Alcoholic/Drug Addict

Laddey

FH is my second home
So, is it possible to be 'addicted' to something without actually having physical urges for it.

Alcoholics tend to wake up and have a drink or whatever they do.

Drugies usually get up, have a line or a dig to sort them selves out.

But is it actually possible to be an alcoholic without drinking in the mornings? And is there a word for it?

For example, could you be classed as a cocaine addict or a crack addict if you never touched it until weekend, and your weekend would be shit without actually having it? Is that an addiction?

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
So, is it possible to be 'addicted' to something without actually having physical urges for it.

Drugies usually get up, have a line or a dig to sort them selves out.

But is it actually possible to be an alcoholic without drinking in the mornings? And is there a word for it?

For example, could you be classed as a cocaine addict or a crack addict if you never touched it until weekend, and your weekend would be shit without actually having it? Is that an addiction?

Well, that depends on peoples and cultures definition.

In the US for example, if you went out every friday and/or saturday, you'd be labelled as an alcoholic.

Some say it's "if you drink too much", which sometimes isn't in your control(shots etc that hit suddenly).

Some say it's only if you drink to a hangover. This actually had a study, that if you never drink while having a hangover, you can't become an alcoholic. Makes sense really.

In the basis, everything is addictive, hell, FH is addictive and most of us probably are addicted. Addictions aren't bad necessarily, but, if it begins to harm you more then it gains you, it's a wrong behaviour.

Laddey

FH is my second home
So what if i drink because im hungover? Hair of the dog etc

tris-

Failed Geordie and Parmothief
it becomes a problem when youre doing it, dont enjoy it and cant stop your self.

imo

Olgaline

FH is my second home
adiction for me is defined by if you can live without it or not.
not what time of day or wich day of the week...
if you "must" again and again, then it's an addiction..

F.exp I'm bloody addicted to Air!
Also take things like gambling and mmo's there is no physical addiction, but never the less it's it can easily lead to an addiction -.

However I also belive that people can use drugs, drink even smoke without catching an addiction. However! people that smoke regulary, and proclaim that they arent addicted are fooling them selvs, yes you might smoke becuase you like it ? fair enough I'm with you! you might be able to quit when ever you want? suure I belive you!
but dont go fooling your self or try to convince me your not addicted!

I smoked, I liked it, and I quit when I wanted to quit, but I sure as fuck was addicted.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
So what if i drink because im hungover? Hair of the dog etc

It's cool, the study showed that you can't get addicted if you don't, not that you will if you do :)

However! people that smoke regulary, and proclaim that they arent addicted are fooling them selvs, yes you might smoke becuase you like it ? fair enough I'm with you! you might be able to quit when ever you want? suure I belive you!
but dont go fooling your self or try to convince me your not addicted!

Well usually when people say "addicted" they mean "can't stop". That i will deny. I'm addicted to the habbit, and i did even quit, but started again "just 'cause". No real reason. I can quit, and anyone not believing isn't my poblem. Will i or do i want to, is a different question.

Shagrat

I am a FH squatter
Well, a definition of addiction is:

Addiction is a habitual repetition of excessive behavior that a person is unable or unwilling to stop, despite its harmful consequences. People can be physically addicted to a drug, meaning they may suffer ill physical effects if they stop taking the drug. They also can be psychologically addicted to drugs, gambling, or other behaviors, meaning they feel overwhelmingly deprived if they attempt to stop.

So, it doesnt have to be psychologically addicitive, it can just be repetitive behaviour that you do without thinking about it, like logging into a website as soon as you get home from work without thinking about it.

Laddey

FH is my second home
Well, a definition of addiction is:

Addiction is a habitual repetition of excessive behavior that a person is unable or unwilling to stop, despite its harmful consequences. People can be physically addicted to a drug, meaning they may suffer ill physical effects if they stop taking the drug. They also can be psychologically addicted to drugs, gambling, or other behaviors, meaning they feel overwhelmingly deprived if they attempt to stop.

So, it doesnt have to be psychologically addicitive, it can just be repetitive behaviour that you do without thinking about it, like logging into a website as soon as you get home from work without thinking about it.

So what about when i get home, i roll a joint and smoke it. If i don't i tend to feel groggy or sarcastic or just generally fucked off.

Is that an addiction or just repetitive behaviour?

Shagrat

I am a FH squatter
yeah because your not doing it because you want a joint, your doing it because you always do it.

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
Yep. You've got all the classic signs. Your avatar is a skunk bud. You post pictures of Meg with a spliff in her mouth. You talk about buying and smoking weed constantly on FH. You, my little buttercup of juicy moisture, have a weed dependency.

Laddey

FH is my second home
Yep. You've got all the classic signs. Your avatar is a skunk bud. You post pictures of Meg with a spliff in her mouth. You talk about buying and smoking weed constantly on FH. You, my little buttercup of juicy moisture, have a weed dependency.
lol.

Shagrat

I am a FH squatter
well let's see shall we.

Avoid weed completely for the next 2 weeks and see how you get on.

We want a daily progress report on here or we'll send the heavies round.

We'll make you our latest forum social experiment, kind of reverse-confrontation therapy to see if your a weed-head or not.

Laddey

FH is my second home
well let's see shall we.

Avoid weed completely for the next 2 weeks and see how you get on.

We want a daily progress report on here or we'll send the heavies round.

We'll make you our latest forum social experiment, kind of reverse-confrontation therapy to see if your a weed-head or not.
Hahaha, 2 weeks is a long time!

Uara

Part of the furniture
indeed its not that long, hell, me and Toht are trying to avoid wanking for 30 days, just over 4 weeks, thats a much harder challenge :p

Maeloch

Part of the furniture

There's a word for alcoholics that have stopped drinking, have no physical craving but still aren't out the woods, as they are psychologically dependent - 'dry drunk'. Think if all additions boiled down purely to physical dependance they wouldn't be much of a problem tbh :(

Dahakon

Fledgling Freddie
So what would you guys think about someone who normally doesn't want to smoke, doesn't like the smell etc, but when I drink, I really feel like one, and normally smoke?
Is that an addiction? a dependency or what?

Laddey

FH is my second home
So what would you guys think about someone who normally doesn't want to smoke, doesn't like the smell etc, but when I drink, I really feel like one, and normally smoke?
maybe enjoyment? You might enjoy it more when your having a few pints or w/e.I know most smokers who drink enjoy a good fag when having a pint

tris-

Failed Geordie and Parmothief

same for me.
i found i didnt like smoking all the time, but if im drinking i will.
they go hand in hand.

Cemeterygates

Can't get enough of FH
Toht/Uara.. for you :]
kates-playground-tits.jpg

TAAAAAAAAAAAASTY!! :sex:

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home

We call them wankers.

Hate those f*cks who are "casual smokers" and then smoke YOUR cigarettes :eek:

Overdriven

Dumpster Fire of The South

You sound exactly like one of my friends before they started. If you don't like them, then why crave? I mean, I hate Marmite and have never craved it while drunk.

A casual smoker (Whether drunk or not) is still a smoker.

soze

I am a FH squatter
I would calss an addiction as not being able to go without so if you can't go the weekend without a line of Coke id say its an addiction. And i do not think you need physical symtoms if in your mind you cant have fun or if you don't have it you think the weekend in ruined thats an addiction. IMO anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom