Account Scams still going on !

Frozensolid

One of Freddy's beloved
Writing this just as a warning !

People still get their accounts 'hacked', today it happend to a guildy of mine. (last week it was someone else i heared) He found all his the chars on his bb account (including his rvr druid) at the vaultkeeper in Tir Na Nog, cleared of all expensive items.

He was stupid enough to keep his password on his hotmail. So for the last time, please people, delete all passwords to the game u have online... Write 'm down somewhere so that it cannot happen to u.

There are still lame sad people out there that pull this stuff off... :mad:
Be Warned !

Damion

Fledgling Freddie
Similar happend to me, however dont expect help from GoA, some random guy claimed the account was his when i had provided x3 CD keys and CC info to GoA, and GoA terminated the account.

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
Damion said:
Similar happend to me, however dont expect help from GoA, some random guy claimed the account was his when i had provided x3 CD keys and CC info to GoA, and GoA terminated the account.

OMG you prove your the owner and they still terminated!:eek6:

old.Whoodoo

Can't get enough of FH
Hawkwind said:
OMG you prove your the owner and they still terminated!:eek6:
I doubt it was as simple as that, termination is normally a last resort, I expect that story was a lot more complex.

Theres an email scam goign around again atm, it was on here and a warngin on the friday news was given, pass the info on if you know people who dont read either, as some of these scams can be rather convincing.

Most so called "hacks" are just people being daft enough to give details to "friends" or use hotmail or another webmail service in netcafes, then they are quick to point the finger at GOA for their own lack of security.

Keata

Fledgling Freddie
Its very sad when these things happen. Unfortunatly its hard to prove that you didnt give the person your password.

The fact that the codes were on hotmail shouldnt be the reason for this, hotmail is close to impossible to hack.

I think people doing this is either some friend who got your passwords or know you well enough to be able to answer the secret question on hotmail.

Anyways, hope your friend is alright and he will get the nessesary help to get started again.

Rediknight

Can't get enough of FH
Keata said:
The fact that the codes were on hotmail shouldnt be the reason for this, hotmail is close to impossible to hack.

Yeah, but put a human into the equation and it's a whole different game - it's not that hard to access someones hotmail if they haven't logged out of their hotmail account on a public/work/home machine and someone walks up and finds that the "remember me" button was checked, or the back button takes them straight back into the inbox...

can happen - i did it a few times to people at work to show them how easy it is when they have it auto filling a password... :|

Beovulf

Fledgling Freddie
Human error probably causes a lot of these incidents. Dont know how many times it's reiterated in almost EVERY MMORPG ive played, Devs will never ask for any account details. Even ISPs give the warning. An really, writing down a password with details (this is the DAoC password is slightly negligent) but anyway, this isnt a flame, just my point of view. :) Hope ur friend gets sorted.:cheers:

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
Rediknight said:
Yeah, but put a human into the equation and it's a whole different game - it's not that hard to access someones hotmail if they haven't logged out of their hotmail account on a public/work/home machine and someone walks up and finds that the "remember me" button was checked, or the back button takes them straight back into the inbox...

can happen - i did it a few times to people at work to show them how easy it is when they have it auto filling a password... :|

or when people have "what is my favourite colour?" as their security question to reset their password....

Bahumat

FH is my second home
Flimgoblin said:
or when people have "what is my favourite colour?" as their security question to reset their password....

Blue :)

Thorwyn

FH is my second home
Again... how to deal with DAOC login details:

fiction.jpg

"This login/password was in your Daddy's pocket when he was shot down over Hanoi. He was captured and put in a Vietnamese prison camp. Now he knew if the gooks ever saw the login details they'd be confiscated. The way your Daddy looked at it, that login/password was your birthright. And he'd be damned if and slopeheads were gonna put their greasy yella hnds on his boy's birthright. So he hid it in the one place he knew he could hide somethin'. His @ss. Five long years, he wore this watch up his @ss. Then when he died of disentary, he gave me the login/password. I hid with uncomfortable hunk of paper up my @ss for two years. Then, after seven years, I was sent home to my family. And now, little man, I give the login/passord to you."

Elitestoner

Can't get enough of FH
yup yup happened to me before, luckily my chars were stripped before i farmed my 200p template :)

B

big_ish

Thorwyn[B&Q] said:

fiction.jpg

"This login/password was in your Daddy's pocket when he was shot down over Hanoi. He was captured and put in a Vietnamese prison camp. Now he knew if the gooks ever saw the login details they'd be confiscated. The way your Daddy looked at it, that login/password was your birthright. And he'd be damned if and slopeheads were gonna put their greasy yella hnds on his boy's birthright. So he hid it in the one place he knew he could hide somethin'. His @ss. Five long years, he wore this watch up his @ss. Then when he died of disentary, he gave me the login/password. I hid with uncomfortable hunk of paper up my @ss for two years. Then, after seven years, I was sent home to my family. And now, little man, I give the login/passord to you."

Rofl mate, that is class. Have some rep :drink:

[SS]Gamblor

Fledgling Freddie
Thorwyn[B&Q] said:

fiction.jpg

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Thorwyn[B&Q] again.

:( .

eggy

Fledgling Freddie
I'm amazed to see people still haven't grasped the concept of not storing passes in hotmail.

It just goes to show, valium is not a recreational drug.

MesS°

One of Freddy's beloved
Thorwyn[B&Q] said:

fiction.jpg

Doh! If GoA reads this tread they will now, know that the account has been shared. ;)

scorge

Fledgling Freddie
Keata said:

key loggers in net cafes or trojans on your home pc are the main culprit.. that and human stupidity...

:m00:

eggy

Fledgling Freddie
Keata said:
hotmail is close to impossible to hack.

Sorry, I don't normally stoop to such low replies but;

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

If you think that's the case, you are far, far from the truth.

Bahumat

FH is my second home
eggy hacked my account! i saw him hack in while we were bed sharing. after 10 minutes to killing everything he logged off.

yeah i saw you, you know i did now biatch!

Klonk

One of Freddy's beloved
The title of this tread was "account scam", I have to say I would not call a hacked hotmail account for "scam", but indeed a "hack". Scam would involve some sort of trickery/ID theft etc :p

I should know, after my MSN/Hotmail got hacked and a friend of mine lost chars/items from it.. sucks.

FAM87

Loyal Freddie
PW copyed from email to RL.txt note.
Though it never would happen to me... And now it wont xD

Chimaira

Can't get enough of FH
I got my passwords burned on double cds and stashed away. :)

I did get hacked once. I just have to thank some wonderful people for kitting me right back up so I could play Kemor for sorting the assholes (thought refusing to give me back my fucking items due to goa stupidity rules of gayness) and GOA for only being in SI patch so I wouldnt have to get some sicko drops for template. merely mp weapon and 99% armor from m8s ;)

Cemeterygates

Can't get enough of FH
hotmail is far from hard to hack if you know the person semi well....people are silly with passwords....often use stupid things like fave band an shit....if u know their email addy....if you know them the passy aint that hard to figure out a lot of the time...not that i do that shit....its just wrong....but just logic says it aint that hard...

soze

I am a FH squatter
I wonder how many of these hacking incidents would be avoided if you could chose your own password, I have my password stored at home somewhere but if I could just make them one of my normal rotation of passwords it would not be a problem.

Tualatin

Fledgling Freddie
JYI, this prolly was a script kiddie.. as hackers really aren't looking into your pc to help themselves get better in a game..

So, know of any 12 year olds spending too much time behind their computer and playing daoc? :p

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
Thorwyn[B&Q] said:

fiction.jpg

ROFLMAO Repped:clap:

SoulFly

Can't get enough of FH
Thing is, GOA could easily see who logged on the account and to where the items were trasnferred to from the "hacked" account. Yet, they ignore this and let it slide, because someone kept their password in hotmail or something like that.

From my eyes that is total bull shit and BAD customer service. They should be ashamed of that and they should also report the characters involved in "hacking" someone skint.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom