After-Life

- English -

Resident Freddy
Ok this could become a very weird topic... but recently ive been thinking about it. Ive been trying to imagine what it would be like if you were not here... and nothing existed. If the world didnt exist..what happens? I mean it would be a blank space and i think its just impossible to imagine :X

Its really hard to describe what I mean.. anyone understand me?

Aile

Fledgling Freddie
willis.jpg

Aile

Fledgling Freddie
I'd like to believe in reincarination, but I reckon its just gunna be nothing ;)

- English -

Resident Freddy
exactly... imagine what that nothing would be like... its just impossible!

i hope to be reborn in another universe in space somewere :x

noblok

Part of the furniture
You can't think what 'nothing' is, as that would mean nothing is something, namely what you're thinking when you think what 'nothing' is. The strange thing is that in realising that we can't know what 'nothing' is, we understand what it is.

(This is basically Levinas' thoughts on God applied to the concept of 'nothing'. According to Levinas we can't know what God is, as he's absolutely transcendental, but in realising this, we understand what He is. I use the English know/understand to translate the French comprendre/entendre.)

Ezteq

Queen of OT
well look on the bright side if it is nothing and you just go *poof* and stop existing then youll not know anything about it, if its nothing but your soul does still exist then i guess youll be a bit "wtf?? Oo ..erm.." and bored.

dunno what it'd be like if there was nothing or nobody and if thats the case then im not really interested because it all sounds a bit dull.

im too busy worrying about whats going to happen to me whilst im alive to worry about me when im dead lol.

Huntingtons

Resident Freddy
if you go to nothing you're assuming you have an after-life presence. but if you're talking about the universe not exsisting thats a different story

crispy

Can't get enough of FH
Aile said:
I'd like to believe in reincarination, but I reckon its just gunna be nothing ;)
I don't like that though.. Mainly because id be reincarnated as a frog or slug like the rest of you :D

It's karma baby!

psyco

Fledgling Freddie
ive often thought about this, but its pointless, you wont be able to remember, anyone who claims to know just gets called a nutter

the human race should give up on cosmo thought, and just worry about what there going to have for dinner instead

Marc

FH is my second home
If i get reincarnated, I want to come back as a cat. All they do is sleep and eat.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Marc said:
If i get reincarnated, I want to come back as a cat. All they do is sleep and eat.

How do you know that for sure though?

Maybe they are in constant pain as they must concentrate on the world so it keeps spinning :D

pip

Banned
- English - said:
Ok this could become a very weird topic... but recently ive been thinking about it. Ive been trying to imagine what it would be like if you were not here... and nothing existed. If the world didnt exist..what happens? I mean it would be a blank space and i think its just impossible to imagine :X

What was it like before you was born will it matter?

Zenith

Part of the furniture
- English - said:

If the "world"(I guess you mean the planet Earth) the universe would most likely just move on like if we would be here. We are just one planet in one solar system, of an maybe uncountable amount. We wouldnt be here, and maybe not our world, but the universe wouldnt be different :)

Dahakon

Fledgling Freddie
old.Tohtori said:
How do you know that for sure though?

Maybe they are in constant pain as they must concentrate on the world so it keeps spinning :D

Good point, how do we know that other animals arn't in as much emotional torment as humand are? we just can't see the signs because we don't know what to look for, or we think its natural.

More on topic, we become ghosts, and then get reincarnated when we are ready. =)

I got a followup question. Was some ancient greek philosofer who pressumably was the first one to coin the term "atom" and use it in it's modern meaning.

We all know our bodies are made out of atoms, who they in turn are made of something smaller, may it it be strings or whatever other unproven theory you fancy, the question is...here it comes:

What are our souls made of? If we are made of atoms, and materia shouldn't that mean, or reasonably mean our "essence" is made out of the same aswell? And shouldn't that be measureable? :worthy:

Thorwyn

FH is my second home
You will find lots of "scientists" who claim that you can measure a certain loss of weight when a person dies (i.e. the person in question typed /rel and the soul departs).
Also, your questions are lacking a fundamental basic and that´s the definition of soul. What is it? Your concience? Your memories? Your mind? Take a look at people with damaged brains (by accidents or something) and you´ll see that you can destroy all of the possible aspects of soul by just destryoing certain parts of the brain.
Get me right here, I`m not saying that a soul doesn´t exist and that there IS nothing after death. I simply don´t know. But the facts aren´t looking too positive. :)

I`ve read an amazingly good but slightly scary book on this a couple months ago. If you have the chance, read it. Very good read.

mikke

Can't get enough of FH
Im hoping for reincarnation, else id be bored in the big space of nothing :D

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
Life after death : See Jade Goody's career

Question: Do you get paid overtime in the afterlife, cos if not that's sure gonna suck being on basic rate for all eternity

Naetha

Fledgling Freddie
Personally, although I'd love to believe in an afterlife and a soul, scientifically it just doesn't fit. In the same way that I'd like to believe in a god, but scientifically I just can't get it to add up.

I think what we consider to be us - the collection of atoms and energy pulses that produce conscious thought, will just cease to work together and we will cease to exist. It will be the same as before we existed - we will be nothing.

Whatever the definition of life is, I think it is corporeally bound.

Incidentally, Richard Dawkins - The God Delusion is an excellent excellent book :D

Bugz

Fledgling Freddie
I've always believed that when we die, we become part of the earth. The concept it a lot like the FF7 storyline where people become part of the lifestream.

tris-

Failed Geordie and Parmothief
Lamp said:
Question: Do you get paid overtime in the afterlife, cos if not that's sure gonna suck being on basic rate for all eternity

must be some kind of upper management office joke.

lamp is one crazy son of a bitch

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
How can't you believe in afterlife, someone had to do SOMETHING really good in their past life to become Kevin Federline and still manage to be rich.

Serbitar

Fledgling Freddie
Marc said:

not true.

cats are constantly plotting to take over the earth. its only the fact that they don't have opposable thumbs that has stopped them so far.

Mojo

Fledgling Freddie
- English - said:

I know what u mean, ceasing to exist is an odd thought, it will be like sleeping but without the dreams........or the waking up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom