ADSL Line Negotiation

L

leggy

Righty ho.

After losing my beloved cable connection due to relocation I have had to share a single 512k dsl line with 1 other person.

So here's the thing: I bought a nice Netgear dsl router with built in modem to share the connetion. At first glance everything seems to be hunky dory. Pings are lower, no cutouts etc.

Then i started playing a couple of MP games. As soon as my flat mate opens his web browser or downloads anything for that matter my ping rockets, my connection chokes and i start lagging around the screen like a CSer on a 56k modem.

This never happened when i shared my cable connection which had the same download bandwidth and half the upload bandwidth.

So i'm not sure what to do. I thought about getting a proggy to throttle the bandwidth on each pc so that one doesn't try to hog the whole pipe. Other than that i'm not sure how to solve it.

If any of you can help i'd really appreciate it. I would also appreciate it if you didn't tell me to get a linux/BSD box and run it as a router ... pretty please as this just isn't going to happen atm.

Thanks in advance.

Legz0r

D

domin8or

get yourself a 1.100 bps modem. It's fast, it's stable and it has massive download rate!

U

[UKLans]Khan

I had the same prob when I had ADSL, there is a free proxy server that supports bandith throttling but I can't find a link for it at the moment, you could run that and throttle the other user.

I'll try to find it.

Khan

T

Testin da Cable

but that will involve putting a poota with that proxy between the two pc's and the router. Leggy, it seems your router is trying to cater fully to both your needs at once.
I'd advise checking if there's any new modem firmware or something like that which may solve your issue. try googling for <modem type, problems> and stuff. good luck!

L

leggy

I've recently upgraded the firmware in an attempt to solve this. No Joy.

I'll googlise the problem.

W

Will

I have a Netgear router at home, and I've never had this problem. I can have someone backing up files to offsite storage at 5k/sec up, 25k/sec down, run IRC, my bot, and play any game without noticing.

I'll have a look when I get home from work, if you want.

K

*Kornholio*

I shared an adsl line between 2 pc's just using windows ICS - no problems at all... perhaps dump the router ?

F

Furr

Same i just use bog standards XP ICS and that works fine

T

Trem

Ask Lester to get you a dodgy/stolen router off a BT bloke, like he did:eek:

L

leggy

ICS is shit though and the original dsl modem is cack and increases pings by about 20

W

Will

Leggy, I'm lost as to why you are having this problem. Its nothing to do with the router settings, especially if you've flashed it to the latest firmware.

K

*Kornholio*

Originally posted by leggy
ICS is shit though

What's shit about it ? I still use it now & rarely ping above 20... even when the other pc is being used for surfing / irc etc...

L

leggy

Ok put it this way... both PCs have loud fans and I can't sleep with them on all the time :)

plus i'm soon to be adding another 1 or 2 comps to the setup and I cba doing it with ICS. Far easier using my router.

I'm going to test another operating system. I've heard evil things about the one i'm using.

Users who are viewing this thread