Oddballs i Know then :D

We should bump into each other...

C

Custy

The advantage of mining over trading is that you will get a steady income, you know you will get roughly x amount of isk in the next few days etc.

Trading on the other hand will not pay enless you find a traderoute no one else has, trading is harder and probably requires more braincells but pays off well when you hit big.

C

CobraMkIII

New beginnings!

Well, after a short time of playing Maverick Cobra the trader I decided to start up another character, which I have trained up in his stead.

His name is Apollo Adama (ok so I like Battlestar Galactica!) and he is a Minmatan Brutor. I'm flying a Rifter frigate at the moment, and am making short work of NPC pirates, and making my cash from their loot...

I spent some time last night (after deleting Maverick and getting Apollo into Oddballs Mining Corp) helping defend the miners in the corp from NPC's... Most enjoyable...

I'm wondering if, with the recent patch, is it worth sticking to the Rifter Frigate, or instead saving up for a Rupture Cruiser... any thoughts anyone?... Can you fight a cruiser with a frigate and win? Hell, can you fight a Battleship with a cruiser and win??...

The stats for the Rupture indicate it's a great fighting ship with good speed... but it doesn't have the drone capacity of a Thorax...

E

Edaudric

Originally posted by Tom[SHOTTEH]
I'd sell you my old imi, but im about 50 jumps away from it atm lol

50 jumps is fun!
go make yourself some coffee, set your waypoints, turn on the autopilot and listen to the jukebox :)

Though, I did that with 4 jumps, not 50. I suppose it takes a while :x

S

spookehs

I though I'd post here instead of making a new thread, now I've heard about EVE (no high level content etc...) but I was bored and picked it up along with Silent Hill. As I needed something to do while I waited for Dragon Empires to be released.

Now back to my main question. I am COMPLETELY new I have never see what the HUD looks like, how it works and I have followed the tutorial and I have no idea what to do next. Anyone give any tips, where to mine etc?

The in game name is: Spookie

L

larossa

I suggest you do some missions for your agent, this gives you a go at mining, trading, fighting and a small amount of exploring. I did quite a lot of these and it is a good way of getting the hang of the game, plus the agent gives you a small amount of isk as a reward.

If I log on and there is no-one on in my corp I do missions; I ended up with loads of agents rated from abyssmal to awesome and I did 55 missions for my awesome agent (level 1) before she gave me a level 2 agent. That is a lot of garbage being taken out :) It would seem that you have to gain the "exemplary" standing with your agent before you get the next level one.

O

Old Nicodemus

And if you need any help in game Spookie just drop me an eve mail :)

Users who are viewing this thread