Age guidance for servers

Would you like some of the servers to have a recommended age attached to them?

• Yes

Votes: 26 70.3%
  • No

Votes: 11 29.7%

• Total voters

Lexa

Fledgling Freddie
Throughout the history of MMORPG's there has always been the kiddy factor, after all games like WAR bring together people of all ages.

I was wondering what peoples thoughts are on setting some servers with a recommended age limit. Let me be clear I'm not suggesting a restriction as I've met some very mature young people in games like these however in the same way as you have designated roleplay servers why not suggest a couple of the servers as being over 21's, anyone of any age would of course still be able to use that server should they choose to.

What are peoples thoughts on this always contentious issue?

I've put a poll here for those that don't choose to comment but still like or dislike the idea.

Oskorei

Fledgling Freddie
I voted yes, as you stated "some of the servers", as a kind of test, I think it's very interresting.

DarkSnaker

Fledgling Freddie
Yes, I would be so happy if this came in... or just a server for old DAoC players, most people who played DAoC can be called mature.

GReaper

Part of the furniture
Sometimes you'll get people over 21 who act like kids and people under 21 who are far more mature than most of the playerbase. What exactly would this solve if it was just a guideline anyway?

Your best bet is to go for an RP server in some way.

Ormorof

FH is my second home
i voted yes as it would be interesting to see if it had any effect... i was 14 when i started DAoC but acted far more maturely than many much older and i know several younger players who dont act like morons, and some older players who do. if you do meet annoying idiots in game just ignore them and move on, with a population as big as WAR has potential to be wont be like on prydwen where everyone knows who everyone is unfortunatly!

Lexa

Fledgling Freddie
Sometimes you'll get people over 21 who act like kids and people under 21 who are far more mature than most of the playerbase. What exactly would this solve if it was just a guideline anyway?

True this idea wouldn't eliminate the problem however you might find it reduces the amount of immature people.

Oskorei

Fledgling Freddie
You don't know if it does or doesn't until you've tried it. Alot of people say drugs are bad, but haven't even tried them. So they can't judge it very well can they? Ok, might be a bad example, but still: as a test, I'd like to see the results.

angrymoon

Fledgling Freddie
As much as it would be nice not to have to watch your language all the time, I could see all the 18yr+ kiddies being more frustrating then the younger players.

Whats worse then a rich 23 year old with no job, who gets to play all day with top of the range equipment rubbing in the fact he "pownt" you..

Amanita

Part of the furniture
Where's the "how the hell would you police it?" option? :p

Xandax

Loyal Freddie
Yes, I would.
Would like to see how it went indeed.
Not because I belong to the "age equal maturity" faction, but the two are more often the not connected anyway.

But for me it is more about "common interests" so to speak, and behaviour patterns. Much of this can be solved by (hopefully) finding a "mature" guild to play with, although some mask as mature, yet still have their fair share of epeen drama and immature behaviour.

rynnor

Rockhound
Where's the "how the hell would you police it?" option? :p

When you create your account you have to put age details - sure some might try to lie but it would make a good starting point for filtering.

Oskorei

Fledgling Freddie
The community itself can police it. You'll notice when you have a 13 year old on TS or vent. And ofcourse, everyone should have a voicecom prog.

Which reminds me, wouldn't it be a good idea to implement voicecom in the game itself? So you can see in groupwindow who is speaking, so you don't need extra room for TS overlay. Ventrilo doesn't even have an overlay...

Lexa

Fledgling Freddie
As I mentioned right at the start there would be no policing, it's not about enforcement but guidance. If a MMO was to enforce such a policy they would essentially be age discriminating.

If you join a roleplay flagged server you can expect most of the people on there to roleplay, you know what you are letting yourself in for when you join. Although there is nothing stopping you joining that server, no restriction.

I am proposing the same kind of flag, but one that says most of the people on this server will be over 21, but join if you want to no matter your age.

There is no way to solve the underlying problem, however I feel this would be a good experiment to run to see the results and so far most of those that have voted seem to agree with me.

IainC

English WAR Community Manager
You want an age limited server because you'd like to play on such a server. Given the choice, so would most people I suspect. Why then would a games company offer it if it meant that the rest of the servers would be harder to fill? It would be like offering 'cool' and 'rubbish' servers, it's a dumb choice to give people because they'd always choose the 'cool' ones.

rynnor

Rockhound
You want an age limited server because you'd like to play on such a server. Given the choice, so would most people I suspect. Why then would a games company offer it if it meant that the rest of the servers would be harder to fill? It would be like offering 'cool' and 'rubbish' servers, it's a dumb choice to give people because they'd always choose the 'cool' ones.

Hmm - thats an odd perspective - if that were true why do companies offer RP and PvP servers - surely everyone would play them because they are 'cooler' ?

Surely that means the other servers are harder to fill - perhaps its to do with offering consumers a choice?

IainC

Hmm - thats an odd perspective - if that were true why do companies offer RP and PvP servers - surely everyone would play them because they are 'cooler' ?

Surely that means the other servers are harder to fill - perhaps its to do with offering consumers a choice?

It's not the same thing at all. Some people don't want to RP, some people prefer PvE over PvP. Those are reasonable choices and aren't at all similar to saying 'do you want to be on a server full of adults or do you want to be on the one with all the 12 year old l33t kiddies?'

rynnor

Rockhound
It's not the same thing at all. Some people don't want to RP, some people prefer PvE over PvP. Those are reasonable choices and aren't at all similar to saying 'do you want to be on a server full of adults or do you want to be on the one with all the 12 year old l33t kiddies?'

I dont think that that actually was the choice - it would be more of a 'mature preferred' server - no-ones going to police it or hunt down any younger people who join :p

Seems odd for a company to shun doing what its customers want? Are you saying it would be too popular?

Something to consider is that - you might get more subscribers and better retention on such servers and thus make more money.

Something to think about eh.

Oskorei

Fledgling Freddie
Would/could it hurt to try? (An actual question, not retorical)

Manisch Depressiv

Part of the furniture
Interesting poll, what rating is Warhammer going to have?

Like I said in some other thread, in the first months after Warhammer gets released you can expect lots of WoW-kid-talk in the public channels. The game doesn't even have to attract the WoW-crowd, WoW is just a popular and some or maybe many will try Warhammer out. If you don't want to read it there will be hopefully an ignore function and guild and alliance chats where you can enforce your own chat policy. I think that should be sufficient.

IainC

Are you saying it would be too popular?
Yes, that is basically the argument I'm making. Given the choice, who wouldn't pick that server type?

Would/could it hurt to try? (An actual question, not retorical)

Because if it was as popular as people think it would be then it would be pointless to offer other types of servers. If there were restricted servers - even if it wasn't enforced - then the non-restricted ones would be seen as 'worse' by most people. Mostly because they'd have a much[/i] higher percentage of younger players on them than would be the case if there were no restricted servers at all and the kids were more evenly spread around. Its great for the people on the restricted servers but not so great for the people on the other ones - who pay the same sub but get a worse experience as a result.

At that point you may as well rate the game as 18+ and have unrestricted servers anyway.

Interesting poll, what rating is Warhammer going to have?
At the moment it's rated at T for teen by the ESRB. The PEGI rating hasn't been assigned yet, final rating is still pending.

angrymoon

Fledgling Freddie
Lets have a 21+ kinky cyber sex server!

Lots of elven mistresses with whips, troll gimps and bondage galore! :wij:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom