about Plextor drives

Cylian

Fledgling Freddie
if you got a Plextor drive, what's your experience with it ?

I'm asking, because around christmas 2004 I bought a Plextor 716A DVD Writer.
In October 2005 it died, called Plextor, got a new one within a couple of days for free.
Start of this year the replacement Writer stopped reading CDs (DVDs were fine), only just called the delivery service to return the replacement for exchange/repair ... and the guy just asked "Plextor?" and pretty much knew exactly the address and all that stuff without even looking at his PDA/a note :eek7:

browsed a bit through the comments of shoppers in an online shop about plextor drives and found "1-year use, then dead" comments quite often.

Krait

Fledgling Freddie
Mines a plex combo drive.........had it about 3/4 years and it works fine still except with some copy protection that certain games use........then it gets loud..............really loud :(

Herjulf

Banned
Have had 3 plextor drives all 3 still working flawlessly.
More and more media supported each firmware released.

oldest 5years+ old, and 1xxx CD´s burnt, oldest dvd burner maybe 3xx smt dvd´s.

Cylian

Fledgling Freddie
Drive #3: deceased as of 13th March, 2006

<sigh> guess it's "Plextor for the first and last time" :/

Pirkel

Fledgling Freddie
Plextor is a classic case of "quick fame, make a quick buck"...

In the beginning of the CD-writer era they made a name for themselves ... they always were on the front of the writingspeed race and were one of the first to struck a deal with the most popular burning programs (Nero for example).

But then the market got saturated and they started making cheaper and cheaper stuff ... so the low prices together with the good name they still had back then mean they made a lot of money really fast...

I've had 2 of the plextors in my lifetime ... First one shredded a disc while it was in it ... but that could have been a bad disc I have to admit.

I'm still using a plexcombo and I often have to put cd's/dvd's in again and again cause it just won't "notice" that there is a disc in it :(

LordjOX

Part of the furniture
My Plextor DVD writer been going for almost 2 years now, no probs. Atleast I heard Plextor got excellent customer service where they replace faulty drives super fast.
But since I heard this from several of my friends, it says something about it though :p

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Plextor not what they once were sadly, LiteOn/NEC/Samsung flooded the market with high spec cheap writers and Plextor just can't compete at this price point so they tried to stay at the premium end of the market but don't really offer an features to justify it :(

Svartmetall

Great Unclean One
I still think Pioneer make probably the best drives out there; I pretty much default to Pioneer for optical drives, and Western Digital for hard drives.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom