Access Denied... A little help needed.

L

leggy

Right here goes.

My mate's XP install recently became corrupt to the point it would boot in safe mode.

SO anyway, I took out his hard disk and fitted to my maching also running XP. I was able to copy all his work over ( the most important stuff) and his music and what not.

The problem is that I can't access his user folder contained in c:\documents and settings. I am getting an access denied error.

Do any of you know a work around to this or maybe a util that'll solve my probs.

please let me know

Regards

Leggy

M

Mellow-

Probably something to do with the fact that all his settings for his user account are in there. As long as you're the Administrator, you should be able to take ownership of files.

U

Ulysses777

Ok then, here goes:

First, go to Control Panel > Folder Options. On the View tab, look in the Advanced Settings box for 'Use simple file sharing (Recommended)' and make sure the checkbox is cleared, then click OK.

Now right-click on the folder you're trying to access, click Properties, and click on the Security tab. Now click on Advanced, then click on the Owner tab.

Then finally, click on the account you want to change ownership to, then OK. :)

S

(Shovel)

Originally posted by Ulysses777
Ok then, here goes:

First, go to Control Panel > Folder Options. On the View tab, look in the Advanced Settings box for 'Use simple file sharing (Recommended)' and make sure the checkbox is cleared, then click OK.

Now right-click on the folder you're trying to access, click Properties, and click on the Security tab. Now click on Advanced, then click on the Owner tab.

Then finally, click on the account you want to change ownership to, then OK. :)

Erm - unless this is XP Home.

Home does not let you disable SFS (Simple File Sharing).

What you need to do instead, is to boot your computer into safe mode, and log in as the Administrator (since you can't log in as Administrator from normal mode), then you should be able to dance all over the system, without needing to worry about changing ownership of files. Also, Safe Mode+Admin is the only way in home that you *can* get around Simple File Sharing, and get the full dialogs.

You would be able to copy the files to wherever you want them form there, or you can do the above and change ownership using the same method.

L

leggy

Right,

It is XP Pro and Ulysses777 you are an utter utter star my friend :)

Copied all his mail over this morning.

Thanks very much.

Regards

leggy

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom