Account hacking still going strong ;(

-Freezingwiz-

Fledgling Freddie
Misleath said:
If you have your passwords on hotmail, well you are kinda begging for it then.

or if u have ppl on MSN and use that mail to daoc aswell, they could hack the mail, and tell goa to send a new pass aswell, if u don't store it on the mail they will still be able to get it that way if they know how to hack u'r mail.

pjuppe

Fledgling Freddie
sucks that you got your account abused. the lack of empathy in this thread makes me sad :(

Tallen

Fledgling Freddie
pjuppe said:
sucks that you got your account abused. the lack of empathy in this thread makes me sad :(

I don't think it's a lack of empathy, no-one is happy he's had his characters cleaned-out. I think players are less tollerant of these threads nowadays, several years of the same threads makes people a bit cynical.

How many times can you say "Don't share your password with anyone, don't use hotmail accounts, don't reply to GOA email links asking for your details, don't keep your passwords in a document on your desktop", before it's like slamming your head against a breeze block?

The second you share your password you lose control over your account, thats the bottom line, regardless of who you gave it too. From that point on you are relying on them to keep it safe, the more who know it, the more chance there is that someone will inadvertantly (or purposefully) give it away.

Himse

FH is my second home
that sucks, unlucky mate, hope you get it back soon :<

eggy

Fledgling Freddie
Sorry to hear this, but share account details and you'll get scourned eventually.

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
Aye... sad as it is and regardless of them being long term friends.. only takes one of them with a crappy firewall or something and poof :/ there goes the passwords or even a keylogger installed on their pc to log pw's etc... risk everyone takes when giving passwords out to friends :/ rl or longterm :( sorry to hear anyway hope it gets set right for you and the little hacker wannabe gets whats coming to him/her... only things i rely on is virus scan twice a day with 3 diff scanners (abit over kill i know but hey) same with spyware scanners... i have my passwords on a private paid for e-mail address rather than a free one (hotmail/yahoo) etc security on them suck :/ when signing upto forums i never use my e-mail address my pw's are stored on... and have a good firewall that alerts you every single time if ANYTHING is trying or requesting to connect to your pc that you haven't asked to or installed... not much else we can do sadly :(

Edit: if your looking for a new mail account try out googlemail... not tried it personally but i heard its alot safer/better than hotmail is

VegetaFH1

Fledgling Freddie
1st off: Hackers SUCK

2nd off: anybody using a firewall.. disable it and get rid of it, Go download Kerio Personal Firewall... its the most powerful and secretive firewalls u can get, sometimes it even doesnt let me near it.. (it can get annoying granted but its the safest place to hide behind :D)

3rd off: HACKERS SUCK

End of message
Personal Message

Sorry to hear ur account go leaked mate.. its a sad thing to see, but if u need help getting back on ur feet dude just give us a call ingame, ill be glad to help out, just remember that ur account may be in shit but its still useable, plus with ur mates there u can simple rejoin the guild, and these are the sort of resons i hide behind kerio, i know its an annoying pos, but it gets the job done properly, just.. try keep in mind that u have mates online, hopefuly some of em are heart warming ppl so u can get back on ur feet, and remember that passwords are best left to urself all the time... unless its someone like me ur giving em too, (someone who wont touch ur account without ur permission) and try keep em away from unsecure places (best behind kerio)

End of Personal message

PS: GET KERIO PERSONAL FIREWALL, NOT Sunbelt kerio

Veg Out

Dracus

Fledgling Freddie
I appreciate all the comments ppl.

Just wanted to add that I know giving PWs, even to friends can go wrong and that MIGHT be what has happened. Just doesnt seem plausible. Coz we're talking about ppl Ive known for 20 years(which ofc doesnt necessarily mean much) and I know excactly what kinda security they have and where they keep the PWs. They are NOT easy accesable(if they had, had a party, which they dont coz they suck! gifv more parties!)

The only conclusion I can draw is that it MIGHT have been leaked via my mates somehow(very unlikely, from running thru the..err..facts) or I could be one of those handful few(kinda doubt this aswell...I reckon it requires a lotta skill and experience - hence, why bother with a fecking daoc acc and not even cleaning it 100%)

So atm Im looking for a 3rd option, which I have no idea what could be :p

Anyway, goa said theyre looking into it(heard this phrase before?!) and they will ofc NOT give the char name(s) of the acc that might have been traded the items :m00: legal issues etc, bah!

Gifv hacking skills, to find out who did it >_<

/Dracus

LordjOX

Part of the furniture
You should really talk to your friends and shake their bars real hard, you never know if maybe they needed your account for something but couldn't dual log or whatever then "lended" it to a third party, and then the snowball keeps rolling. You know they say everyone on the earth is linked by atleast 6 social connections. It happens all the time and is more plausible than the "hacked" explanation.
Open your eyes and shake their bars dude!

Best of luck getting your stuff back

Dracus

Fledgling Freddie
Just got an answer from goa. Wont be getting stuff back coz Ive shared the acc. And somehow they noticed through server side chat logs(yea right..read FH for 5min and u got proof :p)

They did however give me the name of the char the stuff got xfered to. Now Im not sure whether to post it here or find the fella ingame first(its not anyone I know fyi).

/Dracus

VegetaFH1

Fledgling Freddie
Please do enlighten us

(god dam im asking for trouble right here)

The guy/girl thats responsible will get his or her cumupins (SP?), thats the way ive always seen it with these type of situations, thats one reason why ill never use an account without the main user's permission first hand, and ask any one of my mates if u need proof of that......<raises eyebrow> so ye ANYWAY... my personal opinion is keep the name to urself til UR ready to post it, thats ofc if u want to post it

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom