A simple subject for discussion.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Many times i've heard of people that "SWG is boring" or "The endgame of DAoC is boring".

Boring being the mainword in any context.

I think that a game isn't boring in itself, but the world just isn't interesting enough. people like to watch, as an example, Matrix over and over again. Now, it's not boring or repeatitive to anyone. They enjoy it, in my opinion, because of the world.

Now to the point, do you think that a game is boring just because it is or is a game boring(or repeatitive) because the world(In SWG, it's starwars. In DAoC it's the knights/trolls/etc) isn't interesting enough?

Ghost

Fledgling Freddie
I would say that it depends, some games are all trough boring, some have boring elements, can be bad playability, bad atmosphere, etc.

In daoc i find the most boring part the "downtime" while you have to wait for people to show up , try to find groups, etc, in the end you have spent most of your evening waiting.

Also it would be fun to se some world changes in daoc, like mobs take control over a city and such things, something like horizon have (not the best game overall though).

Thrildif

Fledgling Freddie
I always think that bordeom comes from over familiarity with something. If you play a game long enough, and things don't change then you're likely to get bored with it. Then you go either go look for something else to do, play another game, RL, whatever.. or you have to try and change the way you play.. change realms, change chars etc.

fetwelvezz

Loyal Freddie
old.Tohtori said:
I think that a game isn't boring in itself, but the world just isn't interesting enough.

Define WORLD or I'll be laughing my ass off for the rest of my life :b

Ezteq

Queen of OT
nah, its boring cos all my friends quit the game and now some have come bk after i quit and i really cba with toa ml's and artifact stuff. but when there was all my mates playing i was never bored

SilverHood

FH is my second home
It's boring because there's nothing to do that's worth doing.

Players play MMO's because of the scope - to play with thousands of other players. This sets it apart from 32 man deathmatches. Or whatever.

People see their character advancing - a reason to continue playing: continous improvement.

But the world they play in is static - Jordheim, Camelot, etc is pretty much identical to how it was at release.
Players can't change the world - which leads to boredom, in my opinion.
Give players control of the world, much like in UO, and Camelot would be a lot more interesting. Imagine there actually being player owned shops in cities!
Imagine that taking a keep actually meant something in the world, other than Darkness Falls access.

SWG fails in that there is so much to do, but it's the same in the end.
PVE, Crafting, and PvP.
The PvE is dull, Crafting is grinding, and PvP was, when I played, broken, and dominated by cookie cutter templates.
There's little fun to be had, and as Ghost said, downtime is the ultimate cause of boredom.

Jpeg[LOD]

Fledgling Freddie
i find daoc fun and boring at same timew

i think the ain reason people think rvr is boring is because of the RR and FOTM grp difference.

for example the HIGH rr fotm grps are "bored" of the endgame because they find it so easy to wtfpwn low rr grps.

LOW rr find it boring cos they constantly get beaten by high RR grps who ALWAYS can and do wtf pwn them.. even if they run in 2+fg's the high rr's generally kick there asses.

pve can be boring . but not to to the content (cos there is a SHIT load of ways to exp . wether it be quests . artifacts . normal exp grind. but there is a shit load of varience in mobs also.

the boring part in pve is how long it takes.. yes it can be monotonous at times.. but the exp curve at igher levels is damn frustrating . and imo takes to long (especially for those /pt players) ....

speeding up the exp curve by a long way ... and maybe even lettign certain sought after drops be farmed from ANY mobs as long as they are of the same lvl . so people can goto different hunt spots for the same drops instead of people always camping the same mobs for same drop/scroll etc etc. and also give artifacts a MUCH more broader range to exp them on .

but reducing the effectivness of a high rr opossed to a low rr imo wil make rvr much more fun from all angles.. lower rr grps will have a better chance (albeit a small one) of beting the high rr grps.

Cavex ElSaviour

Fledgling Freddie
the same aspect that makes the game so addictive is also the boring part. the people. Waiting is such a bitch in daoc, and its generaly for me the killer to log. Then again, the interaction between all the people makes it more interesting then any any solo game.

Cozak

Part of the furniture
old.Tohtori said:
Many times i've heard of people that "SWG is boring" or "The endgame of DAoC is boring".

Boring being the mainword in any context.

I think that a game isn't boring in itself, but the world just isn't interesting enough. people like to watch, as an example, Matrix over and over again. Now, it's not boring or repeatitive to anyone. They enjoy it, in my opinion, because of the world.

Now to the point, do you think that a game is boring just because it is or is a game boring(or repeatitive) because the world(In SWG, it's starwars. In DAoC it's the knights/trolls/etc) isn't interesting enough?

SWG is the definition of boring :p Played for 2 weeks then got so sick i gave account away, got master marksman & commando 0-0-3-2 for 2 weeks i did the same thing over and over and over literally rancor groups more rancors groups and then even more rancor groups. First time i have ever got sick of a game so quickly i think. Only fun thing was driving my swoop about, give horses in daoc you can control like on EverQuest.

Anyhow /rant off :p

harm

Fledgling Freddie
Daoc got a tad more boring when i first discovered that the world consisted of squared zones of identical size... :eek6:

Teh FnoRd

Fledgling Freddie
rewozz said:
Define WORLD or I'll be laughing my ass off for the rest of my life :b
I think that's the key. If you can difine the whole game-world it gets boring.
Prolly why RL never really is boring. :) just unfair sumtimes.

Thorwyn

FH is my second home
In my opinion, the reason why games like daoc or SWG are getting boring is not that the world isn´t interesting enough. If that was the case, then people all over the world certainly wouldn´t play Quake for over 5 years now, or play tournament chess for their entire lifetime. Both are rather small "worlds" (in terms of room/space you can explore and find new things). The reason - I think - is, that dames like DAOC and SWG (and Diablo in the same context) are not skillbased, so there´s no learning curve after you´ve reached a certain level. Every semi-decent player can do well in RvR once he´s basically familiar with the char and has a certain RvR experience (i.e. he´s not acting like a muppet out there).
Of course, there´s still something new to learn and you can still increase your skill. But the ratio of skill on one hand and equipment/RR/RA´s on the other hand is just not skillbased enough.
Games like DAOC and Dibalo are working through a simple formula: time = success. Constantly beating up blue cons will get you to 50. Constantly farming Mephi will get you the Windforce. Constantly hanging around in Emain will get you RR`s. Constantly killing cows will get you to 99. That´s the pattern, the more time you spend, the better you are (charwise).

Clipse

Fledgling Freddie
u put SWG and DAOC in the same Bracket O_O

SWG was fun till u level up, then there is nothing to do.

Whereas, DAOC, the fun starts once u r lvled up, is one of the best games u have ever played.

Korax

Fledgling Freddie
Im still playing because I know great changes are comming to this game. The current RvR is tons of fun, but no matter how good a thing is, it gets boring after doing it a thousand times over. Thats where NF comes in. :D

The same way noone visits a website that never changes, noone (or very few) would play this game if it was still at v.1.10.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Should've defined world better as it seems...

With world i meant the background story, ambience and such.

As said, with SWG it's starwars and with DAoC it's trolls and camelot and all that.

MKJ

Fledgling Freddie
Problem with DAOC

I think DAOC is a great game otherwise i wouldn't have played for so long and enjoyed myself so much. For anyone offa competitive nature it holds all you could possibly want. But after a while the reason that kept me playing is also the reason for my eventual dislike. You realize that you are not competing on level terms. You can't prove you are a better player than someone from another realm cos you are so different. This has eaten away at me for quite a while and steadily grown. The 3 realms though works in some aspects is also the reason for my eventual unrest. How can you prove you are better than someone else unless you are the same? This has finally unsettled me enough to leave which is a shame cos the game is definitely a good one to play. I know i could play on a pvp server but to start again is just too much to consider.

MKJ

fetwelvezz

Loyal Freddie
You don't have to be the same to prove you're better, all characters have strengths and weaknesses and it's by using them properly you prove your worth.

The lion who kills the gazelle succeeds because the gazelle failed to use its agility to escape.

In other words... the zerker died because he's a total gimp nowdays :D

Etaew

Can't get enough of FH
GOA should do more campaigns and events ;) i loved the time i ran up to some guards and was shocked that they were getting killed by big bad things and they killed me too :eek: and then we had to retake the keep from the mobs

but the main driving force for me with this game is the people.. without it, it would be so boring.. and rvr is always interesting :eek: when your winning :s

Oro

Fledgling Freddie
Always done a little bit of everything. Have never played just to get items or RAs or now MLs and artifacts (just an item variant to me). Its always been people and having a laugh with people. The actual hunting was more to me than the result at the end.

The game is just the framework in which this happens. If I'm solo, I'm bored very fast. The actual mechanics and graphics for solo play don't stand up to any single player game currently on the market. As soon as you add people in, it changes completely.

Though most interest comes from having new things to do, because I've never doggedly stuck at one thing repeatedly for months I still get a lot of fun. The variation comes from finding new (and in my case generally really stupid) ways to do apparently familiar things and tbh most of my satisfaction has always come from doing things that benefit my friends and fellow players.

And though its made me unpopular in some places, I've actually managed to get back to having something totally new to do :)

Gengi

Fledgling Freddie
I think they both started to get boring when I stopped caring about my characters. Gengee was brilliant fun to play for the 2 years, and the SWG Gengi was fun too. Then I started to care less and less about them.
Gengee's downfall was possibly determination, champs were no longer required for RvR, I must admit to being a bit miffed about that as it took me 18 months to level him :D . It was not only that, a few of the people I played with left or became even more casual than me. SWG similair story, except it was much quicker, SWG didn't have the same hook for me that DAOC did and the patches came a lot quicker and I was playing catch up even more than in DAOC.
A large part of my problem with MMORPG's is how I work, this is not the fault of the MMORPG's, just a fact of life. I will try Evercrack II when it comes out (providing my system is good enough) I may even give WOW a try. I don't think I will be returning to either DAOC or SWG I just don't have the time.

Later

Danya

Fledgling Freddie
Backstory was never the issue for me in DAoC. The problem was the endgame is inherently boring for me. PvE encounters are fine, but they're very fixed, so unless you have a constant influx of new PvE content (like say EQ does) they become boring very quickly. RvR is a similar issue - a lot of fights went exactly the same way. Patches and such to change things and mix it up a bit didn't come often enough to stave off the boredom. Some of the most exciting RvR fights I had were actually in DF - the nature of the zone makes for much more exciting fights than Emain's flat green plains. Unfortunately, no one wants to fight in DF these days, it's just midgard's cash farming zone.
The other aspet of it was people - too many people I knew in DAoC quit, without your friends being there it's just not fun any more. :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom