A simple request for help guys

G

Hi all...
Sorry if I sound like a total lamer but I am in schtuck...
Due to my HD going down, I had to reinstall Tribes
frown.gif

Unfortunately now I can't manage to patch it okay - I've tried 1.0 to 1.4.1 and 1.0 to 1.5.
Each time it gets 25% through patching -then it gets to base\entities.vol and says something along the lines of 'error:invalid file (path where tribes installed)'
Then when I try to do it again, it says (at the same bit), 'Old file not found. however a file of the same name was found'. Now I understand the last bit as I'm not a total dork - honest.
Any ideas guys??? I've tried everything on the official FAQ - no luck.
If u can't help me with that, could anyone tell me the IP address/details of the UK master server becuase I am reduced to playing our Yank colonial friends who seem to have had an irony bypass...!
Cheers (hopefully) in advance
PS - I am the wee brother of (NDz)Xtro - Brit - I believe you've been chatting to him and Sooze- they're the Royal Engineers based in Germany (now in Kosovo
frown.gif
...) He says hi!
One last thing - sorry to jump topic - but where do I go to try and get recruited - I want to join a clan - prefer defence - I'm okay but am a good temaplayer!
Well cheers- sorry to go on
Xtro

O

old.VINCENT

From http://www.tribesplayers.com/tribesplayers/faq.html#mem98

For persistent difficulties, follow the procedures outlined here to install the Tribes patch:

1) Click Start-Programs-Dynamix-Starsiege Tribes. Click Uninstall Tribes, and follow the prompts.
2) Locate the Tribes folder on the hard drive to which it was installed (the default installation is C:\Dynamix\Tribes). Right click on the Tribes folder, select and click Cut.
3) Close the open windows, then right click on the Windows Desktop. Click Paste to move the remaining Tribes files to the Desktop.
4) Reinstall the game.
5) After Tribes has been successfully installed, download the patch from ftp://ftp.sierra.com/pub/pc/patches. Click on the file "tribes10to14.exe", select "Save To Disk" and place it in a new folder on the C: drive labeled TribesPatch.

After the patch download is complete, it will be necessary to close programs running in the background before installing the patch. To do this:

1) Press CTRL+ALT+DEL on the keyboard.
2) Click once on one of the listed items to highlight it. NOTE: Do not highlight either Explorer or Systray. It is crucial to keep these items.
3) Click End Task.
4) When the Close Programs window disappears, press CTRL+ALT+DEL again.
5) Select another file other than Explorer or Systray and click End Task.
6) If a message window appears saying the program in question is busy or not responding, click the End Task button in the window.
7) Repeat steps 1 through 6 until Explorer and Systray are the only items remaining.

The patch can now be executed. Locate the folder to which the patch was downloaded, then double click the file. IMPORTANT: make certain that the patch is pointed to the correct directory to which Tribes was installed (C:\Dynamix\Tribes by default).

If you continue to have problems, try starting your computer in SAFE MODE before applying the patch. To do this, press F8 while your computer is booting up and message about loading Windows appears. If this message goes by too quickly, put a 3 1/2" floppy disk, not a bootdisk, in the A: drive. When a message about the disk appears, remove the disk and press F8.

In the case of persistent problems, scan the target hard disk with a virus detection utility that has been recently upgraded. However, some virus detection software does not detect a recent virus, known as CIH, which alters the properties of .exe files. More information regarding this virus can be found at http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/kill_cih.html.

After the patch has been successfully installed, double click the Tribes folder on the Desktop. Copy any custom skins, graphics files or other custom files back into the Dynamix\Tribes folder

O

old.Ewan

Few things to answer here :

>Unfortunately now I can't manage to patch it okay - I've tried 1.0 to 1.4.1 and 1.0 to 1.5.

Get the large (20mb ish) update, available form a few of the tribes sites, thatll update it. Either that, or reinstall from the cd again, then patch before doing anything.

>IP address/details of the UK master server

t1ukm1.masters.dynamix.com

>where do I go to try and get recruited

Right now, here or http://www.tribesplayers.co.uk message board - or in a day or 2 goto http://www.barrysworld.com/tribesnation which will have a recruitment section.

Also, subscribe to the uktribes list at@ uktribes-request@minos.co.uk, which most of the tribe leaders are on.

[BR] Ewan

[This message has been edited by Ewan (edited 29 June 1999).]

[This message has been edited by Ewan (edited 29 June 1999).]

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom