A stroke at 53.

Laddey

FH is my second home
Phone call at 5:30 this morning, it was my mum on the phone. She was in tears telling me to come home as Joe (mums boyfriend) was having a stroke.

I ran straight home and the ambulances / paramedics where here already, near enough instantly. I mean within 3 minutes.

He was in and out of conciousness(sp).

He COULD move his left side, which is the weakest side. Right side was fine.

He wasn't sure of what day it was etc...I hope he's ok as he's got a 6 year old son to look after.

The poor bloke is 53 years old, he quit smoking 6 months ago. I can't beleive it.

We may have had our disagreements in the past, as i've grown up with Joe we've grown fairly close and put our disagreements aside for not just our sake, but for Joseph (brother)'s sake.

He managed to move himself from the left side of the bed, to the right hand side to get in the wheel chair. The paramedics had to put him in the chair.

Just spoke to my mum, she's in absolute bits. I've told my little brother that his dads a little poorly and they've gone to fix him at the hospital and we will nip up later. Me and my mum come to an agreement that Joseph shouldn't see his dad in such a state. Which is understandable.

The nurse/doctors said his left hand side has recovered slightly and has gained some more strength. At his bedside he COULD lift his LEFT hand above his head.

I hope it's only a mild one. They don't know if it is or isn't yet.

They have taken him in for a chest x-ray. I'm no doctor or anything but i know it's to do with the brain.

Can anybody shed some light on why he's going for a chest xray?

Thanks all.

chipper

Can't get enough of FH
think its to see if any of the major arteries have been affected or become blocked. my mum had one when they thought she had had a stroke.

hope he gets better

Thorwyn

FH is my second home
I`m not a doctor either, but I guess the x-ray is a prophylactical check-up to see whether the heart suffered any damage from the stroke. (The heart works via nerves too).
From your description, it looks like he suffered a mild stroke. The doctors will have to find out what areas of his brain are affected and which body functions are showing shortfalls.
Anyways, good luck to him and your family! Fingers crossed that he´ll be ok again in a couple of weeks.

Laddey

FH is my second home
Thanks for the support.

It couldn't of happened to a nicer guy.

I understand now, as i'm older than living round here you need a father figure in your life. He has no choice but to get better.

He has a 6 year old to look after, if he doesn't have a father figure in his life then he can easily go off the rails when he's older. A father figure is everything when growing up around this area. So he has no choice but to get the fuck up and come home.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Sounds mild Laddey, if he can still move his left side then it was not as bad as it could have been? How is his speech?

My dad had a stroke at a similar age, he lost a lot of strength on his left side, couldn't walk or use his left arm properly for about 6 months. And had trouble speaking for a couple of months, that was considered a light stroke.

Laddey

FH is my second home
His speech isn't perfect but it's clear and you can understand. My mum said he was slurring his words but we spoke to him and he seems not to bad.

I hope it is mild.

How is your dad now Ch3t? Can he live a normal life?

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Yeah fine, he never went back to work full time as he used to do all the DIY for our properties. His blood pressure is still high and he has had to make some lifestyle changes, but otherwise he is okay, his left side is strong again - but not as strong as it was.

Zenith.UK

Part of the furniture
If he's maintained control of his left side, it sounds like he had a transient ischaemic attack (TIA), also known as a "mini-stroke".
The fantastically good news is that most people get over TIAs in a matter or hours or a couple of days. The not so good news is that it shows the arteries aren't in a good condition.

The chest scan/x-ray is to see if the heart and lungs are affected by cardiovascular disease. If there is some disease then it might cause tiny blood clots or even bits of arterial plaque to break off into the blood stream.

It's also good news that the paramedics got there as fast as they did. Fast treatment is key to recovery from cerebrovascular problems. Right now, he sounds like he's in good hands.

CorNokZ

Currently a stay at home dad
Hey mate

I'm so sorry to hear this! I know what you and your family has been through the last couple of years and this isn't exactly what you guys needed :( Hope he gets better mate! All the best!

Laddey

FH is my second home
He's had another scan, CT scan. It showed nothing basically. There was no bleeding to the brain, so surely this is a good sign?

Thanks for the support all.

He has also lost some sight in his left side.

CorNokZ

Currently a stay at home dad
No bleeding is a really good sign yeah. My nan had a brain heamoridge(!?) basically a bleeding in the brain and never really recovered. So a sign of no bleeding in the brain is great news

Laddey

FH is my second home
Thanks for the support. Going to go see him at 6. My mum's there now seeing how things are going.

He can't stop sleeping my mum said, is this his body being in shock, resting, healing or what? :(

Naffets

Can't get enough of FH
i'm no doctor lad, but a stroke is a tremendously stressful thing for the body, suspect its normal for him to sleep this much - whilst you're there, ask the doc - get an authoritative answer :)

Laddey

FH is my second home
i'm no doctor lad, but a stroke is a tremendously stressful thing for the body, suspect its normal for him to sleep this much - whilst you're there, ask the doc - get an authoritative answer :)
Yeah thanks dude.

I understand i should be asking the doctor and stuff, but you know how it is when you're in the middle of a time when nothing can be answered!

He coaches under 7's, he lives for it. I mean, really...He LOVES it. I just hope this won't effect stuff that he has put his time, effort and his heart into it. Such as coaching, work, everything.

Ezteq

Queen of OT
sweetie I don't know if this will help but strokes are odd things the sooner yu can get to treat the stroke victim the bigger chance of a full/er recovery. I worked with a lot of people who had had strokes and some of them you honestly couldn't tell they'd ever had one, it takes time and rehab but it's often the case that they do get better.

thoughts are with you and yours
/hugs
xxx

Roo Stercogburn

Resident Freddy
Really sorry, it must be a horribly traumatic time for everyone.

Regards and best wishes to Joe for the best possible recovery.

Laddey

FH is my second home
Thanks all. It's nice to hear.

Well, he's had an ischemic stroke. Been doing nothing else but reading about it today. Just a shock to the system.

I went to see him at 7 oclock. He was very very sleepy. He'd fall asleep, wake up, crack a joke and fall back asleep. He's with it but he isn't?? He's there mentally but phsyically he's a mess.

All his left arm is numb, no sense of feeling etc. Can't move it. His leg isn't to bad, he moved it quite quickly today when cracking a little joke.

He's lost sight in his left eye, i'm not sure how much of the sight but the nurse said it can affect the optical nerve.

His mouth & tongue is the same :/

He's a fit bloke, active. As if!

Can stopping smoking suddenly, thats it, one day no more fags cause this you reckon?

Thanks again

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
sorry to hear this Laddey. hope the fellow makes a good recovery.

TIA and CVA can actually happen to anyone at any time really, I don't think quitting smoking had anything to do with it. if anything, it would have had a beneficial effect prolly.

Laddey

FH is my second home
It's gone from a mild stroke to a severe stroke.

He's at high risk of having another stroke within 30 days. He's VERY poorly, but stable.

The doctor said he isn't overly worried, but cautious.

I'm finding it hard to see Joe, if i was to talk about it in person to somebody, at this moment in time i would no doubt break down. It's so so hard, my mum is in bits. We have to tell Joseph (6 year old brother) what has happened, it's becoming overwhelming, difficult for me.

This has happened, and my brothers trial is coming up tomorrow, thursday and friday and that's for something he hasn't done. That should work out, but it's just everything building up it's becoming hard to cope.

People are turning to me for answers, i'm not a doctor, i don't know alot about anything. It's so hard. I'm the eldest now, with Joe and Jamie not in the house people are coming to me for answers which i can't answer. My mum has done nothing but cry since yesterday morning. It's so hard, i know i have to keep it together but i just can't.

Have you ever seen a lip quiver? Well that shit is moving when you see a 53 year old man, whos just had a stroke do it.

I know it's very common, but it's such a disturbing image. I know it's only a lip quiver but it looks like he's about to cry. Oh god i can't see him incase it happens again. Typing this now, explaining about it i'm almost in tears. I can't turn to my friends for help because they don't understand what i'm going through. The hardest thing they have done is wash their hands when the finger slips through the bog roll when wiping their ass.

I'm alone. I know i shouldn't feel like this but iam It's tremendously difficult. I just don't know what to do.

Thanks ever so much for your support everybody. I really do appreciate it. Atleast some people listen.

Thanks again. xxx

Chronictank

FH is my second home
It's not all dire mate, my grandad had a major stroke (lost movement in half his body, had no idea where he was and couldn't speak) and is now well, so its not unheard of to get a full recovery

If the doc isn't worried that is a good sign, they need to keep them in regardless in case of a relapse
I suspect they will make him sort his life out though (exercise, diet) and they will put him on pills he will have to take for a couple of years

Might have been a shock to his system going from ciggies everyday to none at all and triggered an underlying condition

Main thing is you stay positive around him, so he thinks there is a chance at least

As for your brother i would just be honest since kids are pretty bright so he will realise something has gone wrong;
Just say to him something along the lines of his old man had a problem happening inside and it went to his brain and made him sick, the docs are working hard on making him better. And you can only visit him for short periods as he is tierd and needs to sleep to get better

May also want to mention he cant catch anything so he doesnt worry about that

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
Went through this myself with my father so have an idea of what your going through. Years of chronic angina and several strokes in my fathers case. The problem with strokes is that unless the drugs breakdown the clots and debris that cause the obstructions they will repeat.

I do hope he recovers and changes his life style enough to live many more years. Not so sure managing a kids football team will do him much good for quite a while yet. The stresses involved should be avoided.

Ezteq

Queen of OT
B2's nana had a stroke and it was awful seeing her looking so different and frail, don't feel alone sweetie we are all here for eachother (as everyone frequently demonstrates) I found it helps enormously to get feelings out even if it is embarrassing or upsetting especially those are the ones you need to get out and that's why we're here.

We are all thining of you don't feel alone, it helps me when I am sad atm to know there are people out there concerned for me I hope it will help you, because we are and we do care.

/hugs
xxx

Wonk

Can't get enough of FH
aw, I'm sorry to hear all this laddey :(

last saturday, my cousins best friend died next to my cousin at work - he was 18. It can happen to anyone really, even though we all want to live till we're 70+.

all the best wishes mate. I hope he recovers. It's never nice to comfort any of your own parents.

Tilda

Hi Laddey,

Sorry to hear about your mums bf, hows he doing now?
My parents are dr's so if you have any questions you want me to ask em just yell and I'll see what I can do.

Stay strong,

Tild

Laddey

FH is my second home
Thanks again for the support.

Well, it's turned from a sizeable stroke to a severe stroke. It's effected 1/3 of his brain, the right hand side which controls the left side of the body.

Joe is a strong willed person, strong big bloke. He will pull through, he has too.

Today he's been alert more than ever. Wide awake, no drowsiness he's on the ball cracking one liners etc. He seems to be getting better.

He may have lost the left field of vision in his left eye. He may never walk again. He may never use his arm again it's still early days. But Joe is strong. He's gonna be fine.

And thanks Tilda, it's much appreciated. I seem to be an expert on ischemic strokes now lol, too much knowledge is a deadly thing as they say.

Thanks again, i do appreciate it.

Laddey

FH is my second home
He's bright as a button this morning. Brighter than he's been since Monday.

He's gonna be ok, he's fully aware of what's going on which is a good thing. He understands it's a slow, grueling process of recovery. All the family are pulling together now, when the time counts we are here.

All differences aside, we're all getting on great for Joes sake. I think this will bring us all so much closer.

Come on Joe! Pull through me old pal.

Thing's are slowly looking up for him...My brother on the other hand, well that's for another day.

Thankyou for your kind words and support everybody. I may have been a dick in the past, but atleast when the time counts you're all here with your kind words.

I know it's only an internet forum, but trust me...everybody's words and guidence make me feel so much better. Thankyou. xxx

Tilda

Glad things seem to be looking up for Joe and youself Laddey.
As you say, Rehab will be hard on all of you, but the harder you push, and the harder Joe pushes, the better his recovery will be.

fettoken

I am a FH squatter
Keep pushing forward Laddey and hope for the best, you have ppl that supports you it seems so yeah! Good luck to you and Joe.

Laddey

FH is my second home
Keep pushing forward Laddey and hope for the best, you have ppl that supports you it seems so yeah! Good luck to you and Joe.
Thanks man.

Things are getting better slowly but surely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom