A Warning

G

Gef

To all 56kers thinking of buying Planetside, patches tend to be quite large and can take a while to download. Also they will most probably be quite frequent at this stage in the game, just a warning.

G

Gumbo

Theres something funny there then, as I am on isdn, and it's taking 3 hours, so 56k shouldn't be more than 6 hours or so at a stretch.

Is this a boxed retail copy, or burned beta one, as i believe that latest hefty 500 meg beta update made it onto the retail copies already.

S

Scooba Da Bass

The patch time will come down, during the beta we were getting 8/9 hour plus patch DLs according to the loader, but in reality it took much less.

D

Deadmanwalking

Must be something very very wrong ....

saying that im on 1 meg ADSL here and so patches take very small amounts of time, but i know a few ppl on same connection or even better who have had to wait hours and hours ..... routing/time of day/Bad luck i think is to blame.

F

Faeldawn

Just because it takes a long time to d/l the patch you shouldnt discourage 56k players from playing.

However, that does seem to be a pretty big patch for a newly retailed game.

56k d/l at below average rate of 3kb/s

180kb/minute= 10.8 meg/hr= 259.2 meg/day

On the 3days 8hrs logic it must be more than a 3/4 GIG dl!

My maths may be a lil wrong (they usually are) but surely this cant be right, surely?

B

Bure Ygg

i have ISDN too and it took only 3h for me to patch too

so it will not take too much longer with 56k modem :)

G

Gef

Originally posted by Faeldawn
Just because it takes a long time to d/l the patch you shouldnt discourage 56k players from playing.

However, that does seem to be a pretty big patch for a newly retailed game.

56k d/l at below average rate of 3kb/s

180kb/minute= 10.8 meg/hr= 259.2 meg/day

On the 3days 8hrs logic it must be more than a 3/4 GIG dl!

My maths may be a lil wrong (they usually are) but surely this cant be right, surely?

Either that or he is getting like 0.5kb/s from the patch server. Either way I may have been a little hasty, as mine reads as taking 30 mins on 512k DSL. I'll edit my post a little ..

S

Scooba Da Bass

Any downsides to patching is of course negated by the fact that bugs are ironed out super quickly, and once you've got that stupidly large offline training pack down most patchs are 5 minute affairs at most.

E

Embattle

It seems that for every 50 things fixed another 25 are borken with with MMOG patches.

F

Faeldawn

Originally posted by Embattle
It seems that for every 50 things fixed another 25 are borken with with MMOG patches.

Yeah, with EvE i can well believe it ;)

Users who are viewing this thread