Rant Adventures at the Co-op part 2

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Soze, security guards are a deterrent to theft, they have no real powers. Shops use them only if they feel that there is a danger to staff and this would minimise it, or if the cost of a guard is less than the loss caused by shrinkage.

And yet I've seen shop security rugby tackle shoplifters in the past (once in an M&S in Manchester and once in a shopping mall somewhere - but it was definitely outside the store).

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
I've seen mums give their kids something to eat off the shelf then present the empty wrapper at the checkout. Isn't that technically theft?

Consumption is theft technically, however if they've made the effort to pay, then who cares?

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
And yet I've seen shop security rugby tackle shoplifters in the past (once in an M&S in Manchester and once in a shopping mall somewhere - but it was definitely outside the store).

Yes, and I've seen it myself, and been involved in chasing shoplifters.

However it's always been when we are sure they've nicked something. It's a fine line though, what happens if you injure the shoplifter and they they shout assault? Police will generally turn a blind eye if they find stolen goods.

They aren't insured to do anything outside of the store however, so those guards are doing it off their own backs, and actually they are putting their own jobs at risk.

soze

I am a FH squatter
One of the forums I just looked at had a guy who while working for Tesco was told to mute the alarm and to check the bag if they present it to you. Do not give chase if they do not stop. And it seems like most of his job was making a note of the staff who had forgot to remove security tags presumably so they can get a bollocking.

Jeros

Part of the furniture
Well I did not actully buy anything, I just nipped in to see if the product I wanted was in, I shop there pretty much 3-4 times a week as its next to my flat pretty much. I walked right past the waters and never stopped so there was little time for me to have taken anything.

The bottle was clearly visible as I walked in as it was not covered with my shirt and stuck out of my ass pocket a lot, the shape of it clearly showed it was not a brand that they stocked in that size. They tried to take it off me and said "just go", but after some looking at the receipt I showed them they decided to let me go. Lol. Even if I had no receipt the CCTV would have backed me up.

Oh well, still going to go there, I like co-op products and its the only one near me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom