ADSL Migration in UK

Brite

Banned
Anyone know any information about ADSL migration in UK, finally had it with my ISP, heavy packet loss on the line at random times and random disconnects at all hours

Whats the downtime like?

Cost is about 20-30 pounds i think,

Just want to know what the downtime im likely to expect really

Also any ISP recommendations was thinking about going with firefly as they seem to have a lot of good reviews even though its probabaly a load of people that work there doing it ;P

Cheers

Chronictank

FH is my second home
if you have a BT line, most ISP's will pay the switching cost for you
phone around and get the best deal

Brite

Banned
tbh i dont care if i pay for it, i just want a good reliable isp that doesnt cut me off or give major lag spikes and packet loss, im not sure if its even the isp it might be bt messing up the line but i cant just stay with the isp it beens like with for 12 months but ive not been at home to use it until now

Alan

Fledgling Freddie
heard loads of good things from PlusNet, may move to them myself - im with Nildram at the moment, connection is excelent but at a price.

check out dslguide.org for info and comparison of ADSL providors in the uk

Darksword

Can't get enough of FH
Brite said:
tbh i dont care if i pay for it, i just want a good reliable isp that doesnt cut me off or give major lag spikes and packet loss, im not sure if its even the isp it might be bt messing up the line but i cant just stay with the isp it beens like with for 12 months but ive not been at home to use it until now

im with onetel and tbh there pretty good (least imo)

only had 1-2 problems with them, sometimes when im downloading heavily my internet explorer screws up, but thats probably my comp or is that packet loss? i dunno.

only other issue is there support sucked once and i had to find it myself (was a pretty amature problem so they probably didnt expect that to be wrong (my computer was set to disconected on the net, all i had to do was tell it to fucking connect but they didnt mention that which i feel was a bit stupid but it was easy enough to fix and i think that was just my comps fault tbh).

Vireb

Fledgling Freddie
i have used pipex www.pipex.net for 3 years or so now, using 2mb unlimited atm , excellent service, advanced warning of any maintenance or downtime for whatever reason and reasonably priced, highly reccomended

Kami

Can't get enough of FH
www.nildram.net

been with them for 7 years, never had a need to move and they're upgrading all customers to 2meg lines shortly and we're paying LESS than we pay now for a 1meg lol. Regularly top the adslguide.org list for speed and customer satisfaction.

Silverbirch

Fledgling Freddie
moved from BT to f2s (freedom to surf) a few months ago. Downtime was about 1 hour, and there was no cost to migrate.

f2s

Chronictank

FH is my second home
Darksword said:
im with onetel and tbh there pretty good (least imo)

only had 1-2 problems with them, sometimes when im downloading heavily my internet explorer screws up, but thats probably my comp or is that packet loss? i dunno.

only other issue is there support sucked once and i had to find it myself (was a pretty amature problem so they probably didnt expect that to be wrong (my computer was set to disconected on the net, all i had to do was tell it to fucking connect but they didnt mention that which i feel was a bit stupid but it was easy enough to fix and i think that was just my comps fault tbh).
no no no no
dont get onetel unless hell is freezing over or the world is ending
had them for a month and gave up trying to resolve problems with their bad support and switched ISP

Kami said:
www.nildram.net

been with them for 7 years, never had a need to move and they're upgrading all customers to 2meg lines shortly and we're paying LESS than we pay now for a 1meg lol. Regularly top the adslguide.org list for speed and customer satisfaction.
Plusnet are doing the same

I'm on plusnet atm have no complaints, only had a problem when i first joined which was down to my Windows XP not having SP1 installed they were very helpful and it was resolved in about 10 mins talking to them and 2 hrs on the dial up number they gave me to download SP1 (offered to have the cd delivered but i was impatient :p).
Fast reliable service :)

Accupuncture

Fledgling Freddie
Hi Brite

Depends on the type of connection you want, cheap and cherfull (laggy) or more dependable and less contention ratio.

THe problem with most of the adsl's that are being sold in bulk to home users ie: the so called new 2meg upgrade is that the contention ratio is so high that you will get some service degradation.

If you go for a more expencive lower contention ratio connection your service will be a lot better.

As for downtime there should be very little the migration takes, usually 5 working days. The only downtime you will get is the switch for bt to reroute to your new isp domain name on there radius server and all the have to do is edit a txt file with the new routing information :)

PM me and ill give you details of the company I work for and im sure we will be able to supply you with the above.

We are more a business contectivity/hosting ISP so all our clients need quality and a connection that is reliable and has no restrictions as to usage/bandwith. Well as reliable as any BT product, which all adsl's are.

Regards
David

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom