ADSL

M

musclebabe

I'm thinking of getting ADSL, and my question is (wait for it), is it any good ? Which ISP would people recommend ? I'm not made of money, so I'd like it to be as cheap as possible.

Ta

E

Embattle

Nobody really knows since nobody actually has it yet, or very few people have started getting it. You'll have to wait a little while and see what other people think of it.

G

If you can't wait the only way to tell at the moment is by the contention ratio. According to a report on http://www.ispreview.co.uk, BT OpenWorld is having a standard contention of 80:1 which would make it the worst one I've seen so far.

Most ISPs are offering 50:1, though if you pay extra ISPs like Claranet and (i think) Nildram will give a 20:1 ratio.

O

old.Comatosed

standard contention of 80:1 which would make it the worst one I've seen so far

Apparently this is the contention rate between your exchange and the isp, in which case it may not be as bad as everyone initially suspected.

Then again....

O

old.FingerMagnet

Do Barrysworld have any plans to offer an ADSL package?

K

kameleon

Originally posted by Speccy
BT OpenWorld is having a standard contention of 80:1 which would make it the worst one I've seen so far.

Most ISPs are offering 50:1, though if you pay extra ISPs like Claranet and (i think) Nildram will give a 20:1 ratio.

BT's standard contention ratio is 20:1, and despite malicious rumour mongoring , was always going to be 20:1.

available download bandwidth (subject to the ratio will be 500kbits/sec upload will be 256kbits/sec

T

Testin da Cable

thinking of getting ADSL too folks. it will bite though: I'm on cable now and the package I'd want [ie to get the most out of the deal] is lots more than the price I pay now.

fyi:

cable 89 cable internet [guilders]
50 cable company
139 total ~45pounds [more or less]

ADSL 175 ADSL connection
40 phoneline
30 ISP
245 total ~80pounds

I wonder if it's worth it. 80 quid seems sort of hefty. :(

-tdc

O

old.Ghode

has any1 checked out http://www.homechoice.co.uk it is offering london adsl for 20 quid a month but its only 11k upload speed. tho i ave been told this maybe increased for the same price. also i am not sure if there is also a ratio on this as well.

O

old.Nouri

So that's what the catch is! That's a total waste of time, because upload is just as important for ol gaming as download. Although 11k sounds like an odd number, are you sure that's right? It might be worth it if it were 128k ul and 512k dl.

I never bothered phoning them up to ask, but I knew 20 quid was too good to be true.

I don't know how you get £80 for ADSL. AFAIK, it should be 150 installation and "just" 40 per month line rental. You don't need an ISP because it's a dedicated internet connection and you get 24/7 unmetered access.

T

Testin da Cable

aha well let me explain:

the evil dutch telecom company called PTT [very much in the same league of tossers as BT be assured] have struck a deal wiv several ISP's that _they_ are the only ones who'll accept ADSL dialin. Ie. if you've got it but have no dialin account with an ISP then you're fscked. ADSL isn't a direct connex to the www, It's a high bandwidth link to some heavy duty telecom thingy that will then route you further.

Basicly most of the above means that in holland you will need 1.a phone line,2.ADSL setup and 3.dialin at one of the 4 or 5 ISP's that'll accept ADSL.

[pant, pant all that ranting is making me itch]

As for me, well I'm double fscked cos I don't use the PTT sh*t in the first place. I'm on cable: watch tv via cable, internet via cable, telephone via cable etc. etc. therefore it's going to cost me a silly amount of cash just to get ADSL.
I've written to the cable company asking them what they plan to do about the ADSL 'threat' ie will they give out more bandwidth without changing the rates. Up till now I've had no response.:(

-tdc

O

old.Nouri

Ah, yes. My understanding is that when you get ADSL from BT, BT are the ISP too so it appears as though you don't need one. From what I can tell, the problem is that no-one else can be an ISP for ADSL, so BT can charge what they want for a crap service.

T

Testin da Cable

exactly.

we're all in the same crock of sh*t I guess. :(:(:(

-tdc

O

old.Ghode

damn damn damn my typos!!1
its 115k download!! not sure what the upload is. as i said it might be upgraded to 512k in jan/feb. sorry damn typo.

T

throdgrain

I rang home choice today,seems its only for london.As I live about 10 miles out Im not getting it.
I rang BT yesterday , they have a bloke who's employed to say"I dont know" to every question you ask him....when can I have ADSL? "I dont know" have I registered for adsl? "I dont know" and so on and so on....seems like these days low ping is the norm rather than the exception....maybe home highway aint so dear after all....
throd

T

Testin da Cable

chello, my cable ISP, has someone employed to ask for your postal-code. same deal hehe.

ooohh I saw on tv they were getting 30.000 complaints a month [seriously] BWAHAHAHA what a bunch of losers :p:p:p

-tdc

O

old.Nouri

Well Home Choice is probably a waste of time then. The trouble is that you need to be able to test it to see if the bandwidth they give you is enough, but the minimum contract is usually a year!

I got the same "I don't know" sh1t from Cable & Wireless when I was asking about cable/digital TV and cable modems. If these companies can't take the time and effort to educate their sales staff, then they're not getting my money.

Looks like I'll be sticking with analogue modem for the time being. :(

S

shabazz

I don't see BT being that bad for ADSL in terms of speed that is. I use the 0800 weeknights and weekends thingy and i get great pings everywhere. Usually around 60 on barrys, higher in busy periods, natch.

As for the connection ratio i'm not sure, everybody seems to have a different idea to what it will be. I heard that business was 20:1 and home was 50:1.

O

old.ypnos

Well, I got ADSL and it's F***ING BRILLIANT!

pings, been as low as 10 or as high as 50.

dl speeds around 70-90k.

The plot is that if you pre-registered before June 30th you get the £150 installation fee waived (which is what I did) and then £40 per month + line rental for your BT line (which you pay anyway).

Otherwise, you pay the installation.

In both cases they GIVE you the USB modem, and change your phone socket to have an ADSL socket and one phone socket.

I'd recommend it, but wouldn't put it above cable...maybe side-by-side :)

What makes the difference is that it heavily depends on how far away (in km) you are from the exchange, I'm about 1 - 1.2km from the exchange, which explains the speeds, some may get worse if they live farther away (maximum being 3.4km)
-Ypnos

T

Testin da Cable

coo m8 :)

what would your total cost be per month [if you don't mind me asking]?

just trying to get everything worked out you know.

-tdc

T

throdgrain

can anyone tell me if i can get one of these "blue yonder" cable modems?and if so where?i dont live in a telewest area (eurobell-shit)but maybe i can get one before i get adsl(if ever...)

O

old.Yao

A question for anyone who has managed to get BT Openworld and NTL Cable Modem users:

Is there a minimal rental period?

I can't get Cable modem until next year and BT haven't contacted me yet, but I don't intend on staying where I am for more than a year.

Cheers,

Yao

O

old.[RaveN]DaGoD

Bad news from what I hear (or read) in PCGamer it's not going to be very good for gaming but then again PCG aren't a very good mag from what I saw people are getting pings of 30 on Q3A so who do we believe??

O

old.brock landers

min. contract on blue yonder is 12 months, but, throdgrain, u cant get it in any other areas im afraid
i ping sub 40 to most uk servers, at anytime no matter how busy.
can download at 50+kbps too on decent servers
vnice indeed costs only £33 a month too(less than me old phone bills)
they releasin 1mbps connects for £50 soon

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom