Albion... PFF! most stupid name

Gualin

Fledgling Freddie
Right... Albion might not be the best name for this game... nothing wrong with it, but begginers might think that albion is main realm...

Like: "Dark Age of Camelot
And the capital of albion is Camelot

maybe that's why more ppl play alb :confused:

Archon

Fledgling Freddie
Well you got a point.. I personally think lots of newbie players chooses Albion because of this point! :clap: Later they find out that also the producer think this because of all the love alb got, tbh :m00:

Also I think Albion = The old name for England I think.. So ok name anyways.

[TB] Benedictine

Fledgling Freddie
Hhmm - what would life have been like if it had been called the 'Realm Wars' or something non-committal? Better population balance maybe? I joined Alb as Im from UK, know the history and wanted to fight for the 'good' cause :wub:

Archon

Fledgling Freddie
yeah! Im getting monay soon, alb here I cooome! (me2 whant to smite tah evul hibbies and fat middies) :clap:

Fedaykin

Fledgling Freddie
Albion was in fact an old name for England

and Midgard was the place where humans dwelt according to norse mythology it translates as Middle-earth (J.R.R. Tolkiens is more famous though)

Kagato

Fledgling Freddie
Albion means White Island I think, which is indeed an old name for England, given to it by some captain who saw the white cliffs from his ship.

I do not remember the exact names or details though, but that is the basic version of it.

As for the game name relating to the population situration? I seriously doubt it, there are some dumb people out there, but people are not that stupid.

I chose Albion because I love the Arthurian legends and the ideals of a noble knight, and im sure theres plenty in midgard who went there because they like the Norse legends and those who love spellcasters would be naturally drawn to Hibernia. Its quite clear on the game box theres 3 Realms and you can choose which one you wish to defend, on the first pages of the manual theres a bit of text from a person of each realm stating why they want you to join the defense of theres.

Naewae

Fledgling Freddie
Nothing to do with the name of the realm.... I chose Albion because I wanted to be a human-being, not some fat retarded monster or a skinny, pointy-eared tree hugger.

<runs and hides, wearing fire-resistant clothing>

Sissyfoo

Fledgling Freddie
I always thought it was named after the pub down the road.

Hercules-DF

Fledgling Freddie
and robin hoods sword!
one of the seven swords of wayland! ALLLLLLLBIOOOOOOOON!

OOOOOOOOOOOODDDDDDDDIN!

and er, hmm, TREE SAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAP!

Chilly

Balls of steel
i joined alb cos...um....it was in the middle? fuck knows it was years ago :D glad i did, mt some class geezers.

Lejemorder

Fledgling Freddie
i started as mid, then moved to alb coz a friend wanted to start there.
some times i still whonder if it was a good choice to move to alb :D
only good thing atm for me is that i play friar and my only chance to get rps is to join the zerg!!

Gualin

Fledgling Freddie
You seem to have gotten my point, good >8)

But how many ppl even heard of Hibernia IRL? if you turn it around hib is prolly underpopulated because of its name >.<

Maybe we should make a thread to encourage beginners to go hib? like they get a certain amount of the leftovers we got from raids >8) sounds like bribing though hehe >8)

Aybabtu

Fledgling Freddie
Fedaykin said:
and Midgard was the place where humans dwelt according to norse mythology it translates as Middle-earth (J.R.R. Tolkiens is more famous though)

Depends on where you are, and if you have read/seen LotR :)

Boobz

Loyal Freddie
boobies.gif

XeffoInfil

Fledgling Freddie
Gualin said:
You seem to have gotten my point, good >8)

But how many ppl even heard of Hibernia IRL? if you turn it around hib is prolly underpopulated because of its name >.<

Maybe we should make a thread to encourage beginners to go hib? like they get a certain amount of the leftovers we got from raids >8) sounds like bribing though hehe >8)

Hibernia is actualyl celtic ireland..or scotland one of the two

Craft

Fledgling Freddie
Hibernia is actualyl celtic ireland..or scotland one of the two

The Celts were originally from teh Emerald isle that is today Ireland ( Northern and Southern ) Alot of the 'Celts' moved in and around england but many stayed in Scotland - Glasgow being a big city with two Football teams Glasgow 'Rangers' and 'Celtic', there is also a football team in Scotland called Hibernian nicknamed the 'Hibs'

More to finish... ;)

Craft

Fledgling Freddie

..Continued :)

From the rolling hills of Camelot to the mountainous peaks of Snowdonia, Albion is through and through the land of Arthur. Forged from his iron will, paid for by the blood of Knights and commoner alike, Albion encompasses the ideals, the laws, and the heritage of its most famous King. The people of Albion are a mostly homogenous lot - sturdy Britons, hulking Highlanders, graceful swift Saracens, the tall intelligent Avalonians, and the small mysterious Inconnu make up the different races in the Realm.

Camelot is actually supposed to be a castle in Wales somewhere, everyone knows about Arthur i guess he was also thought to be known as Arthwyr which would go for him in good stead if indeed he was actually welsh ( poor bastard ) he was also thought to have created the knights of the round table, the table of the knights was made by the order of arthur as he had sat at a previous 'round table' once upon a time.

Britons - Nuff Said, Salt of teh earth
Highlanders - Scotland Highlanders, hence the girly kilts :D
Saracens - If youve seen robin hood prince of thieves think of Morgan Freeman, lol
Avalonians - Mysterious people from the isle of Avalon, supposed resting place of Arthur, not of this realm :p
Inconnu - Secret darker little cretins, gremlins and the like, Arthurarian people used to believe these used to take the bodies of the fallen in battle and take them to the underworld for a afterlife of torture.

If you like it i can write more.. :p

Gualin

Fledgling Freddie
i better go read some history >.< seems i'm the only stupid guy here

<no comments on this >8)>

missedagain

Fledgling Freddie
when i brought the game i tryed all 3 realms mid made me feel cold all that snow brrr,hib i couldnt see the land for the trees
so alb had nice open warm greeny places and thats were i dwell

btw there is some chruch near glastonbury (which incidently has been called the site of avalon cos that hill was once surround by water ) that has or so they claim the grave of arthur
tintagel castle has the round table so they think that was camelot he he
also there is a place in cornwall called camelford which could of been part of the road that went over the moat

there is also a oil platform somewhere around in the deep dark sea called midgard

Renwind

One of Freddy's beloved
The norse legends pwn u, FOR ODIN!!!!!!!!!1!!!!1111

btw u do know that England stole some of their folklore from France and made it their own right ?? ;)
damn stealers :(

Kian

Fledgling Freddie
Craft said:
The Celts were originally from teh Emerald isle that is today Ireland ( Northern and Southern ) Alot of the 'Celts' moved in and around england but many stayed in Scotland - Glasgow being a big city with two Football teams Glasgow 'Rangers' and 'Celtic', there is also a football team in Scotland called Hibernian nicknamed the 'Hibs'

More to finish... ;)

Actually the celts (as an indo-european people) came from a lot further east than that and spread across Europe... the Gauls that Julius Caesar did such a god job of giving a kicking were celts, for example. The 'celtic fringe' of Ireland and Scotland is where the celts ended up after being pushed aside by newcomers like the saxons.

Which leads me to the conclusion that the Highlanders are actually hibbies in skirts and not to be trusted. Note how many of them are to be seen just hanging around at our portal keeps, skulking out of the way rather than fight for the glory of Albion :)

Boobz

Loyal Freddie
"made by the order of arthur as he had sat at a previous 'round table' once upon a time."

Its kinda funny, but i was watching a program about all this a while back.
Firstly, the reason they sat at a round table, is because round tables were VERY common in this era. Secondly, the historians dont think he was called Arthur. There is another king (i forget the name) whos exploits match Arthur quite well, and they believe that he is the guy.
Thirdly, Camelot was not a massive castle, and none of them wore shining plate armor. Camelot was a muddy hill with a town of wooden huts on its top, and "Arthurs" time was long before Plate armor. It is thought that they wore Leather and chain.
The sword was pulled from a stone because swords were forged in a mold made from two large chunks of stone, each with half of the sword mold in it.
It was really funny how many holes they were poking in the story, but kinda disapointing at the same time.+

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom