Actual populations

Miniman

Fledgling Freddie
I just started and before that tried to find out where the popular servers where (fearing that Euro servers would be full of non English speaking players). Only clue I've seen so far is a note saying Light/Medium/Heavy. Any idea how you can check actual player numbers?

For example Chimeara said medium, yet after a few days of playing I can wander around for ages and see no one (wrong planet/city perhaps?).

Kinag

Part of the furniture
heh, I'm annoyed all the time due to the people speaking german in the group channel. You can't tell them to stop neither as they are european and the server is a european server.

Chimaera got a very nice community though, that's what I would choose.

Good Luck mate.

ki'ap

Fledgling Freddie
population density is really based on where you are. For example the area between Bestine and Wayfar on chimaera is always packed with poeple, being 3 player cities there. While if you were to travel to say, Mos Espa its very quiet.

On the other hand the back water planets [Lok, Endor, Yavin etc] as soon as you leave the outpost its very unlikly that you will see another person/group before you return to the outpost. Its quiet like the real world, cities are always busy, but once you get off the main roads and away from the cities theres relativly few people about.

-Ki

Miniman

Fledgling Freddie
Sorry - first line should read - I just started on Chimaera - so I'm already there.

I'm on Talus at the moment, but it just seems to be that the servers could support a lot more players than they are at the moment (perhaps the back end processing/physical computing power is too great to have that many people on one server?).

Just want to know if anyone could say Chimaera has 1000 people on it - or 10000 (with certainty).

Tenko

Fledgling Freddie
I've not seen any actual figures for any servers anywhere, but from my experience from DAoC I'd guess at around 3-5k peeps on Chimaera at peak time.

A total guess but let me say why I think so (unless otherwise stated the figures are primetime)

The player density around the busiest starports like Bestine and Anchorhead, easily 30+
Quiet cities, starter cities a good dozen players
Outback planet cities, a small handful unless a party is coming through.
A new server a month after Euro release

In all, I'm seeing slightly higher figures than I'd see from comparable areas in DAoC from a game that is of similiar geographical size (all realms). So with a similiar set up to GOA I'd say they maxed Chimarea at whatever level they consider to be the max (remembering there doesnt appear to be an actual hard cap). Thats what? best guess is what I said above, 3-5k online at peak.

But this is all FUZZY stats, the best kind! :p

Jonaldo

Can't get enough of FH
Visit Coronet starport and tell me no-one is online :) My pc slows to about 3 frames per hour every time I accidentally go near it :)

Stay Beautiful

Fledgling Freddie
Jonaldo said:
Visit Coronet starport and tell me no-one is online :) My pc slows to about 3 frames per hour every time I accidentally go near it :)

Took me about 20 minutes to find the brawler trainer due to lag there, couldn't even turn around properly, let alone walk in a straight line :(

Marc

FH is my second home
Somebody was saying in Anchorhead the othe day that SOE are upgrading the servers to tackle this problem, but surely its not a server problem? Just a problem for those with low spec computers?

Nightchill

Can't get enough of FH
Ever tried using the Bazaar at AH or Coronet? I'd say it's just as much a server problem :)

Lam

Fledgling Freddie
I think Sony overestimated their server capacity a bit in the beginning.

In large towns I always have a lot of lag but as soon as I leave the city my framerate always returns to normal and I'm playing with all details at maximum so a server upgrade would be nice.

Kinag

Part of the furniture
I woldn't mind a new server tbh, Corellia/Coronet is the worst place I can be, still it's the place I spend my time xp'ing :p

I run on the lowest graphic settings and I lagg like hell in there, fps all from 0 - 3 . Leaving the City helps alot for me too.

Pogel

Fledgling Freddie
The frame rate problems in places like Coronet can be alleviated with lots of RAM and turning a few graphics options down. Get 1 Gb RAM and you won't regret it. The vendor delays in busy places do look to be a server issue, though. Its best to do shopping elsewhere, imo.

I really doubt they'll be upgrading the hardware any time soon. The games only been running for a few months and I doubt a slight boost in the hardware will make a significant difference. I'm sure there are still a few bottlenecks in the code that, if sorted, would make more of a difference than a hardware upgrade.

pig

Fledgling Freddie
Kinag said:
I run on the lowest graphic settings and I lagg like hell in there, fps all from 0 - 3 . Leaving the City helps alot for me too.

try typing /flushg fullreset

tends to make you freeze for a few seconds but helps me alot when i do it before PVP around bestine / anchorhead

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom