ADSL and synchronisation woes

S

Summo

Hmm... My ADSL has stopped working. No changes made, but at about 2-3pm today Internet access slowed down. This evening there's no connection at all.

I have an Alcatel SpeedTouch USB using the latest drivers (v1.6, which I've reinstalled, btw). The USB light is solid green but the ADSL light flashes green nince times, red once, green nine times and so on. The manual says this means the device is unable to achieve synchronisation on the ADSL line.

I've reported this to Nildram, my ISP, but I was wondering if anyone knew of a shortcut. Is this something I should approach BT about? Has anybody had this problem before and found a solution?

Thanks, peeps.

N

NaveT

Nothing BT will do. You ISP should be the only point of contact. Did your ISP not say there was a problem?

S

S-Gray

Been there, done that, Got the T Shirt.

Means the Servers down

/Edit

Think i better add more to this

Your just gonna have to wait, may take a few hours for it to be fixed (The server)

Everytime the servers gone down for me, it was 6hours +

S

Summo

Good idea. ;)

Thanks, SG though I doubt this is a server failure. The lack of synchronisation smacks of a problem at the exchange to me, but this has never happened to me before so I'm just guessing.

S

Summo

:(

Got this reply from the ADSL Guide forums:
Nildram will report it to BT - who will then look at it, basic turn around time is 48 hours.

Try unplugging the modem for an hour or two then plug it back into the phone line, might be lucky and get a line card port reset.
Bah! No DoD beta 3.0 for me tonight. :(

S

Summo

Hurrah! It's back! Not sure if its something they did at their end (at 1:30am? I doubt it) but I unplugged the modem from the wall for a couple of hours, then plugged it back in, reconnected modem to USB port and there it is!

Sorted. :)

S

S-Gray

they just say Unplug the Modem to make you do something instead of twiddling your thumbs.. everyone knows its got sod all to do with the modem ;)

S

s-p*

Originally posted by Summo
Hurrah! It's back! Not sure if its something they did at their end (at 1:30am? I doubt it) but I unplugged the modem from the wall for a couple of hours, then plugged it back in, reconnected modem to USB port and there it is!

Sorted. :)

Its always a good idea to try removing the modem for a couple of hours. It allows the card at the exchange to be reset and normally sorts the problem out. Not all the time, but sometimes.

S

Summo

Yeah, I think that's what did it, just as the ADSL Guide person and your good self have said. Something to remember for the future. :)

C

caLLous

You're lucky. We had a thunderstorm here about 6 weeks ago and my speedtouch was killed by a powersurge (we assume). What with Zen only being open mon-fri 9-5 (it happened at 4:30pm on a friday, always the way :( ) and BT's utter, utter incompetence, it took 5 days to fix. Wasn't up and working until a BT engineer came with a new modem on the Wednesday morning. That was one helluva lot of thumb-twiddling. :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom