A worrying lack of coverage in the UK press?

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
I was thinking, shouldn't we be seing coverage of warhammer in the games magazines? I buy at least one a month (PC Format) and now and again PC gamer, neither of which have had a sniff of it. Shouldn't it be about time they actually start advertising the game and start to build up a bit of hype? They had a few pages spread on the expansion pack for WoW and i think a paragraph (more of a sentence really) on Warhammer.

Not sure about the European press as I don't read it :)

Gear

Can't get enough of FH
I was thinking, shouldn't we be seing coverage of warhammer in the games magazines? I buy at least one a month (PC Format) and now and again PC gamer, neither of which have had a sniff of it. Shouldn't it be about time they actually start advertising the game and start to build up a bit of hype? They had a few pages spread on the expansion pack for WoW and i think a paragraph (more of a sentence really) on Warhammer.

Press? Que est-ce que c'est Press?

Aesgir

Loyal Freddie

What talk about a MMO that isn't WoW...isn't that heresy or something? :eek7:
I've noticed a lack of coverage, but i'm guessing that's due to the fact that the majority of Mythic staff are focussing on US based publications rather than EU, and GOA don't have the authority to break any non sanctioned news and are covered by a non-disclosure clause. So the magazines won't bother at all until they can have something better than 'we read this on a website and it sounds ok'.

kirennia

Part of the furniture
Would be interesting if there are any frnch people here who buy these magazines to say if they've seen any articles yet. I'd put money on it that the French/German advertisment will be substantially larger then the english ones.

GReaper

Part of the furniture
I don't think they're quite ready for the press coverage yet. Would be quite daft getting coverage before Christmas, trying to compete for attention against games which have already been released.

Maybe in a another 4 months I'd get worried if some decent articles haven't been published.

prodical

Fledgling Freddie
afaik they have over 500 thousand people signed upto beta atm. so i guess they feel they dont need to advertise.

Balbor

Fledgling Freddie
There's a new UK magazine called Total PC Gaming, it has has a dedicated 20 page MMO section and i think they are doing a feature on Warhammer quite soon.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
I'd put money on it that the French/German advertisment will be substantially larger then the english ones.

i doubt it. GOA have way way to much money to lose if EA finds out and decides that GOA can't be trusted and do the european part themself.

tho i'd prefer EA did that anyway believe it or not. say what you want about EA (and i usually do) but they dont look kindly upon ppl that makes them lose money. so they are going to be wanting TONS of advertising even in the english speaking part of europe. not just france and germany.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
500 thousand, WoW has 9 MILLION subscribers.

spot the diference!

WoW is 2 years old. Warhammer is closed beta....

ur comparison means fuck all atm. try again in 2 years. oh wait, it still wont be accurate.

Zoia

Can't get enough of FH

I'm sure one of the main reasons EA bought Mythic was because of Warhammer. Obviously they have a lot of cash and will do what they can to get as many subscribers to WAR as they can, meaning lots of advertising.
Maybe it's too early, but i'm sure we will see lots of advertising when WAR is getting close to release. I would only worry about it if it was only Mythic(without EA) doing the advertising. ;)

Calaen

I am a massive cock who isn't firing atm!

I was under the impression that WoW numbers have dropped off from the peek of 8 million that they recorded.

Castus

Can't get enough of FH
I was under the impression that WoW numbers have dropped off from the peek of 8 million that they recorded.

And their response to this?...

A TV advertising campaign in England and i assume elsewhere. Proper marketing ,i hope this is 1 thing EA can bring to the table for WAR.

Calaen

I am a massive cock who isn't firing atm!
Of course, however I hate it when people throw out the highest number they ever had for the rest of the games life!

Fafnir

Resident Freddy
Not so many weeks ago a Audit team confirmed 9.000.000 paying customers. And from what i know from audit teams they rather find faults. God i hate audits :)

Would like to see the numbers on how many accounts that has been created since launch.

Cromcruaich

Can't get enough of FH
WoW advert on national telly last night.

I also got the feeling that GoA heartily pissed off the gaming mags 3 or so years ago. They were starting to get some coverage, and favourable reviews but then it all went very quite. There is more to getting the hype juggernaught rolling than paying for advertising, i guess there has to be a lot of schmoozing going on to really get it going, which judging by the quality of communication GoA display - I dont think they are capable of.

Maybe try sending free croissants to every games mag editor for starters.

Farbaute2

Fledgling Freddie
Maybe some of the game magasine people played daoc on prydwen or excalibur and doesnt like goa anylonger?

WiZe^

Can't get enough of FH
W.A.R(EU) is a disaster before it evens comes to out ? -_-
US ftw :(

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!

500k in beta, they had 200k in the first 10 days - don't think even WoW had that (but I can't find any solid numbers on what WoW had in beta..)

Thorwyn

FH is my second home
I'd put money on it that the French/German advertisment will be substantially larger then the english ones.

Not exactly a large coverage in Germany either. The usual previews, but nothing to write home about. It´s still a couple of months until WAR is going gold, so don´t panic (yet). :)

knighthood

Fledgling Freddie
I'm sure one of the main reasons EA bought Mythic was because of Warhammer. Obviously they have a lot of cash and will do what they can to get as many subscribers to WAR as they can, meaning lots of advertising.
Maybe it's too early, but i'm sure we will see lots of advertising when WAR is getting close to release. I would only worry about it if it was only Mythic(without EA) doing the advertising. ;)

but why would we want it advertised for english anyway as weve all seen the total fuck up GoA made of dark age for us, we want people to go play War on the U.S servers anyway . Fuck GoA up the arse, i hope hammers falls flat on its face over here unless EA and Mythic come to thier senses and get someone else to cover it in europe

knighthood

Fledgling Freddie
There was a five minute preview of warhammer on a programme called Gamer TV on Bravo today, it wasn't bad either.
There is a rip of it here: Gamereactor TV Player

lolz , game looked pretty good, the guy was lolz tho.

14euros ? whats that in pounds xD , not that im gonna play on euro servers but that sounds expensive :/

Aesgir

Loyal Freddie
but why would we want it advertised for english anyway as weve all seen the total fuck up GoA made of dark age for us, we want people to go play War on the U.S servers anyway . Fuck GoA up the arse, i hope hammers falls flat on its face over here unless EA and Mythic come to thier senses and get someone else to cover it in europe
Because some of us don't really share your 100% negative attitude about GOA? Because some of us don't want to have to play US servers to game? I've kept up with GOA's stance on DAoC, and yeah i think it's terrible, but do i think such terrible service would apply to a game just starting out, instead of a game that's dying, of course not. So sorry to disappoint you and those of your mindset, i'll be playing EU, and if you're hoping EU WAR falls on its face, i'll be hoping you're very disappointed.

GOA aren't entirely to blame for the DAOC mess, just their bad customer service, which they seem to be making steps to counteract. It's called 'blank slate' i believe.

I agree 14 euro's sounds a little expensive, but i'm sure it's pretty much around what's going to be standard cost soon.

Himse

FH is my second home
spot the diference!

WoW is 2 years old. Warhammer is closed beta....

ur comparison means fuck all atm. try again in 2 years. oh wait, it still wont be accurate.

your amusing, I doubt WH will get the subs WoW has, since they don't advertise in the EU really.

knighthood

Fledgling Freddie
Because some of us don't really share your 100% negative attitude about GOA? Because some of us don't want to have to play US servers to game? I've kept up with GOA's stance on DAoC, and yeah i think it's terrible, but do i think such terrible service would apply to a game just starting out, instead of a game that's dying, of course not. So sorry to disappoint you and those of your mindset, i'll be playing EU, and if you're hoping EU WAR falls on its face, i'll be hoping you're very disappointed.

GOA aren't entirely to blame for the DAOC mess, just their bad customer service, which they seem to be making steps to counteract. It's called 'blank slate' i believe.

I agree 14 euro's sounds a little expensive, but i'm sure it's pretty much around what's going to be standard cost soon.

Fair enough , each to thier own but i dont see how u can put your trust in GoA after the fiasco that was Daoc, u say its a new game and all, but they never really made any effort to advertise daoc either when it was new. I would love to play Euro rather then the US servers tbh, but i simply see the same thing happening again..

and 10quid a month, thats a joke surely..

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
£10 a month isn't so bad seeing as you will only need the one account, most people had more than one DAOC account. Will be a bonus if its $15 a month though :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom