ADSL help

T

toon_town

Hi,

I'm going to be moving into a student house soon and we all want to have internet access (ADSL). There are 5 of us so basically what do we do?

The house is alread networked (unless the gits already there take that with them too) but they're taking everything else.

What equipment will we need? Am I right in thinking network cards in each PC, an ADSL modem and a router for 5 people is correct? Is it likely to be an arse to setup or will my basic networking knowledge (LANs etc) be enough? Any advice on models to get etc would be appreciated.

I was looking at using Zen.

Cheers for any advice.

C

Custodian

You can get a combined modem/router/switch, which will save some boxes. Most of the ones I have seen are 4 port but there must be some with more on.
ADSLGuide has some hardware reviews of various boxes.

D

danger

If you can set up a basic lan all you have to do is set the router IP address as the gateway for each computer (will be in tcp/ip settings for your NIC)... ensure each computer is assigned an IP address within the routers subnet range and you're laughing :) The rest will be set up in your router configuration, the manual will give you precise instructions for that. You'll obviously have to use NAT (will make hosting servers difficult etc without setting up port forwarding but if more than one of you want to host an FTP / Web server you'll need a static IP for each machine)

If you've got 5 computers I'd get a combined router/modem and buy a seperate 8-port switch / hub.

Users who are viewing this thread