A WAR of Words

IainC

English WAR Community Manager
One of my favourite boards back when I read the DAoC forums for a living was the creative forum. Some of the entries were ... odd (yes Seel, I'm looking at you) but most were of a very high quality indeed.

Now, as you're reading a post on a WAR forum I'm going to make the assumption that you get the newsletter. I'm also going to assume that if you aren't already in the beta that you'd like to be. The more observant amongst you will have noticed that the newsletter features fan fiction every month and if your piece gets chosen, then you get a beta spot.

Can you see where I'm going with this?

There have been some winners recently from this side of the pond but overall the NA fans make up the majority of the entries and thus the winners. We at Goa would like to show EA Mythic just how good the European WAR fan fiction is. I've read some great pieces from guild boards, community forums and just random submissions to my email. I'm here to tell you to send that stuff in.

When your magnum opus is polished and ready for the harsh light of criticism, submit it here, sit back and wait for the fame, riches and beautiful men/women/furry creatures* to come to you.

Well maybe not the other stuff, but fame and a beta spot at any rate!

Let's see more European writing in the newsletter and less mis-spellings of common English words like 'colour', 'honour' and 'aluminium'!

You know it makes sense.

*delete as appropriate.

GReaper

Part of the furniture
Why not launch some more EU specific competitions to get more people involved?

Manisch Depressiv

Part of the furniture
Wondering when someone will just release a good game, without all that hype and without video diaries with failed comedians.

IainC

Why not launch some more EU specific competitions to get more people involved?

Those are happening as well. There are upcoming and current contests across Europe with partner websites. We are also going to be working with a lot of the US based sites that have a lot of European readers too.

Lexa

Fledgling Freddie
I've done a lot of creative writing in the past and I'm tempted to do this, was wondering if you could clear something up though IainC, would this spot in beta be one for now or one for a undisclosed time in the future?

The answer wont affect my decision to take part but I am curious.

IainC

I've done a lot of creative writing in the past and I'm tempted to do this, was wondering if you could clear something up though IainC, would this spot in beta be one for now or one for a undisclosed time in the future?

The answer wont affect my decision to take part but I am curious.

All beta contests, including the newsletter, are for indeterminate slots. If you win a beta invite then you won't usually get it straight away, it will depend on things like the power of your computer, the stage of beta and other factors.

ferore

Fledgling Freddie
One of the reasons why I've never bothered. My submission instantly because the property of EA Mythic, there is a small chance of winning but even when you do it could be a few months until you get the invite.

The game is launching in Q2 2008 so it hardly seem worth the effort considering I'm supposed to be getting a guild beta slot. Oh wait, they're also being delayed...

Tallen

Fledgling Freddie
Challenge accepted, lore submitted, lets see how it goes :)

DarkSnaker

Fledgling Freddie
I really want to get in beta, but my english isn't good enough to write one of those stories. I'm gonna try tho :p

Oskorei

Fledgling Freddie
Some people neither have the time, nor immagination to write a book about Warhammer. It kind of bugs me that beta spots are "lost" to people who do.

Tallen

Fledgling Freddie
Some people neither have the time, nor immagination to write a book about Warhammer. It kind of bugs me that beta spots are "lost" to people who do.

It's a short lore passage, not a book. Took me about 15 minutes, by the look of those submitted, most people take less than that :)

Oskorei

Fledgling Freddie
It's a short lore passage, not a book. Took me about 15 minutes, by the look of those submitted, most people take less than that :)

Well stuff that's written in 15 minutes is either very very very short, or very very very bad. I'm not sure what the use is. Just frustrating that it takes my beta-spots ;)

Talivar

Part of the furniture
Am i allowed to enter and try and win a friend a spot?:)

Tallen

Fledgling Freddie
Well stuff that's written in 15 minutes is either very very very short, or very very very bad. I'm not sure what the use is. Just frustrating that it takes my beta-spots ;)

Easy to write a short passage in 10 minutes, edit in in 5. No reason why something written in a short time must necessarily be bad. Some people overthink when writing, which is why many novels which take a lifetime to write are utter crap :)

If you want a beta slot, earn it. Personally I don't really want a beta slot, but can't resist a challenge :)

Oskorei

Fledgling Freddie
If you want a beta slot, earn it. Personally I don't really want a beta slot, but can't resist a challenge :)

I've earned it by playing DAoC for years and being a Warhammer fan all my life. Doesn't make me a story-writer.

Ah well....at least GOA gave me a T-shirt at the gameshow...

Talivar

Part of the furniture
The problem is though theres thousands of people who played daoc for eyars and been a fan of warhammer all their lifes:)you all deserve a spot of course but there just isnt enough yet

GReaper

Part of the furniture
I've earned it by playing DAoC for years and being a Warhammer fan all my life. Doesn't make me a story-writer.

Would've been nice if some of the most loyal GOA customers were given an opportunity to join in with the testing whilst the game is still in real design. Annoys me a bit when I see people who have sold their DAoC accounts (violating EULA/CoC) get invited to WAR.

The sign up form is a bit annoying as well. The US beta form allows you to enter your experience and why you want to test. I don't know if any of this is read but at least you can put on your previous experience to make it feel like you've got a chance. The EU beta selection just seems to be mostly random luck.

Vasconcelos

Part of the furniture
Go get your pen & paper lads!!
I'm an avid fantasy reader (cureently hooked to Malazan world) and already won a beta key this summer from the previous stories contest, so im the living proof of the success of this kind of challenges.
:)

Lexa

Fledgling Freddie
Well I've submitted my entry although I doubt it will be published, it's more in line with "secret lives of mobs" than the standard battle scene they have been publishing lately. It also has a dig at Americans :eek7:

Tallen

Fledgling Freddie
Would've been nice if some of the most loyal GOA customers were given an opportunity to join in with the testing whilst the game is still in real design. Annoys me a bit when I see people who have sold their DAoC accounts (violating EULA/CoC) get invited to WAR.

The sign up form is a bit annoying as well. The US beta form allows you to enter your experience and why you want to test. I don't know if any of this is read but at least you can put on your previous experience to make it feel like you've got a chance. The EU beta selection just seems to be mostly random luck.

Personally i'd say the random method is better. Why bother choosing people for a beta based on their "testing experience" which usually ammounts to a few days of free-play followed by a few more days QQ on a forum about why the game is crap :)

Bahumat

FH is my second home
It was a cold and stormy night, Bahumat the Witch Hunter walked into a tavern. It was not a normal tavern, but one run by Laddey.
He pulls out his Pistol and blasts the fuck out of the band performing "From Paris to Berlin".
He then shanks Requiel who's hiding in the corner with his cup of soup, then finishes up spinning really really fast so his cape spins, but also cuts off the top of Nate's head.

I will accept my Beta invite now please.

Oskorei

Fledgling Freddie
That surely deserves a beta spot, if anything else does. Srsly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom