Account/Cash sellers?

Nomans Land

One of Freddy's beloved
If its against the CoC to sell, trade, buy accounts / plats / items... anything of the sort. Then why do websites that are openly doing all of these things get anyway with it?

Or is the CoC different in the US and they are allowed to do that?

Gamah

Banned
Its not allowed, but its not against REAL LAW. So goa cant do anything to close these sites down.

Edit: Pwned with my insta reply :<

Nomans Land

One of Freddy's beloved
But surely if its against their policy to do it then it is against the law in a way? :confused:

Gamah

Banned
Nomans Land said:
But surely if its against their policy to do it then it is against the law in a way? :confused:

No because they are not selling any real world property. The law on computer game items in europe is still murky. And mythic/Goa wouldn't have the capital to spend on filing law suits. The best they do is ban the accounts involved in trading.

Nomans Land

One of Freddy's beloved
Oh okay. Fair enough, ty for the answer :p you have put my mind at rest!

Now scroll down and answer the 'House Question' Topic.

Tilda

They dont get away with it, trust me, but goa can't release names/accounts/numbers etc so its hard to say "yes look we banned xx accounts last week for selling stuff"

Chimaira

Can't get enough of FH
They sure get away with it in the States plat/acc selling is so insanely large over there its insane.

Europe is just expensive and lame tbh

Not saying its a good thing. But plat service sure helped me a lot. Like DMtransfers that lets you trade plats from one server to another and he takes a percentage cut of it say 40 plat on Lance for 30 plat on morgan

Righthandof

Fledgling Freddie
Tilda said:
They dont get away with it, trust me, but goa can't release names/accounts/numbers etc so its hard to say "yes look we banned xx accounts last week for selling stuff"

they do. its well known that some player posting here have sold/bought accounts, and still theyve been playing with it for a half year+

old.Whoodoo

Can't get enough of FH
GOA didnt ban people buying plats, theyjust removed the plats, as they found who the traders were, some poeple have been left minus £lots and nothing to show for it. Serves em right.

[HB]Jpeg

Loyal Freddie
Nomans Land said:
If its against the CoC to sell, trade, buy accounts / plats / items... anything of the sort. Then why do websites that are openly doing all of these things get anyway with it?

Or is the CoC different in the US and they are allowed to do that?

the accounts i have seen have mostly had a disclaimer at bottom telling buyer that the account and all items remain the sole property of goa/mythic and they are only charging the said amount to pay for the time consumed by the seller in lvl'ing/equiping the character. hence the buyer is only paying for seller for the time spent on the character and not selling the actual account itself.

i sold my WoW account a month or 2 ago. 1st time i advertised it it goit took off ebay for breaking there rules etc etc... but i reposted it as.
WoW game cd's with FREE characters .. and ebay allowed the sale to run its course and sell . ofc the buyer knew what he was payingfor cos he didnt even giv me an address to send cd's to. he just got the account and didnt bother with asking for me post cd's to him :)

on a personal note. i dont really care if people sell there accounts. end of the day if somebody leaving a game that account would become redundant and not making goa/mythic etc etc any money . whereas if somebody buys an account its Subscriptions being paid that they wouldnt have if original owner didnt sell :)

Tilda

old.Whoodoo said:
GOA didnt ban people buying plats, theyjust removed the plats, as they found who the traders were, some poeple have been left minus £lots and nothing to show for it. Serves em right.

Read the E&E boards and see why this is incorrect.
They ban accounts.

Nomans Land

One of Freddy's beloved
[HB]Jpeg said:
on a personal note. i dont really care if people sell there accounts. end of the day if somebody leaving a game that account would become redundant and not making goa/mythic etc etc any money . whereas if somebody buys an account its Subscriptions being paid that they wouldnt have if original owner didnt sell :)

They make more money from the person who has to buy a new game cd + expansions and then use time to lvl to 50 and then template the character. Gets them more money in the long run.

IainC

English WAR Community Manager
[HB]Jpeg said:
the accounts i have seen have mostly had a disclaimer at bottom telling buyer that the account and all items remain the sole property of goa/mythic and they are only charging the said amount to pay for the time consumed by the seller in lvl'ing/equiping the character. hence the buyer is only paying for seller for the time spent on the character and not selling the actual account itself.
This makes no difference whatsoever. You cannot sell time, it isn't a commodity or service that can be traded. Nobody pays for time, if you think your boss pays you for your time try sitting at your desk motionless and tell him that he's only paying you for your time and not for any services you are providing in that time. You aren't paying the sellers of the account for their time either, you are paying for their account and no matter how they word it that doesn't change. If you buy PLing for example, you don't pay the necro by the hour to sit there and read a book, you pay him to cast spells on your behalf.

Time cannot be the subject of a trade. If it can I'll have ten years back please, I was thin then.

With regards to farming companies. I've been hunting these dawn as I find proof of their actions. Organised farmers have all their accounts perma-banned (including ones that may have had nothing to do with their operation) and any new ones I find are insta-banned with no warning. People I find that have bought things from these people usually get a warning and the items/cash/etc deleted, no-one gets banned for buying stuff although at least one radar-abuser used it as his excuse for not being able to play anymore when he got banned.
There is no place for these organised farmers on my servers and I will not allow them to continue. Before Christmas I personally terminated over sixty accounts that were used for farming or trading items for real cash. Several of the people subsequently popped up on these forums and directed non-specific rants at me, Goa and at other players. Some of the anonymous trolling and flame-stirring is attributable to these people and should tell you everything you need to know about how they operate.

Dracus

Fledgling Freddie
Requiel said:
This makes no difference whatsoever. You cannot sell time, it isn't a commodity or service that can be traded. Nobody pays for time, if you think your boss pays you for your time try sitting at your desk motionless and tell him that he's only paying you for your time and not for any services you are providing in that time. You aren't paying the sellers of the account for their time either, you are paying for their account and no matter how they word it that doesn't change. If you buy PLing for example, you don't pay the necro by the hour to sit there and read a book, you pay him to cast spells on your behalf.

Time cannot be the subject of a trade. If it can I'll have ten years back please, I was thin then.

With regards to farming companies. I've been hunting these dawn as I find proof of their actions. Organised farmers have all their accounts perma-banned (including ones that may have had nothing to do with their operation) and any new ones I find are insta-banned with no warning. People I find that have bought things from these people usually get a warning and the items/cash/etc deleted, no-one gets banned for buying stuff although at least one radar-abuser used it as his excuse for not being able to play anymore when he got banned.
There is no place for these organised farmers on my servers and I will not allow them to continue. Before Christmas I personally terminated over sixty accounts that were used for farming or trading items for real cash. Several of the people subsequently popped up on these forums and directed non-specific rants at me, Goa and at other players. Some of the anonymous trolling and flame-stirring is attributable to these people and should tell you everything you need to know about how they operate.

I wanna have your babies...

/Dracus

Vladamir

FH is my second home
Tilda said:
Read the E&E boards and see why this is incorrect.
They ban accounts.

What about the accounts are known to be ebayed that're still active though?.

And what's goa's stance on passing on ownership of an account, out of interest?.

Rediknight

Can't get enough of FH
It does drive me nuts when, out of curiosity, i go and search DAoC on Ebay and find millions upon millions of plat/powerlevelling services/drops for sale. By far the most frequent is the sale of cash though, with obvious "companies" set up who do it as a money making thing.

It's not only DAoC that suffers from it though, pretty much every single MMO will have a few numpties trying to make real cash by sitting on their arse earning pretend cash.

Is there no way GoA/Mythic can come to an agreement with Ebay to pull all these types of sale from their sites? I know i've heard of a few titles where it's been agreed. Sony have had plenty of press time about EQ and SWG stuff being traded for RL money, but still it gets sold.

as an example, theres a PLing service that seems to be a regular thing, from a "power seller" - these are actually companies - surely theres enough in the GoA/Mythic kitty to persue these guys for breach of some law or another, especially from such frequent, and blatant, companies?

Righthandof

Fledgling Freddie
i dont see why is it such a big problem... if you don't want to buy, dont do so.

Adrianicus

Loyal Freddie
I'm usually a reader not a poster on these boards ;)

Try looking at it from the otherside...

I fail to see whats wrong with buying plats/accounts.

Imagine being a total new player - having the ability just to buy a few plats to start off their chars so they can equip them would be a great help i.e on the classic servers at the mo.

What about casual players who are rarely in game but want a rare arti or item, people who dont have time to camp could purchase a GoV or Cloudsong. Thank god the next patch will remove the camping to some extent.

How about someone who has had their account for years but never found time to play another class/realm - trading/buying would give them a chance to try something different without the leveling grind all over again (50,ARTIS,RAS,MLS,DR).

Yes I am aware of GOAs rules and I abide by them however I cant see how it affects GOA. People should be allowed to do it at their own risk like it happens over at Mythic.

True, I'm not aware of the outcome if it was 'legal' to do so - maybe camping would get worse due to more people farming to sell. Who knows..

But I felt the 'darkside' should have a say :)

At the end of the day most of us are farming to sell on the these boards, is it any different to buy it with plats or £s?

<Disclaimer> this post was generated to stimulate an intellectual debate, not to piss any one off! :fluffle:

Darzil

Fledgling Freddie
Adrianicus,

The usual answer is that if this trading is allowed, you'll have lots of companies paying people to sit at all the arties and farm them. Pretty soon the only way a player can get them is to part with real money.

That's not a game I want to play.

Darzil

Adrianicus

Loyal Freddie
I see what you mean.

Maybe thats why mythic removed artifact drops from next patch.

Yet it seems to function ok over in USA - hundreds of items for sale and the customer base still seems to be happy.

DocWolfe

Part of the furniture
the problem is... if you can afford to buy plats then its fine, but if you're poor like me then that person has the unfair advantage.

Adrianicus

Loyal Freddie
True :)

But what about a personA who works a 10hr day and only gets a few hours a week to play compared to personB who is on it all the time farming everything.

Should be personA be able to buy the items he knows he'll never get?

Yes you could be personA and still not be able to afford to buy the items - shit happens i guess :(

Rediknight

Can't get enough of FH
and, tbh, when you start a new toon on a "classic" server, or any server come to that, the instances and starter missions provide more than enough silver/gold and items...

whats the point?

It's like buying a standalone game and skipping to level ten without even trying. It's a cop out and it's just a bit lame if nothing else.

When the game launched there wasn't a load of people just there to farm cash, it's only since the MMO market has taken off full steam that it's become widespread and a viable business.

The only way i can see to stop it is to actually identify and prosecute those actually making a living from it. I don't mean the one off account seller - ban that account, job done - i mean the ones with 20+ adverts selling PL and cash, every week, on every server.

"Peckham Spring" jumps immediately to mind... ;)

athom

One of Freddy's beloved
Requiel said:

its considered a "service" just as any other "service" - like a pizza delivery...
hi, i would like a 50 cheesewheel with xtra spicy artifacts plz

would be like paying a guy to go to work for you. must be hard to stop, no doubt. but stop pretending like youre even trying zz ;p

Aiteal

Can't get enough of FH
DocWolfe said:
the problem is... if you can afford to buy plats then its fine, but if you're poor like me then that person has the unfair advantage.

You can't RvR without a BuffBot and ToA artis (which need a buffbot)
People who can afford 2 accounts have always had an advantage over those who could not.

No amount of ingame plats could buy you equipment that would put you on par with buff-botted players if you are unbuffed.
Which is why I thougt it was the height of hypocrisy for Mark Jacobs to publicly slag off Sony for their exchange station thingy.

Behmoth

Fledgling Freddie
Requiel said:

who thinks Requiel is eating too many croissants in paris?

plz don't ban me :m00:

scorge

Fledgling Freddie
DocWolfe said:

thas life there will always be richer people then you :(

:m00:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom