Advice please : UPS power system

itcheh

Part of the furniture
I NEED YOUR HELP GUYS!

Got in this morning to find our Smart-UPS 700 (from APC) was emitting a high pitched whine - and from the LED's on the front it was basically saying that it had overloaded and there wasn't a great deal of power left in the unit.

So - quickly moved the server plug sockets onto strip oplug and got them up and running again ... but this is only short term - I need to get the UPS working again.

PROBLEM - I am not the IT guy - I'm the web guy - but because I have 'knowledge' of computers beyond that of the average office resident I'm covering for him while he's in NZ for 4 weeks.

QUESTION - should I just go out and buy a replacment battery for the SMart-UPS 700? If so can anyone tell me where to buy one in central London?

Should I just get a new UPS unit? SHould I get an exact replacement (if so where as above) or should I just nip down to PC world and get a cheap temporary UPS until the IT swans back from holiday?

RedVenom

Banned
Email your IT guy, or phone him on his mobile.

He'll appreciate being called during his break - its true. I love being contacted by work when I'm on holiday!

]SK[

One of Freddy's beloved
Make me a website and ill thee :)
If theres only one device pluged into the UPS does it still state overloaded?

And yeah I love being called by my office and customers who have been given my number when people know full well im on holiday.

itcheh

Part of the furniture
IT guy is in NZ with mobile off ... contacting him is not an option :(

Mr.Monkey

Fledgling Freddie
Best option if you are in a panic is to check if there is any warrenty on the UPS, either manufacturers, or if your company has a some warrenty with a repair guy.
If you can't find that out, contact the manufacturer to see if this is a common problem, there may be a FAQ.

Failing that, replacing it is better than trying to repair it yourself.

Hope this helps some.

itcheh

Part of the furniture
I took the safe route and went out and bought a cheap replacement to last the next couple of weeks until the IT is back - everything is plugged back in and working fine- thanks guys!

WPKenny

Resident Freddy
itcheh said:
I took the safe route and went out and bought a cheap replacement to last the next couple of weeks until the IT is back - everything is plugged back in and working fine- thanks guys!

You didn't phone APC for a free replacement (assuming it was under warranty)?

itcheh

Part of the furniture
I don't know where he keeps any of that info Kenny (if he keeps it at all) - and I can't be sure that the battery is the problem either.

All I know is that I've sorted it and everything is working - if he wants to call APC when he gets back that's up to him :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom