A tribute: Your top 3 reasons DAOC is still the best pvp MMO

nysahtyk

Banned
Logi, don't listen to that scrub, he is nothing but a troll.

Nothing beats DAoC PvP. Games like EVE, that are supposed to be close to it, are nowhere near it. That is how good it is.

I doubt there will be another game that gets PvP as right as pre-ToA DAoC did.

syn

Regular Freddie
Examining well as I the ready to make that you around of to the state of these mail of forum to the needs I location of to which I to give will answer that I a translator and they the utilizing that this am or am because I as adversaries a now paper to find know that the legend of the old woman of that of the green Said That I the short phrases to utilize, But I have the partial unemployment so that he says that this to you that I knwo we some discussions in the post of gehadde and that you of in which I are not impressed excluded or you name of you that a to serve that self forgot, but I is want this to which now he says that I of the you (to) honestly, ;) Van the Wish for answer To Test and With the Einddilligence that I sincerely the spectacular gentleman and aantrekking to to it through the unbearable hearts you you considered. The beauty that well is away on my good friend this is the agreement that I to you on this moment in my life and now in the of that of morality that our ancestors have gezet for us in an enormous an and signaling far that our love for a someone overbrengt. :fluffle: You say that you a certain quantity of platinanoden. I believe that the darlings sixty platina are. I can with this help, want he approximately actual rape that platina its on that of Midgard and that can you they mammoth platina give him that you on Albion I. these are need, my charmeur and misses that of the known friend the movement satisfied statement explanation one? I believe that we to a type of an agreement can come. Rent now we walk for that of the state. Or I look to to my and-mailadres whether I give that we on this complete forum approximately a look coincide that now converses. Firstly the time and the call of the court of the of us and only in which the needs of a way we the export. :worthy: I am the one that firstly goes because I you as I yourself not knowledge not yourself, but I something, of which myself I will tell or when you of you I they a media Samenvloeiing around I to the contacts and at me someone want to have to show, that I irrespectueuxment did not, but it was responsible to set am because in the end of you trust of yoru Present I The Movement. What did I say? It rents me and a thing says nevertheless,runderachtig they represent please too do not do, the rule from going Under in that I a kind of cathedral food, that the KIND :)p) of baffoon of nobody drags, because I am not as this to take by the horse of the left mountain. My complete good is not only. Expect now I that you in in the life and get that that that does or you a legend of this play, that I are or only a beautiful person know, that through the steps because I in the grey dog, that trip Representative hills perhaps, the desire died, that I yourself all better person present. They were careful and desire that you a the large of that and of the beautiful beligerently separation regulate:wub:

[LA]Douglas

One of Freddy's beloved
DAOC has the best PvP but rvr on EU was way better for pvp for the following resons in my eyes

ppl willing to go out solo or make 8man grp and go out looking for fair fight there seem very little of this on US there is 3k+ players very little rvr gose on to show for it the player bace is what makes pvp and none seem willing to do much unless it's in there faver = zarg i found getting a grp on hib inpossble that why i quit after rr12

Everz

FH is my second home

Nothing beats DAoC PvP. Games like EVE, that are supposed to be close to it, are nowhere near it. That is how good it is.

Doesn't mean it is the current :D?

Genedril

Part of the furniture

Eve's a completely different kettle of fish. Unless it's blob vs. blob lag fest then you're looking at a more tactical approach to the fight and less using terrain and stuff (as all you can truely do is try and leverage range or wtfo if it goes tis up) to gain an advantage during the fight.

The other thing to bear in mind with Eve is it's not just the combat that's PvP. The markets are as well and you can PvP in ways DAoC could only dream about (some of the scams etc that exist and have existed in Eve are pretty complex and fully supported by the Devs) and if you mission in the wrong place that'll quickly become PvP you weren't ready for.

It's a completely different game though and if you're doing it properly then it is hard core indeed (and let's not forget the meta gaming). DAoC is one of the better PvP for it's type and it's a good deal more relaxed (even 8v8) which might be right up some peoples streets.

Toggers

One of Freddy's beloved
Doesn't mean it is the current :D?

this!

think my latest quit will be my last, it was laggy as hell worse than i remembered, was buggy in that i couldnt see any of my grpmates or other randoms names, zergy as hell and no solo or small man action......there mightve been somewhere but i sure as hell couldnt find it!

for me the problem is the longer it has gone on the less reasons i have to login,slowly but surely 99% of people i played with have quit, realm ranks arent really a target anymore so you dont get the feeling of achievment anymore, even the rvr zones dont have the same feeling as they used to, now its take a boat and join the zerg, if you get bored of that you go lab and its the same..... its just now port and zerg.

they shouldve launched OF/origins when they had the chance, hell even opening up cathal valley permanently along with DF will spread players out and would shake things up a bit.

Genedril

Part of the furniture
Not sure you need to spread players out more - there's huge tracts of NF that are pretty much empty. What you need to do is make the cluster f**king less appealing than it is now. That'd spread people out in an instant.

Bring back timered porting into enemy frontiers!

Gahn

Resident Freddy
1st all the people i miss
2nd RvR with all the people i miss
3rd i don't play cause Mythic is a bunch of tards ... and every other chance they got to deny it, they always try to manage to prove it ...

Fefner

Can't get enough of FH
i'll give 3 reasons daoc was the best mmo pvp wise pre toa and 3 reasons why its shit today.

pre-toa

1. no retarded items that turn you into superman
2. awesome rvr zones
3. no mls, cls, silly passive bonuses from items

daoc-present

1. nowt but zerg add zerg add zerg add zerg add ego ego zerg add zerg add
2. shit rvr zones, wank keep designs, piss poor class balance
3. bent items (see ml10/dragon shit) passive bonuses/stat caps, shit ra's (yes even the new aug x 9 etc) mls, cls.

100% agree but add - silly quests that give rps for reward, now that really was the final straw for me.

Chosen

Resident Freddy
Seems most agree that DAoC was the best because of the PvP system.

That is why I am waiting for Guild Wars 2 to come out now, since the PvP system there is inspired by the 3 way fighting like DAoC!

World versus World - Guild Wars 2 Wiki (GW2W)

"randomly matched up against two other worlds. Those match-ups will be rotated every week to match worlds against those of similar strength."

Madmaxx

FH is my second home
this!

think my latest quit will be my last, it was laggy as hell worse than i remembered, was buggy in that i couldnt see any of my grpmates or other randoms names, zergy as hell and no solo or small man action......there mightve been somewhere but i sure as hell couldnt find it!

for me the problem is the longer it has gone on the less reasons i have to login,slowly but surely 99% of people i played with have quit, realm ranks arent really a target anymore so you dont get the feeling of achievment anymore, even the rvr zones dont have the same feeling as they used to, now its take a boat and join the zerg, if you get bored of that you go lab and its the same..... its just now port and zerg.

they shouldve launched OF/origins when they had the chance, hell even opening up cathal valley permanently along with DF will spread players out and would shake things up a bit.

I agree with this, and the fact they keep boosting characters everyother patch.

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
I still don't see why they havent turned DAOC to the FTP model yet.

I mean theres what? 3000 players max world wide now? something like that and its like £9 for a months sub hrmm they still make £324,000 a year or something like that like which leads to my next question, why the fuck havent they done anything to expand on DAOC if they're still making that much? I mean they have how many staff members currently working on DAOC? it has to be a measly hand full so it can't cost that much to maintain DAOC when taking server costs + staff into account.

I guess EA just wants it to die out which is quite sad tbh given what they could earn from DAOC with a good staff and the right resources.

Genedril

Part of the furniture
No idea on actual numbers but I'd suspect there are more than 3k active subscribers if you count Euros, US and others. The reason they're not expanding DAoC is that it isn't EA/Mythics flagship game (Warhammer is and Star Wars will be). That means that this is where the cash goes. Therefore the people that work on it are probably people that work on 1 of the other 2 at quite low level and have been given DAoC to monitor at the same time.

Costs of running servers and even limited staffing aren't that low. If you've ever been involved in running a decent sized comms room you'll know that the cost of keeping it operational is not to be sneezed at. Even if it shares rack space with Warhammer then it's still going to have to fund it's residency.

DAoC will never earn serious cash - it was never really pushed pre-WoW and now it's too out of date to recover any sort of market share. This doesn't mean it's bad, just that it was brow beaten by something else despite being out first and it's not going to get people moving in.

Why move to an old game where in game time is a definite advantage?
Why move to an old game when there are new games coming out?
Why move to an old game when all your friends play something else?
Why move to an old game when there's another old game that has huge uptake?
The only people that would come to DAoC are PvP fans and tbh there are other PvP games that are pretty solid and aren't way down the owners priority list. In addition some PvP fans aren't going to take as it doesn't allow for FFA play (unless you go to 'dred).

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
No idea on actual numbers but I'd suspect there are more than 3k active subscribers if you count Euros, US and others. The reason they're not expanding DAoC is that it isn't EA/Mythics flagship game (Warhammer is and Star Wars will be). That means that this is where the cash goes. Therefore the people that work on it are probably people that work on 1 of the other 2 at quite low level and have been given DAoC to monitor at the same time.

Costs of running servers and even limited staffing aren't that low. If you've ever been involved in running a decent sized comms room you'll know that the cost of keeping it operational is not to be sneezed at. Even if it shares rack space with Warhammer then it's still going to have to fund it's residency.

DAoC will never earn serious cash - it was never really pushed pre-WoW and now it's too out of date to recover any sort of market share. This doesn't mean it's bad, just that it was brow beaten by something else despite being out first and it's not going to get people moving in.

The only people that would come to DAoC are PvP fans and tbh there are other PvP games that are pretty solid and aren't way down the owners priority list. In addition some PvP fans aren't going to take as it doesn't allow for FFA play (unless you go to 'dred).

Fair points but I strongly disagree about DAOC never making money again, in the right hands anything can make money its all determined by the amount of time you invest into it :p in this instance very little thus its getting nowhere.

Genedril

Part of the furniture
Fair points but I strongly disagree about DAOC never making money again, in the right hands anything can make money its all determined by the amount of time you invest into it :p in this instance very little thus its getting nowhere.

Well I wasn't talking theoreticals for the cash bit. In it's present state EA\Bioware\Mythic (or whatever they call it now) will not invest in DAoC any more than they will invest it UO (which is unfortunate). Warhammer is and SW(some letters) will be where the live cash goes. Obviously SW is where the dev cash is currently going.

I can think of no reason that any person new to MMO's would choose DAoC to play (and I like the game). Perhaps the only exception would be that you had a bunch of friends playing (10+) and they had the resources, time and patience to help you set up and then teach you some of whatever gamestyle it was that the new person wanted.

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
interested to see how SW turns out tbh personally I think it'll be a big fat flop going by mythic/ea's past mistakes but we'll see I guess.

Aada

Part of the furniture
It was great what? 2002? i got the game on release day while still playing my first MMO love Ultima Online (the king of mmo's) absolutely amazing but they ruined the game with TOA it all started from the moment that expansion pack was released i would have loved to have seen some hard numbers on how their subs were dropping after the first month of TOA.

Yeah it was a great great game that i will remember for as long as i live i can still remember some battles i had to this day.

They ruined it though and Mythic isn't even Mythic anymore i'd be suprised if a single developer from DAOC was still at Mythic because EA gutted that studio from the moment they got their hands on it.

There will never be a DAOC 2 and there will never ever be another game like DAOC.

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
role on Diablo III and Dungeon Siege III - I say :p I reckon Diablo III will be the final nail in daoc's coffin for these reasons:

1) its fucking awesome

2) the pvp is going to be amazing with sooooo many different character builds available (I think they said there was around 97,000,000,000 possible builds)

3) its free after purchase unlike daoc

4) it has fuck loads of replayability

5) has insane potential and huge resources to back future expansions

----

Dungeon Siege III looks quite impressive aswell tbh.

Kami

Can't get enough of FH

I totally agree, DAOC might have made a bit of money but that probably only covered costs with a little left over, not a massive profit. The merger of servers is probably more to do with freeing up rack space and giving free-spares for remaining servers than anything else, I'd be shocked if they hadn't moved to VMs by now to further reduce hardware costs.

The biggest shame in PC gaming for me is that DAOC wasn't marketed like WoW was, when it was a vastly superior product (it just needed a better GUI). However Mythic simply didn't have the funds that EA had to do marketing. It's a huge shame really that they didn't get that chance.

Dvaerg

Part of the furniture
It was great what? 2002? i got the game on release day while still playing my first MMO love Ultima Online (the king of mmo's) absolutely amazing but they ruined the game with TOA it all started from the moment that expansion pack was released i would have loved to have seen some hard numbers on how their subs were dropping after the first month of TOA.

Yeah it was a great great game that i will remember for as long as i live i can still remember some battles i had to this day.

They ruined it though and Mythic isn't even Mythic anymore i'd be suprised if a single developer from DAOC was still at Mythic because EA gutted that studio from the moment they got their hands on it.

There will never be a DAOC 2 and there will never ever be another game like DAOC.

They actually mentioned about daoc 2 on their facebook site that they were working on it o_O

Toggers

One of Freddy's beloved
They actually mentioned about daoc 2 on their facebook site that they were working on it o_O

it was said long ago that they had abandoned it and put all available resources into the development of warhammer.

daoc 2 + origins are both long dead im afraid. :(

Everz

FH is my second home
Shame, the DAoC concepts (RvR/3 Realms etc) should be the basis for any PvP game, everything else has been total gash in comparision.

Chimaira

Can't get enough of FH
1. The concept RvR. Unbeatable to this day. Huge zones, not instanced. I dont play anymore cause the game is seriously passed its time. Cut the subs in half stop doing stupid patches and leave it to die out.

2. Not really an RvR alone thing, but that you knew/reqognized anyone both friend and foe. You met someone. You remembered them. For good and bad. compared to WoW for ex. when you see a person once and never again

3. Group viability. Go as a trooper with your realm friends and defend your castles!! (Whoever we who love 8v8 put it its a damn sweet concept and we all remember that at one point loving that shit except my PC pre Thane aoe gfx nerf) Or the 8v8 concept which tbh was not Mythic's invention it was perfectly suited and they should adapt their later games if they come to that.

P.S Gothwaite duels where awesome (if you where melee) :D

Whisperess

Can't get enough of FH
i would have loved to have seen some hard numbers on how their subs were dropping after the first month of TOA.
Well, if one would draw conclusions only from looking at:
http://users.telenet.be/mmodata/Charts/Subs-2.png

- one sees that the drop-off wasn't really that bad after ToA (even though I agree it was part of why it died in the end). Judging from that image though it dies off in late 2004; and disregarding anything else I'd say it was New Frontiers that killed it off and Catacombs couldn't save the game from its dying breath.

However, mix this image in:
http://users.telenet.be/mmodata/Charts/Subs-1.png

- and one can see what other driving motion put the final nail in the coffin late 2004.

While the drop-off doesn't look that big when ToA arrived, it had grown almost linearly in popularity from when Shrouded Isles was introduced. But when ToA was released, it stopped growing completely. One could easily argue that the drop-offs were matched by newcomers coming in to check out the expansion. Had they not released ToA, it could've meant upwards to 25,000 more subs before WoW arrived in late 2004.

If you're wondering why nobody is making a new Daoc today - it's sadly because the numbers they produced would in hind-sight be nothing short of a complete and utter failure by today's standards. Even if it had what could be considered the best RvR ever created.

Although, there's a lot of rose-tinted goggles floating around in remembering what was many people's first experience in a near perfect mix of cooperative and competetive MMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom