All this talk of "staying daoc till wow" what about ultima X ffs ?

S

snoz

http://www.uxo.ea.com/

After UO2 was canceled i thought theres no hope for another mmorpg i will get into like i was into uo but now theres this.

UO will always be the best mmorpg i have played and I've played most ^^.

Reading about this, it sounds amazing and the UO team have a proven track record no ?

They pretty much invented the genre (only mmorpg before uo i rememeber was meridian 59).

Some highlights for good pvp :

One-on-one gladiatorial dueling: Make private wagers and battle for supremacy in consensual player vs. player duels (real tourneys and even betting)

Guild versus Guild battles: Defend your guild’s reputation in grand-scale battles in private areas.
( no more bitching and whining about who the best without adds) .... #1 maelstorm #2 PE #49 FL

Imo this game has more chance of being a "i quit daoc" game then wow does by a long shot.

F

frogster

I looked at this a while ago, and while i'll certainly be giving it a go, the more info i read about it the more it looks like Diablo than UO

E

elewyth

uo as it is now is Diablo..... this tbh looks shit...dated and totally ripping off WOW's gfx engine and look and feel... tbh They fucked up UO and theyll fuck this up..

J

JoxerTheMighty

When the old UO started a couple of years ago I was very interested in testing it but since Richard Garriot left Origin the whole series suffered from a constant downfall.

Apart from a slight familiarity with the names (mobs, maybe towns, if we get lucky some chars...) these new UO products have nothing in common with the "old" Ultima anymore. Sure, it may become a good game after all in the end but for me it wont be Ultima anymore.

S

solothores

Maybe it is just me, but I had suddenly WOW in mind, when I first saw some of the ingame shots feat. Mobs in Ux.

Cheers
Solo

V

Validus

all i want is a game where i see my char hitting the monster and not thin air! is that too much to ask??

S

Shike

Blizzard is a pretty solid company aswell Snoz :)

I've done some reading on WoW last days and there is some pretty good thinking behind it imo. Deffo worth a try I believe. Beta starts early 2004 \o/

T

thegreatest

Originally posted by Shike
Beta starts early 2004 \o/

Not for us European people :(. Think we can wait till April/May 2004 only for the stress-testing...

X

Xeanor

lol yeah, run by EA, the good UO was run by OSI and was sold later on to EA I think, it's totally fucked up now.

no chance that this will be as good as UO was at release

A

Alpha-SWG

old uo...

old uo is fun, even when tram released..
UO:Age of Shadow?
i call it: Ultima Online: Age of Diablo
UO is dead. UXO ? come on, it is like UO + Blizzard style char (including WC and diablo) and it looks like WoW to me...

S

Shike

Originally posted by thegreatest
Not for us European people :(. Think we can wait till April/May 2004 only for the stress-testing...

yea but once beta is launched its closer to release anyhow atleast :) Its a light in the tunnel! ;)

I dont mind waiting for something that is tuned and ready for release rather than get angry over a release thats halfdone and not even tested properly (savages anyone?).

W

Whisperess

Re: old uo...

Originally posted by Alpha-SWG
and it looks like WoW to me...
Not really fair vs. WoW. UxO looks crap in comparison.

T

Twaize

Originally posted by Kahland
i think i'll get a rl, after daoc.

As long as u believe in it urself :D

Anyways I have decided for Darkfall and I hope Flesh does as well...

S

Silenzio

Originally posted by JoxerTheMighty
When the old UO started a couple of years ago I was very interested in testing it

1996 not couple ov years ago :)

uo lasted till 20/01/00 then everything sadly started to fall

give free pvp...

wide land with random mob so everyone can exp everywher

give skill system...

male guards like in uo... still able to fight (town kill) but get killed

remove the pve farming crap

done

S

sh33py

Originally posted by snoz

Some highlights for good pvp :

One-on-one gladiatorial dueling: Make private wagers and battle for supremacy in consensual player vs. player duels (real tourneys and even betting)

Guild versus Guild battles: Defend your guild’s reputation in grand-scale battles in private areas.
( no more bitching and whining about who the best without adds) .... #1 maelstorm #2 PE #49 FL

Imo this game has more chance of being a "i quit daoc" game then wow does by a long shot.

I.e. there will be absolutely no free PvP whatsoever, and no consentual in normal areas, declare war on a guild and you have to go to a private area to fight it? Christ :)

Way to piss all over the memory of what made UO great, not that I'd expect any different from EA, they're about as clueless as SOE/Microshaft.

Sounds like just another average mmorpg tbh, while WoW has the potential to be something special.

J

joesilverado

Originally posted by snoz

I pretty much agree with that. But it seems to me to be more of a 'spend you time' kind of game versus a 'waste your time' kind of game, from what I see.

UO loves to reward you for just wasting time and hanging out and playing around and sort of being part of the world. It seems to me that UXO is looking to fill the Gamer niche more than the RPG niche -- it bases itself on Questing, Grailing, being a Hero, Wagering, Jousting, Battling, and the like.

It looks like its an MMORPG that could appeal to someone like me with a shorter attention span and more of a desire to pretend its the Crusades and I am a Knight Templar (oh, my vivid fantasy life).

I don't want to be a tailor or a pirate or go sailing and I don't need a mount -- I just want a pretty good D&D game that gives me some thrills.

O

old.Nikolas

If you guys like rvr, then you really have to take a look at Darkfall :D

N

NairyK-

Whats the release date on WoW ?
This Ultima X thing looks pritty :) i might give it a bash. By the time thats out i think GOA would of improved, but, GOA improving doesn't make sense imho:clap:

O

old.Ramas

Originally posted by NairyK-
Whats the release date on WoW ?

Officially probably Q3 or something.

Realistically end Q4 '04, maybe Q1 '05.

Pessimistically it could easily be as late as Q3 '05.

S

SilverHood

For Role playing AND RvR, Realms of Torment looks the daddy

No levels or class reistrictions either.

F

Faeldawn

Lookin forward to Dragon Empires myself, hoping to get on the beta test so i can get a feel for the game (while aiding its development in my own miniscule way ofc :)).

Must say im not overkeen on WoW, so much hype that it simply cant live up to its billing and so will likely be a disapointment (a la SW:G). I'm afraid it'll just be another xp grind rpg but with more fluff than the others, when at its core its yet another clone.

That being said, having Blizzard at the helm does inspire confidence.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom