Advice ACER 8930G Overheating issues

Punishment

Resident Freddy
Basically i bought an ACER 8930G laptop afew years ago and it has served me well.

Came with 4GB memory a tiny 320gb HD and a decent processor/graphics card for the time.

It's more of a desktop replacement for gaming at 18.4 inches but lately it's been having major overheating issues especially around the power button (top left hand side) which stem from the fact the little vent running to the fan is made of metal that heats up alot (bad design), i have opened it up loads cleaning out the fluff and the like but now im convinced it needs .

Going over with a can or 2 of compressed air
Graphics card recoated in thermic paste
Possibly a new fan and/or cooling plate.

Ontop of this i am looking to upgrade the OS from 32 bit vista to Windows 7 and go from 4 to 8gb memory.

Worth the hassle ? Hard to do ?

I like the laptop alot besides the heating issues and it has served me well.

Kryten

Old Cow.
Not difficult at all, ddr2 memory is still cheap, re-pasting the heatsinks won't be difficult at all - the most difficult part usually is getting the laptop apart without damaging it. If you've already done that, then you won't have a problem. Just dont forget to plug the fan back in afterwards!

Embattle

FH is my second home
Normally it wouldn't be difficult but being a laptop it does make it harder, in essence it varies laptop to laptop on how difficult it can be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom