Account hacking still going strong ;(

Dracus

Fledgling Freddie
Well it had to happen sooner or later(or not, but hey)

My main account got hacked in the last few days. Every drop item, crafted bit and cash is gone. the chars that got hit also got disbanded from my guild.

Just posting this to warn ppl. I dont have log/pw on my comp and dont use hotmail for the account. The few ppl who might have access to my account are long time irl friends and they also have log/pw on paper not computer.

Not sure how it happened, but asked goa to tell me who the stuff got xfered to, have to wait and see now.

Be careful with your log/pws ppl :(

<Hib retired till someone hacks account and puts stuff back)

/Dracus

Solari

Can't get enough of FH
Wow sorry to hear that mate...

Maybe it's inappropriate but let's all hope something really bad happens to these ******* irl :(

Demon2k3

One of Freddy's beloved
sorry to hear this, i may be an alb. but if i had a hib toon with something useful i would do anything to try and help.

Dracus

Fledgling Freddie
Contemplating closing my 6 accounts because of this(4 currently active 2 inactive) Coz it cant be true that accounts are that easily hacked if no PW was shared. My own security is up-to date afaik. Firewall and anti-virus running 24/7. Not even using OE for emails, if thats still a risk.

Atm Im at a loss for ideas/plans of what to do. Lotta time wasted...a LOT of time...

/Dracus

Alan

Fledgling Freddie
Dracus said:
My own security is up-to date afaik. Firewall and anti-virus running 24/7. Not even using OE for emails, if thats still a risk.

And you can say the same for the others who used your account? I know it sucks when you loose stuff - REALLY SUCKS - but chances are the person gained access to the account from one of them.

Missed out on some great PL in the early days by refusing to give my game pass to my brother, i mean you can trust family cant you? but at least i know if my account gets compromised then its my fault.

Dracus

Fledgling Freddie
Tears said:
And you can say the same for the others who used your account? I know it sucks when you loose stuff - REALLY SUCKS - but chances are the person gained access to the account from one of them.

Missed out on some great PL in the early days by refusing to give my game pass to my brother, i mean you can trust family cant you? but at least i know if my account gets compromised then its my fault.

The friends that have access(only 2!) have excact same security as me, so doubt its thru them. And again...I KNOW they dont have pw on their comps. So how would it be compromised? keylogger? kinda hard thru a firewall isnt it? unless he gave the program access ofc.

Anyway, I'll wait for RN to answer...Rest I'll decide after that.

/Dracus

chretien

Fledgling Freddie
Sucks that you lost your stuff but I can't believe that people still share accounts despite all the threads like this and despite all the warnings from Goa.

Elkie

Can't get enough of FH
You did say that people have your passwords mate unfortunatly it can happen and if you are as well protected as you say you are then you shouldnt of been hacked into other wise.

Theirs 2 different things

People who got really hacked
People who got hacked but took a risk (aka. giving passwords out)

Really sorry to hear about it mate, im going through the worse atm people can vouch for me i gues 8 weeks gone and still no acount back:)

Mirt

One of Freddy's beloved
"People who got really hacked
People who got hacked but took a risk (aka. giving passwords out)"

Call me a cynic, but I'd put real money on a bet that the second group out number the first at least 10-1

Elkie

Can't get enough of FH
Mirt said:

Call me a cynic, but I'd put real money on a bet that the second group out number the first at least 10-1

yep example of this would be 1 and half years ago i kept my passwords on my pc, irl friend took them off then robbed me chanter, learnt from my mistakes from giving out passwords and keeping em on pc;) but what happened to me lately is unfortunatly the 1st option:)

Killder

Can't get enough of FH
Dracus said:
..... The few ppl who might have access to my account are long time irl friends .....

As soon as I saw this I stopped reading. No sympathy.

raid

Can't get enough of FH
Sad to hear this.

But what really bothers me in this kind of threads are comments like the following:

Killder said:
As soon as I saw this I stopped reading. No sympathy.

Blabla ofc sharing acc is against the coc, and its asking for trouble in a way... but people who post this kind of stuff seem to forget that VERY seldom anyone gains something from sharing their accounts. 99% of the time it is to HELP a friend by borrowing a PL character or a crafter.

So plz, if u got nothing else to say, just fuck off and stfu.

Konah

Fledgling Freddie
never given my accnt details to anyone, i know how secure my pc is, i dont know theirs.

Dracus

Fledgling Freddie
Well that would be where Im confused, coz they have the excact same security I do and I KNOW they dont have the log/pw on their comps anyway..so the fact 2 of my VERY close mates might still have it around on paper kinda wont matter.

/Dracus

Kaun_IA

Fledgling Freddie
Dracus said:
Well that would be where Im confused, coz they have the excact same security I do and I KNOW they dont have the log/pw on their comps anyway..so the fact 2 of my VERY close mates might still have it around on paper kinda wont matter.

/Dracus

security can be breached(or however its written)

do you know for sure that they didnt download some shady stuff from the net and get a keylogger or something... u cant be 100% sure of theyr security. not blameing ur friends or enything, but u cannot be sure 100% on others computers... and u know.... humans are the weakest links in security

Tallen

Fledgling Freddie
Mirt said:

I'd say 1000+-1 personally, actually bothering to properly hack a PC to gain account details for a game (and they never seem to take anything valuable like bank dertails or card details) that has nothing that can be sold for irl cash is pointless.

Hate saying this because it's hard to hear for someone who has lost a load of kit, but sharing your password even with close friends is a recipe for disaster.

The simple answer is right-now, GOA can possibly check server logs and pick out what char your items were transferred too, i think you'll be surprised and chances are you know the person responsible.

Edit: Afterthought, was the account your from scratch or purchased?

Mnexxiz

Fledgling Freddie
Tallen said:
I'd say 1000+-1 personally, actually bothering to properly hack a PC to gain account details for a game (and they never seem to take anything valuable like bank dertails or card details) that has nothing that can be sold for irl cash is pointless.

You might be surprised then that the WOW Trojan is doing exactly that. And it is well spread as a trojan.

Tallen said:
Hate saying this because it's hard to hear for someone who has lost a load of kit, but sharing your password even with close friends is a recipe for disaster.

As soon as you have told a password to anyone you have lost control of it. If you want to keep control of anything that is password protected, DON'T give it out to anyone.

Tallen said:
The simple answer is right-now, GOA can possibly check server logs and pick out what char your items were transferred too, i think you'll be surprised and chances are you know the person responsible.

Just as a side note:
http://www.dss.mil/training/csg/security/V1comput/Threats.htm said:
The Computer Security Institute and FBI cooperate to conduct an annual CSI/FBI Computer Crime and Security Survey of U.S. corporations, government agencies, financial institutions, and universities.1 Of the information security professionals who responded to this survey, 80% cited disgruntled and dishonest employees as the most likely source of attack on their computer system.

Fifty-five percent of respondents reported unauthorized access by insiders, as compared with 30% reporting system penetration by outsiders. Many companies reported multiple instances of unauthorized access or system penetration. For a study of the threat of insider betrayal by insider computer system professionals themselves, see The Insider Threat to Information Systems in the Treason 101 module.

When tabulating attacks from all sources, both insider and outsider, the following numbers represent the percentages of respondents who reported each type of attack during the previous year: 32% denial of service, 26% theft of proprietary information, 19% sabotage of data or networks, and 14% financial fraud.

Good luck with your hacked account and may you get all back and let's hope it was really someone else than one of your "friends".

Dracus

Fledgling Freddie
Ofc I cant be 100% sure of either my own computer or my friends, noway I could. Will just have to wait till monday and see what goa says.

And yes the account is mine, never traded any accounts and never will. Account is from 2 weeks into retail.

/Dracus

Aeris

Fledgling Freddie
omg nerf :(

its scary shit now days the amount of people being hacked, i had a close call a month or so back with my hotmail being hacked (yes i did use it for passwords :( )

hope you get yourself sorted mate, ill be glad to help in anyway i can :(

Andrilyn

Can't get enough of FH
raid said:
Sad to hear this.

But what really bothers me in this kind of threads are comments like the following:

Blabla ofc sharing acc is against the coc, and its asking for trouble in a way... but people who post this kind of stuff seem to forget that VERY seldom anyone gains something from sharing their accounts. 99% of the time it is to HELP a friend by borrowing a PL character or a crafter.

So plz, if u got nothing else to say, just fuck off and stfu.

He's right though Raid, you share your account and you take the risk of that person to log in your account and drop all your artifacts and transfer all items of value and money.
Personally I don't believe any DAoC account every got hacked, too much hassle too much risk and worth nothing compared to what you could actually get.
Also a Firewall does not protect you against keyloggers or trojans, a Virus scanner does a good job though but in the end it's your own stupidity if you get one of these on your PC (how harsh it might seem).

Personally I think one of his "friends" had a laugh with his account and trashed it eventhough they will ofc never admit it.
Ask GOA for logs is the only thing you can do but I think they wont give out stuff like which IP was logged in at the moment this all happend but if they do you could figure out if it was really your "friend" that did this.

Tallen

Fledgling Freddie
Mnexxiz said:
You might be surprised then that the WOW Trojan is doing exactly that. And it is well spread as a trojan.

Well aware of this, and if you bothered to read what you quoted, you would realise I was referring to items in a game that have no RL value. It's well known WoW kit/cash is readily traded on-line for cash and as such has a value, very few buy or sell DAoC items online anymore, too easy to get them in game plus only a handfull of players play DAoC anymore compared with god-knows how many hundred-thousand WoW subscribers.

-Freezingwiz-

Fledgling Freddie
always annoying to hear when ppl get hacked and stuff like that, there should be a rl gang squad, going around finding ppl who hack, make virus's etc and beat em up or stuff a rocket up there arse and fire it, and after that nail em to a wall above ground as an example what happens to ppl who do stuff like that :) (yes I hate ppl who do stuff like that)

oh joy oh joy :)

but another note about shareing passes, it's just a matter of trust, if u have just a small doubt about the ppl u give acc details out to then don't... personally I think like 10 ppl or so have my acc details and I have like 30 acc details, and I haven't had any problems, and only 1 guy I know have had problems with some1 hacking his acc, and that was cuz he was smart enough to have all his acc details on hotmail where he asked ppl to send template if he should SC for em :/

but a guy I tried to talked to a few times only PM me when I was doing ML raids on prydwen asking me if I could bring his char on a ML raid, and I was like hmm... u are just gonna give me u'r pass to your acc w/o even thinking twice cuz U can't be home in time 0o, and he didn't really care, just wanted to get the ML's done :p

Elkie

Can't get enough of FH
Tears said:
Come on guys :-

https://forums.freddyshouse.com/showthread.php?t=198219

I think I saw Requiel post somewhere that the amount of people who had been hacked that followed guidelines similar to the above - could be counted on one hand, possibly one finger.

NEVER give your password to anyone.

Aye, the post was about people going on links through emails or the useal giving out passwords.

I think the acutall fact of people having your passwords as you mentioned above can give a link to how this "hackor" got your passwords, through your pc or theirs.

Luz

Fledgling Freddie
nomatter how much you trust someone if you give your password out its subject for hacking.

keep it in your head only

what if any of your friends had a party and someone saw the paper?
there are a milion things that can happen that will screw shit up.. I dont even keep my PW on paper, only in head... its not so hard to get a new if needed.

soz mate tho

Eluvia

Fledgling Freddie
tbh

The only people ive given my account details to, are people who if they hacked me i would have no reason to play anymore anyway (regardless of how damaged the account was). (just guild grp).

Misleath

Fledgling Freddie
Anyone actually got their pc hacked and password stolen or got it ripped by a keylogger?

People speak of that all the time but I strongly doubt that people would put the effort in hacking a computer for that reason.

If you have your passwords on hotmail, well you are kinda begging for it then.

Elkie

Can't get enough of FH
Eluvia said:
The only people ive given my account details to, are people who if they hacked me i would have no reason to play anymore anyway (regardless of how damaged the account was). (just guild grp).

why are you selling or your bms gear anyway ian:(

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom