Advice - meeting the in-laws for the first time

1tchy trigger

Got to be quick people - I'm leaving the office at 2pm to fly to Belfast and meet my girlfriend's parents for the first time ... and no doubt be taken down the bottom of the garden and shot by her dad!

Any last minute advice you can give me!?!?

D

Damini

A man can't see, he can't fight.

Other than that, my parent's hated my ex because he never made eye contact with them. That and the fact he spoke Klingon when angry. Try to avoid these things.

S

(Shovel)

Make sure you know what conversation topics *not* to talk about.

B

Brynn

Be yourself. Be funny ... not too funny. Make them like you .... not too much.

How long u 2 been going out before i give you any more advice :p

L

L_Plates

Itchy i remember the days you was flirting with a bird in the USA !!

You get about you ho !

Also when did you get wed m8?

I

Insane

Originally posted by 1tchy trigger
Got to be quick people - I'm leaving the office at 2pm to fly to Belfast and meet my girlfriend's parents for the first time ... and no doubt be taken down the bottom of the garden and shot by her dad!

Any last minute advice you can give me!?!?

when in belfast, do what the locals do.

go to the pub and drink :D

Sar, GDW and many other peeps on this board from belfast can vouch for it :)

dont offer an english answer to any irish problems, its like trying to stick a square block through the circular hole.
(that came from my work colleague here whos playing games :eek: )

oh and dont be worried about the garden, be more worried if you end up visiting a secluded wood with a car load of people in black wooly hats :eek6:

oh and its normal to walk past an armed army patrol in belfast weekday evenings around 5pm :D and avoid North Street in belfast, too many trouble makers work there...

wait, I work there :eek7:

K

kameleon

And if a black cab full of people stops and offers you a ride dont worry its like the local bus service

D

dysfunction

If you stay clear of the following topics then you will be fine:

1) Politics
2) Religion
3) Sex

L

L_Plates

Originally posted by dysfunction
If you stay clear of the following topics then you will be fine:

1) Politics
2) Religion
3) Sex

IE: Say fuck all :)

C

Chameleon

In every meeting of this type in the past I've always been told afterwards that confidently offering a firm handshake to the father went down very well. Maybe obvious, but sometimes forgotten when under stress ;)
Oh and appear to be very generous, even if your not :)

C

caLLous

You look down, they know you're lying and up, they know you don't know the truth. Don't use seven words when four will do. Don't shift your weight, look always at your mark but don't stare, be specific but not memorable, be funny but don't make him laugh. He's got to like you then forget you the moment you've left his side. And for God's sake, whatever you do, don't, under any circumstances....

T

throdgrain

Originally posted by caLLous
You look down, they know you're lying and up, they know you don't know the truth. Don't use seven words when four will do. Don't shift your weight, look always at your mark but don't stare, be specific but not memorable, be funny but don't make him laugh. He's got to like you then forget you the moment you've left his side. And for God's sake, whatever you do, don't, under any circumstances....

I saw this film on saturday, very boring I thought :(

T

Trem

Omg this is so funny:D

I make awful, awful first impressions, I think Samms mum still hates me. I talked about my pooh the first time I met them, you have to get a feel for their sense of humour. I mean don't go talking about the positions you do with their daughter or owt like that.

In all seriousness though, you are a top bloke, don't worry about it, if they don't like you then its their loss.

T

Testin da Cable

mums tend to love me, dads tend to hate me. doesn't everyone have that?

S

SoWat

'tis true.

Mums tend to think along the lines of how nice you'll be to their daughter.... Dads can only focus on the fact you're porking their little girl.

L

L_Plates

Originally posted by Testin da Cable

I never asked as i dont give a shit what they think.

S

(Shovel)

Originally posted by Testin da Cable

No :p To best of my information dr_jo's parents both think I'm nice.

Um, so nerrrr! :D

1tchy trigger

Well I'm still alive!

The weekend was actually a lot of fun - after my initial terror had died away. I was on my very best behaviour - I even didn't swear during the rugby wc final (although I called Thompson 'a lump' at one point) - anyone who knows me will vouch for my potty mouth so this was a major achievement.

Overall I'm sure they liked me - the gran loved me although she was soon talking about using lasers on riot crowds instead of rubber bullets so I'm not sure whether her opinion counts.

P.s. Plates - not married mate - was using the phrase 'inlaws' in a very loose sense of the word. USA bird was ditched last April.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom